Cast & Crew Images Don't Display As They Should

freddyfinn
Go to solution Solved by freddyfinn,

freddyfinn

I'm having issues Displaying Cast & Crew images as seen in attachment.

I have deleted my cache and removed Cover Art but still actors show randomly until I open their bio page.

Once the bio page has been opened I can go back and refresh the movie or Tv page and the actor then shows up and stays there.

I have had this issue for awhile now and I hasn't changed.

I will pm log on request

Emby Actor.jpg

Hi, this just means an actor image wasn't initially available when the media was imported. Try refreshing the metadata on movie or series containing the actor and see if that helps. thanks.

freddyfinn
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, this just means an actor image wasn't initially available when the media was imported. Try refreshing the metadata on movie or series containing the actor and see if that helps. thanks.

I have run the Refresh Metadata on each folder (Movies/TV) a few times in the past three months and nothing has changed although this time I got a number of Cast images showing up but still getting Blanks.  I have run Refresh People from tasks as well.  I am still getting a few blank images that appear after going into bio and if i delete the blank the correct image shows.

Actor.jpg

That's because the Moviedb url to the image changed at some point along the way before your server actually downloaded the image. The 4.5 server should recover a little bit better from this now.

freddyfinn
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's because the Moviedb url to the image changed at some point along the way before your server actually downloaded the image. The 4.5 server should recover a little bit better from this now.

I deleted my Cache today before I started as it was very old.  Still getting lots of blanks until i go into the bio or go into the bio and delete the image.

• Like 1

The problem isn't in your cached items but in the metadata itself.

If the datbase has pointers to bad locations (images were moved) then Emby is going to look in the wrong spot for them.  Unfortunately the metadata provider doesn't automatically forward the request to the new location (dumb).

The way to fix this is to have Emby refresh the movie meta-data so it get's the new locations for these things.

freddyfinn
24 minutes ago, cayars said:

The way to fix this is to have Emby refresh the movie meta-data so it get's the new locations for these things.

As per previous post this has been done after clearing cache. 

3 hours ago, freddyfinn said:

As per previous post this has been done after clearing cache. 

Please go over an example. Thanks !

freddyfinn
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Please go over an example. Thanks !

Cleared cache. Went to library selected movies and refresh meta-data. Used replace all meta-data and replace existing images. 

Done that multiple times and directly on movie and TV folders and still getting a lot of blanks. 

Once I go in and out of bio and refresh the page or go out of the folder and back in the image appears as it should. 

Try turning on the option "Download images in advance" in each library for movies and TV Shows, then refresh metadata.

Don't mess with the cache directory.

• Like 1

freddyfinn
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Try turning on the option "Download images in advance" in each library for movies and TV Shows, then refresh metadata.

Don't mess with the cache directory.

No still happening.

Something else I noticed is where the actor is identified on themoviedb with no picture and imdb with picture the picture isn't displayed. If I identify an actor manually from imdb only I get a picture. Seems when both are identified it only wants to grab the image from themoviedb. 

I deleted the cache as a first stop. One because of its age and two because it has been transferred from server 2012, server 2016 and now onto Windows 10.  I made sure there is no credential issues with the folder. 

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, freddyfinn said:

Something else I noticed is where the actor is identified on themoviedb with no picture and imdb with picture the picture isn't displayed. If I identify an actor manually from imdb only I get a picture.

IMDB is not used in Emby as they want lots of money to use their api.  Cast and crew only come from TMDB or TVDB and can be search for by IMDB ids on TMDB.

Edited by Happy2Play

As Happy2Play mentioned forget about IMDB as Emby does not retrieve info from them.  Check the other two Happy2Play mentioned and see if cast info is correct or missing from them.

45 minutes ago, freddyfinn said:

Something else I noticed is where the actor is identified on themoviedb with no picture and imdb with picture the picture isn't displayed. If I identify an actor manually from imdb only I get a picture. Seems when both are identified it only wants to grab the image from themoviedb. 

Are these the main actors of the movie or non main actors?

@Happy2Play isn't there something where even when you have selected to pull down images it still doesn't retrieve them all but only the main ones? Or am I confusing this with something else?

freddyfinn
Just now, cayars said:

@Happy2Play isn't there something where even when you have selected to pull down images it still doesn't retrieve them all but only the main ones? Or am I confusing this with something else?

Both. Random. 

As you can see with this instance. 

Keenan Wynn no image showing on cast and crew or in bio. 

Bio image setting shows blank primary image

Delete blank primary and correct image appears instantly. 

20201012_114646.jpg

20201012_114624.jpg

20201012_114609.jpg

20201012_114550.jpg

Happy2Play
Just now, cayars said:

Emby should get url images for all people at least for Movies on import and they only become local images when you enter the persons item details.  Not positive on if "Download in advance" even applies to People but I always enable it,  But I know there is a difference for actors from what is returned from TMDB and OMDB in most cases. 

At least from a new install I have not run into any issues with cast and crew though.

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, freddyfinn said:

Both. Random. 

As you can see with this instance. 

Keenan Wynn no image showing on cast and crew or in bio. 

Bio image setting shows blank primary image

Delete blank primary and correct image appears instantly. 

20201012_114646.jpg

20201012_114624.jpg

20201012_114609.jpg

20201012_114550.jpg

I resolved all my url blank images so I don't have anything to test with, but as Luke mentioned this is do to TMDB deleting the images that Emby already has a url in the database.

There is a plugin that was created, but I do not think Emby can fix the current issues it can only prevent it from happening more.

**fixed url

Edited by Happy2Play
fixed url

Hmm, I don't think you have an issue of NO images but BAD images.

If you look at the meta-directory do you see files under 1K for images?

That would explain why the reappear properly after you delete them.

Happy2Play

Yes these broken images started I believe back in April and there are dozens of topic. 

I do not see a issue with Movies (anymore), but I believe there is a issue in TV as I do see what you showed in post 1 occasionally.  But with already having a large people library it is not easy to see some time. @Luke Does TV query TMDB also when TVDB is first provider?  Personally I would like a option to disable TVDB for all actors as they currently only provide character images and have to manually update them to person images.  I know they are making changed but TVDB is somewhat useless for actors unless it is the only image available.

Edited by Happy2Play

I broke down and reloaded my library to fetch clean metadata.

EDIT: plugin didn't fix things for me after running all day.

Edited by cayars

freddyfinn
33 minutes ago, cayars said:

If you look at the meta-directory do you see files under 1K for images?

No nothing under 1K

This was a clean install on Win 10 in June only thing I bought over was the old Cache from Server 2016 which has been deleted at the start of my trouble shooting,

Edited by freddyfinn
Running People Fix Now

Happy2Play

The only issue I see with the People Fix plugin is the developer used some additional custom sources and you will end up the odd shaped images in some cases.

• Like 1

My problem was the length of time it took to run but would never finish without an error.  I just bit the bullet and reloaded since that worked on my test system.

freddyfinn
38 minutes ago, cayars said:

I broke down and reloaded my library to fetch clean metadata.

Think I might be doing the same. 

Emby needs a way to flush certain data.