App picking wrong subtitles

nahuedu

Hi, I'm having problems when playing movies with spanish subtitles, so far it happened with two movies but I think it's the same case.

It's an mkv file with three subtitle tracks in english and another subtitle in spanish. English subtitles are in the mkv file but the spanish one is external (an srt file). 

If I select the spanish subtitle it shows english subtitles, if I select any of the other subtitles they don't show at all. I tried removing the english subtitles from the mkv and leaving the spanish srt file and in that case it works, I guess the software is "confused" by having multiple subtitle tracks and picking the wrong one maybe? I also tried watching the movie from Chrome and it shows spanish subtitles correctly.

I'm using the latest version of emby server and also latest version of the app (my tv model is Samsung Q60R). Audio in both movies is dts and it's being transcoded to dolby digital (I mention this in case it helps).

I attached metadata for both movies and also the logs folder at /Users/admin/emby-server/logs (is this correct? first time I post sorry)

If you need another test or files let me know.

metadata_movie1.png

metadata_movie2.png

logs.zip

HI there, this is a whole folder full of log files. Which ones specifically are from the timeframe that the problem was experienced?

Tjonson23

My subtitles started not working also a few days ago. I got 1 txt file in folder. Also, have a Samsung tv. If I cast from Emby app on iPhone subtitles are working fine. 

1 hour ago, Tjonson23 said:

My subtitles started not working also a few days ago. I got 1 txt file in folder. Also, have a Samsung tv. If I cast from Emby app on iPhone subtitles are working fine. 

Hi there @Tjonson23, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@nahuedu I completely missed this. You've restricted transcoding access on the server. This is most likely the cause of your issues. Please try enabling that back and see how it compares.

5debfd8ada12e_Untitled[1].png

Just now, nahuedu said:

Hi, I enabled transcoding access and it does the same.

Can you please provide a log file example? thanks.

Yes here they are. I just did the same test with the movie Slaughterhouse Rulez, I played it with Spanish (srt) subtitles selected but it shows the ones in english. If you need anything else let me know.

logs.zip

I have the exact same problem with two different movies. In menu, external CZE subtitles are selected but the setting is ignored and embedded swedish subs are used. Samsung UE65TU7172.

On my PC where the server application and library files are, it works just fine.

logs.zip

Edited by Kostej
added logs

So far I've been unable to reproduce this.

Can you load the current USB version of the Samsung App and confirm that this is still an issue?

Aside from that, I am testing with the Beta version, but will try tomorrow with the current release, and you are on Linux server and I am on Windows.

This is the file I am testing with, except that you have three internal subs and I have two, it seems comparable.  I have forced DTS to transcode.

image.thumb.png.f605a083028929031f5c6120bca75ae8.png

Edited by SamES

So I've tried my file (above) using release server version 4.4.3.0 on my Mac, which is the same release and OS as in your log file. 

It all works fine here, I don't see any issues with the wrong sub file being selected.

I'm running out of ideas here.  Could now only be:

• I need an extra internal sub in my test file
    • I'm not sure why that would make a difference
  • Something else entirely is causing a problem
    • I just don't know what

Are you still only seeing it with these two files?

More than happy if you want to PM me a link to download one of these files and the srt file, just in case it is something in the file that is causing the problem.

13 hours ago, nahuedu said:

I'm uploading the mkv and srt files to my drive, I'll PM you a link when it's done.

So I still can't reproduce this.

Using your mkv and srt, with the DTS track forced to remux, if I select spanish subs, then that's what I get.

Can I suggest that you update to the latest server release, 4.5.3.0 was released today, and force a refresh of the metadata for that movie, then try again.

Aside from that, I don't know what else to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, 

Maybe i can help with this.

I had the same problem with the subtitles.

I have attached a sample where i was trying to choose the right subtitle, but it using another language.

(sorry for the big file)

1 hour ago, SamES said:

This file doesn't have any subtitles?

No i made a video. Trying to select a subtitle, but it's not selecting the right one

Just tried the same movie on the Nvidia client, and it''s working prefect. 
So i think it's the Samsung client

Edited by CogyG

9 hours ago, CogyG said:

No i made a video. Trying to select a subtitle, but it's not selecting the right one

Just tried the same movie on the Nvidia client, and it''s working prefect. 
So i think it's the Samsung client

Can you force a refresh of the metadata for that movie and try again?

Can you provide the media info for this movie from the item detail screen on the server.  I want to see the format of each subtitle stream.  Please also confirm if this playback was DirectPlay, DirectStream or Transcoding.  Thanks