Emby for Apple TV app page-- is it very out of date?

cybergrimes

cybergrimes

Hey, just ordered a ATV 4K, was looking around here to see what to expect vs Android TV... is the Apple TV page on the Downloads section very outdated?

https://emby.media/emby-for-appletv.html

1) It mentions "Live TV not yet supported" but a glance here seems to indicate that's no longer the case?

2) Screen shots are very dated? I scrolled the blogs and saw a new home screen entry July 2019, later entries from September this year show again a different view than that one (unless that's just a difference in themes)

thanks ;)

Edited by cybergrimes

vdatanet

Application has been improved quite a bit lately. You can check some blog entries. Here are a few examples. Application info on Emby's website needs to be updated!

Edited by vdatanet

sross44
36 minutes ago, cybergrimes said:

Hey, just ordered a ATV 4K, was looking around here to see what to expect vs Android TV... is the Apple TV page on the Downloads section very outdated?

https://emby.media/emby-for-appletv.html

1) It mentions "Live TV not yet supported" but a glance here seems to indicate that's no longer the case?

2) Screen shots are very dated? I scrolled the blogs and saw a new home screen entry July 2019, later entries from September this year show again a different view than that one (unless that's just a difference in themes)

thanks ;)

To answer directly, yes it's very dated. And the interface is more in line with what Apple requires but functionality wise compared to android it's getting there. I happen to really like the Apple TV app for Emby. Let us know what you think when you get it all set up!

cybergrimes
13 minutes ago, sross44 said:

To answer directly, yes it's very dated. And the interface is more in line with what Apple requires but functionality wise compared to android it's getting there. I happen to really like the Apple TV app for Emby. Let us know what you think when you get it all set up!

Thanks. I'm hoping to like it enough to consider switching out my Shield. The Shield is still great but home screen ads on other devices like our TiVo Stream's and the interface on the new Google TV device have me looking elsewhere (because I assume Shield will get some version of all this eventually). We recently tried Apple TV+ on our LG TVs built in apps and we like that so hey lets see what the Apple TV has to offer. I'll probably try Infuse with Emby too, it looks interesting.

edit: understand that tvOS has recommendations too, just figured good enough time to try something different ;)

Edited by cybergrimes

sross44
2 minutes ago, cybergrimes said:

Thanks. I'm hoping to like it enough to consider switching out my Shield. The Shield is still great but home screen ads on other devices like our TiVo Stream's and the interface on the new Google TV device have me looking elsewhere (because I assume Shield will get some version of all this eventually). We recently tried Apple TV+ on our LG TVs built in apps and we like that so hey lets see what the Apple TV has to offer. I'll probably try Infuse with Emby too, it looks interesting.

I love Infuse. It can literally play almost anything you throw at it. I've easily been able to play HDR content with Dolby Atmos through Infuse with zero problem. I know this is a personal preference, but I also love the way Infuse looks. 

• Like 1

The next update to our app will have improved HDR playback.

And yes we'll look at updating the website. Thanks for the feedback.

sross44
17 hours ago, Luke said:

The next update to our app will have improved HDR playback.

And yes we'll look at updating the website. Thanks for the feedback.

Looking forward to the improved HDR playback in the update! Thanks for sharing. 

On 10/12/2020 at 5:37 PM, cybergrimes said:

Thanks. I'm hoping to like it enough to consider switching out my Shield.

Since my household has the Shield TV PRO 2019, my Apple TV 4K is powered DOWN for most of the time, while my household is 99.9% Apple based with its devices.

From my household experience, from the apps they are most using, a lot of Apple TV apps are inferior to the Android TV apps, regarding user experience/user control.
The Apple TV touch remote is also one of the reasons, that in our most used apps, it is to be found inferior compared to the new Shield TV PRO 2019 remote, because the Apple TV touch remote lacks dedicated buttons for fast forward/rewind FW/BW.