embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic
16 hours ago, quickmic said:

New experimental version available 6.2.0-build 174 (ex20)

Delta changelog:

fix homevideos sync
fix audiobook sync
fix podcast sync
fix special features progress updates
add translations
add bookmarks

Comment:

Bookmarks support is new. To test it you need to resync/repairsync your db otherwise only available for new/updated content.

If a videostream has chapters embedded, bookmarks are disabled due to a lag of Kodi functionalities. It would create double chapters/bookmarks if both are available.

Seems bookmarks are not added to episodes, just movies. I'll check that.

BaukeZwart
6 hours ago, quickmic said:

Seems bookmarks are not added to episodes, just movies. I'll check that.

Can't find much info on Emby bookmarks, how do they differ from chapters?

quickmic
35 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

Can't find much info on Emby bookmarks, how do they differ from chapters?

Firstly, I think it's a Kodi bug why bookmarks not added to episodes. Actually they are perfectly fine on my linux PC. The are not working on osmc on raspi and on vero4k.

To your question...

Difference (from Kodi site):

Chapters are embedded tags in the video file or video stream:

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/disable-ignore-chapters/72653/4

As you can see in the log (actually this log is a Kodi log in debug mode), chapters extracted by ffmpeg directly. The chapter thumbnails are also extracted by ffmpeg on video playback start.

There is no option in Kodi to prevent this ffmpeg "magic".

Bookmarks, on the other side are not embedded. They can be set in Kodi's UI and actually are stored in the Kodi DB which means. I can add bookmarks to Kodi but I cannot manipulate chapters in Kodi.

Emby can report chapters/bookmarks while sync. Actually there is no difference from Emby side between a bookmark and a chapter (embedded in video file's metadata or external). btw, it makes sense cause actually it doesn't matter where the markers are from. Kodi labels them as chapters and bookmarks, Emby not.

The actual problem is, as Kodi extracts chapters ALWAYS and there is no way to skip that, this could result in double markups.

So the plugin tries to "detect" what could be a chapter and what's a bookmark.

As embedded chapters in video files are most likely coming from a DVD or Bluray or something else (but not auto generated) the are not following a pattern.

Autogenerated chapter/bookmarks on Emby have a 5 minutes pattern. 05:00; 10;00; 15:00 etc.

This means if a chapter/bookmarks from Emby is modulo 5 minutes (actually there is more in the background, but that's the core of the detection function), the plugin reasonable guesses this is a bookmark (from Kodi's point). An odd number e.g. 03:27 is most likely embedded in the videofile/videostream and Kodi will extract them internally. Therefore the plugin skips it, and is not inserting this markup as a bookmark in Kodi's db.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

quickmic
55 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

Thanks @quickmicthat's exactly what I thought and was hoping for. I hope this could mean that  the in Development introskip plugin could work on Kodi. 

It already works on my Linux PC but not on my osmc boxes. Another limitation of Kodi prevents naming of bookmarks. So you need to guess what's what, but it's not that hard. Autogenerated chapters/bookmarks have even timestamps, the intro odd.

• Thanks 1

QianyuLi

Hello, quickmic.
I would like to give feedback on a few issues with the Emby Next Gen add-on. The following issues exist in multiple Kodi versions at the same time (18.9, 19.3, 20)
I am using emby next gen add-on mode, remote Emby server.
1.Add-on mode synchronization media library?

I have selected Add-On mode and have not synchronized the media library. But the add-on keeps synchronizing the media library with the server?
logs (server and ID edited)

11-25 17:04:07.587   885  1076 D Kodi    :     "url": "https://server:443/emby/Items/ID/Ancestors",
11-25 17:04:08.068   885  1076 D Kodi    :     "url": "https://server:443/emby/Items/ID/Ancestors",
11-25 17:04:09.331   885  1076 D Kodi    :     "url": "https://server:443/emby/Items/ID/Ancestors"

Am I misunderstanding? Is the add-on mode different from EmbyCon? Can I turn off that sync operation?

2. The context menu is not work?
I turned on the context menu feature within the add-on, but it has no effect. It should be triggered by long press on the item in the same way as EmbyCon?

3. Can't select multiple versions.
The same movie allows different versions (resolutions) within EmbyCon, and clicking on it will bring up select media source for selecting the version. But Emby Next Gen will only select one of the versions. There is no version selection menu.

