Black screen switching between menu's

RokuGuys

RokuGuys

Not quite sure if this is an app  issue or  a Shield settings issue or anyone else has experienced this as well.

Every time I  try to play a video, once you hit the play button, you get a black screen (with the loading spinner logo) while it loads. Compared to a background movie wallpaper/poster while loading in my Roku Ultra. Also when you stop the playback by pressing the back button, you see the same black screen for 2-3 seconds before it goes back to the menu screen. Sometimes, I get the menu screen for a split second or so on hitting the back button, before it goes black and finally loads the screen after few seconds.

I noticed this behavior in Plex as well and both works just fine in Roku without any black screens. I am curious, if there is any setting that causing this behavior in shield. Once you play around with this video few times, (going back 'n forth between screens several times) finally it displays the menu without the delay when stopping the video. Maybe it's a caching issue? Still there is no background poster while the video loads initially and you get to stare at the black screen every single time.

I have a wired LAN for both Roku and Shield. So it can't be my network causing this delay.

Edited by RokuGuys

Hi.  Have you turned on automatic frame rate switching in the app?

If so, this is your display changing modes.

RokuGuys
56 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Have you turned on automatic frame rate switching in the app?

If so, this is your display changing modes.

Did you mean Enable Refresh rate switching? It was disabled, but  made the delay  worse on enabling it. Some 4k videos don't have the delay. Some others does. if you play around with it, eventually the delay goes away. But again, the initial loading black screen is always there regardless the setting.

Edited by RokuGuys

3 hours ago, RokuGuys said:

Sometimes, I get the menu screen for a split second or so on hitting the back button, before it goes black and finally loads the screen after few seconds.

That definitely sounds like your display switching modes.  It may be doing it on its own regardless of our setting I guess.