Theme Music ~ Grouped Movie Versions

Seloxia

I've been playing around with adding theme music and theme videos to various shows and movies in Emby and while it works well i've had trouble getting this to work for a movie that has multiple versions grouped together.

For clarity, when i have multiple versions of the same movie i will store them all in the same folder with a suffix indicating the size and video codec used, so for example i may have:

Movie Name (2020)

• Movie Name (2020) {1080p H264}.mkv
  • Movie Name (2020) {2160p HEVC}.mkv

Other files in the folder such as artwork and posters will adopt the filename of the movie and end with an "-artwork" or "-poster" suffix (etc) as appropriate.

I have tried adding a theme.mp3 into the folder, naming the theme music file as "Movie Name (2020) {1080p H264}-theme.mp3" (for each version of the movie) and also created a subfolder called "theme-music" and named the file "song1.mp3" but none of these are working - no music plays. Is there a way to get this to work without separating the movie versions out into separate folders?

As a slight aside is there any chance of adding an additional CSS class to either the theme video <video> container or its parent so that "object-fit: cover;" can be applied to make it fill the whole background area and not leave vertical/horizontal black bars? I tried adding some custom CSS in the Emby settings and it worked perfectly, however i then realised that the exact same container and classes are used for movie/show playback and unless i'm missing something there doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate between them.

As a slight aside is there any chance of adding an additional CSS class to either the theme video <video> container or its parent so that "object-fit: cover;" can be applied to make it fill the whole background area and not leave vertical/horizontal black bars? I tried adding some custom CSS in the Emby settings and it worked perfectly, however i then realised that the exact same container and classes are used for movie/show playback and unless i'm missing something there doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate between them.

Hi, you can do this in the OSD using the aspect ratio control.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, you can do this in the OSD using the aspect ratio control.

Not exactly. When playing back video media there are three options present in the aspect ratio control: auto, cover, and fill.

• Auto doesn't apply any CSS styling so it only indirectly produces the equivalent of "object-fit: contain;" which keeps the aspect ratio of the media and scales it to fit inside the container. This is ideal for playback because you're not cropping any of the image.
  • Cover applies "object-fit: cover;" CSS to the <video> object which will keep the aspect ratio of the media but scale it so that it completely fills the entire container box, cropping the media to make it fit.
  • Fill applies "object-fit: fill;" CSS to the <video> object which fills the entire container but does not maintain the aspect ratio, the media is stretched.

If i set a custom CSS of "object-fit: cover;" to the <video> object in order to make the theme videos fill the container, none of the aspect ratio options when playing a movie or show will allow me to effectively override back to "contain" so that i'm not cropping the movie/show video. I was only suggesting that if an additional class were incorporated either into the <video> object or its <div> container specifically when a theme video is being displayed it could be used to directly target only theme videos and not affect general playback as well.

In the meantime i did stumble upon something that seems to be working for me so far, i noticed that when playing back movies/shows the video container had a style attribute attached to it where there isn't when it's playing a theme video, thus the following custom CSS is currently working for what i want:

.videoPlayerContainer:not([style]) > video { object-fit: cover; }

Edited by Seloxia
I noticed a grammar error and it was eating at me!