4. Open some categories (e.g. all movies) to load infinitely.

EmbyCon can open the same categories
Emby Next Gen opens some categories that will keep loading and Kodi does not lose response.
logs

11-25 17:00:58.676   885  1196 I chatty  : uid=10122(org.xbmc.kodi) Thread-3 identical 2 lines
11-25 17:00:58.680   885  1196 I chatty  : uid=10122(org.xbmc.kodi) Thread-3 identical 1 line
11-25 17:00:58.800   885  1196 I chatty  : uid=10122(org.xbmc.kodi) Thread-3 identical 2 lines
11-25 17:00:58.801   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.801 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/data/user/0/org.xbmc.kodi/cache/apk/assets/python3.9/lib/python3.9/threading.py", line 973, in _bootstrap_inner
11-25 17:00:58.803   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.803 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/data/user/0/org.xbmc.kodi/cache/apk/assets/python3.9/lib/python3.9/threading.py", line 910, in run
11-25 17:00:58.804   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.804 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/hooks/monitor.py", line 81, in QueryDataExcecute
11-25 17:00:58.806   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.806 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/helper/pluginmenu.py", line 274, in browse
11-25 17:00:58.808   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.808 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/helper/utils.py", line 698, in get_path_type_from_item

I'm using the latest experimental version 6.2.0-build 174 (ex20). These issues have been bugging me for a while.

Thank you.

quickmic
20 hours ago, QianyuLi said:

Hello, quickmic.
I would like to give feedback on a few issues with the Emby Next Gen add-on. The following issues exist in multiple Kodi versions at the same time (18.9, 19.3, 20)
I am using emby next gen add-on mode, remote Emby server.
1.Add-on mode synchronization media library?

I have selected Add-On mode and have not synchronized the media library. But the add-on keeps synchronizing the media library with the server?
logs (server and ID edited)

11-25 17:04:07.587   885  1076 D Kodi    :     "url": "https://server:443/emby/Items/ID/Ancestors",
11-25 17:04:08.068   885  1076 D Kodi    :     "url": "https://server:443/emby/Items/ID/Ancestors",
11-25 17:04:09.331   885  1076 D Kodi    :     "url": "https://server:443/emby/Items/ID/Ancestors"

Am I misunderstanding? Is the add-on mode different from EmbyCon? Can I turn off that sync operation?

The addon-mode or native-mode has nothing todo with sync or no sync. This is a setting HOW it syncs. Native uses native filepathes (access from Kodi is required) and addon-mode uses http streams.

Just the fact you haven't synced any library doesn't mean, there is no communication with the Emby server and I assume you server log shows communication but not a sync.

2. The context menu is not work?
I turned on the context menu feature within the add-on, but it has no effect. It should be triggered by long press on the item in the same way as EmbyCon?

Context menu (emby options) is only available for synced content.

3. Can't select multiple versions.
The same movie allows different versions (resolutions) within EmbyCon, and clicking on it will bring up select media source for selecting the version. But Emby Next Gen will only select one of the versions. There is no version selection menu.

Also only available for synced content.

. Open some categories (e.g. all movies) to load infinitely.

EmbyCon can open the same categories
Emby Next Gen opens some categories that will keep loading and Kodi does not lose response.
logs

11-25 17:00:58.676   885  1196 I chatty  : uid=10122(org.xbmc.kodi) Thread-3 identical 2 lines
11-25 17:00:58.680   885  1196 I chatty  : uid=10122(org.xbmc.kodi) Thread-3 identical 1 line
11-25 17:00:58.800   885  1196 I chatty  : uid=10122(org.xbmc.kodi) Thread-3 identical 2 lines
11-25 17:00:58.801   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.801 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/data/user/0/org.xbmc.kodi/cache/apk/assets/python3.9/lib/python3.9/threading.py", line 973, in _bootstrap_inner
11-25 17:00:58.803   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.803 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/data/user/0/org.xbmc.kodi/cache/apk/assets/python3.9/lib/python3.9/threading.py", line 910, in run
11-25 17:00:58.804   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.804 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/hooks/monitor.py", line 81, in QueryDataExcecute
11-25 17:00:58.806   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.806 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/helper/pluginmenu.py", line 274, in browse
11-25 17:00:58.808   885  1196 E Kodi    : 2021-11-25 17:00:58.808 T:1196    ERROR <general>:   File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/helper/utils.py", line 698, in get_path_type_from_item

This could be a bug or you have a huge library with all dynamic features enabled in plugin menu. This could result in very long loading times (mintes) but not infinite.

Final thought: If you are not syncing content at all, probably you should use one of the other plugins. They are more focusing on dynamic content that next-gen plugin. It's benefit clearly focus on syncing.

Edited by quickmic

QianyuLi

@quickmic

Sorry, I don't know Emby very well yet. So I'm not really sure about the relationship and technical differences between Emby Next-Gen and EmbyCon. I just don't understand why EmbyCon doesn't need to communicate with the server. Since I don't synchronize libraries, what is the purpose of Next-Gen Add-On communication?

I don't have Dynamic libraries feature turned on. I think it is loading infinitely because Kodi is reporting errors and not outputting any logs. I waited for more than 10 minutes and it is still loading.

Sync is a scan of the library right? So if I don't sync the library, I can't select multiple versions? Is this some technical limitation or is it Emby Next-Gen's development tendency?

