Help with Roku AAC5.1 to AC3?

cv5404
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

First things I’m super new to streaming/server stuff. My brother gave me his old “new” smart tv due to a move and having a collection of downloaded stuff already I’ve found my way to Emby. Been using it for about a month learning the ropes and terminology of things I used to not pay attention to etc. Anyways I have a 5.1 setup with a Denon AVR hooked up via optical because it doesn’t have arc support. I found a lot of my movies were aac5.1 and so went on that rabbit hole after learning that they wouldn’t actually play true 5.1. I ended up converting a lot using wondershare keeping the video the same but converting the audio to ac3. Since then I’ve played some and notice it’s quieter than normal whereas I listen normally 55-60 I’m turning these up to around 70-75. The aac files I’ve played sound good usually at normal levels or in between mixed by the Dolby mixer built into the receiver but I’d still like to tap those aac 5.1 tracks and get back the space of converting the audio tracks (each movie went from 1.5-2 gigs to 5.5-7 gigs). Is forced transcoding for remuxing the audio not a thing anymore? Some old posts I’ve found reference things like that but I can’t find any when I search the settings myself. Is this a Roku thing because it thinks it can decode the aac 5.1 but really it’s 2.0? Just a noob who’s super confused 😅.  

• Solution
Happy2Play
20 minutes ago, cv5404 said:

converting the audio tracks (each movie went from 1.5-2 gigs to 5.5-7 gigs)

This is not right as adding another audio track wouldn't even change the overall file size that much, so the overall conversion you are doing is inflating the video track also.

But have you adjusted this setting in the Emby Roku channel?

• Thanks 1

I didn’t know I could scroll down the menu more, I feel like such a moron right now. I went through that thread earlier and even did what it said but I must have missed it with my scatter brain thank you so much. Side note though I checked everything with the conversions back when I was converting them and it was all the same I’m not sure either why it was inflating the file sizes so much. But I did confirm the video part wasn’t being touched. 

RokuGuys
13 hours ago, cv5404 said:

I didn’t know I could scroll down the menu more, I feel like such a moron right now.

I felt the same way when I figured it few months ago. lol

The store version lacks the "triangles" to signify there is more overflowing the selector. There should be triangles shown above or below the selections when there are items that overflow and you can scroll up or down. The Roku Beta has these back. This was unintentional during cleanup they disappeared. When the store version updates they will be back there as well. Apologies for not making it clear you had more options.

Edited by speechles