Thank you for your answer

quickmic
2 hours ago, QianyuLi said:

@quickmic

Sorry, I don't know Emby very well yet. So I'm not really sure about the relationship and technical differences between Emby Next-Gen and EmbyCon. I just don't understand why EmbyCon doesn't need to communicate with the server. Since I don't synchronize libraries, what is the purpose of Next-Gen Add-On communication?

I don't have Dynamic libraries feature turned on. I think it is loading infinitely because Kodi is reporting errors and not outputting any logs. I waited for more than 10 minutes and it is still loading.

Sync is a scan of the library right? So if I don't sync the library, I can't select multiple versions? Is this some technical limitation or is it Emby Next-Gen's development tendency?

Thank you for your answer

Embycon also communicates with the Emby server, probably in a different way. But I'm the dev of embycon, for further questions about that matter, please ask in embycon section.

But not sure if I understand your question? How could a plugin (no matter which) get knowledge of Emby servers content without communicating with the server?

Sync question:

Kodi native (no plugins involved) also syncs Content via regular folders into its internal database OR can play content via file selection.

Actually next gen does exactly the same but for Emby content. It can sync Content into Kodi's library or handle Content like a file (dynamic).

Synced content is much faster accessible, filters are supported and much more. Anyway, these are Kodi basics (not specific to the plugins). I cannot explain all the differences, there are really many.

That's actually not a technical limitation, it's just not implemented in next-gen. As I mentioned, next-gen primary focus is on syncing content. If you don't want or need syncing, probably it's better to use embycon or other plugins.

I'll check this, seems to be a bug but I'll need a kodi.log from you and/or exact instructions what you selected, which kind of content etc.

This is not a general issue, otherwise I would ran into that as well.

QianyuLi

Because almost every time I start Kodi, Next-Gen will show the updated content. Even when I don't use Next-Gen it "syncs" the content in the background and outputs a log. EmbyCon seems to have no such behavior.
I know Next-Gen's sync feature is great and necessary, thanks for explaining more. I just don't know the version selection feature that EmbyCon can use, and it doesn't currently work on an unsynced Emby Next-Gen. EmbyCon is great, but it doesn't support multiple servers.
Do I need to provide the full Kodi log? I think this might be related to specific library content, for example it seems that loading to specific ID content triggers the issue. I'll troubleshoot this carefully and report back further.

@quickmic You couldn't find the issue with dashboard commands on the server being gone could you? Still happening with latest plugin + Emby server version .18 beta

I don't know also what could be the case since I posted it on the server thread and they recommended it could be related to the plugin

quickmic

New experimental version available 6.2.0-build 176 (ex20):

delta changelog:

- fix movie progress update

quickmic
3 hours ago, djhifi said:

@quickmic You couldn't find the issue with dashboard commands on the server being gone could you? Still happening with latest plugin + Emby server version .18 beta

I don't know also what could be the case since I posted it on the server thread and they recommended it could be related to the plugin

I've absolute no idea why this happens to you. I's perfectly fine in my setup. There must be something different, btw. you are using addon-mode right?

With the latest experimental versions the delete option is still broke.

This line in my keymaps.xml is no longer working.

<F5>RunPlugin(plugin://plugin.video.emby-next-gen?mode=delete)</F5><!-- Delete Emby item context menu shortcut will activate when pressing "F5" -->

Another issue that I have lately is that Kodi is crashing when starting or while scrolling through my libraries.

Not sure if this is Emby next gen or Kodi 19.3 related. With 19.2 I did not have this issue this often as now.

Also new recorded items do not show up automatically (again). A manual library refresh or sometimes a library repair is needed to see the new added recordings again.

An issue that I have for a long time is that when I turn off my devices and Kodi is not closed by my Shield TV and I come back later my videos do only play in the background. I hear the audio but I only see the episode screen where I started the video rom with the loading icon turning.

Not sure if this is Kodi or Emby next gen related but it is really annoying because the only way to get it right again is force Kodi to close and re-open Kodi.

This was already happening at Kodi 18.

Thanks.

kodi.log kodi.old.log

• Like 1

quickmic
4 hours ago, heula said:

This line in my keymaps.xml is no longer working.

<F5>RunPlugin(plugin://plugin.video.emby-next-gen?mode=delete)</F5><!-- Delete Emby item context menu shortcut will activate when pressing "F5"

I'll fix that in next version.

Another issue that I have lately is that Kodi is crashing when starting or while scrolling through my libraries.

Not sure if this is Emby next gen or Kodi 19.3 related. With 19.2 I did not have this issue this often as now.

Also new recorded items do not show up automatically (again). A manual library refresh or sometimes a library repair is needed to see the new added recordings again.

Could be related to the bug I fixed in last experimental version. Let me know if the issue still exists...

An issue that I have for a long time is that when I turn off my devices and Kodi is not closed by my Shield TV and I come back later my videos do only play in the background. I hear the audio but I only see the episode screen where I started the video rom with the loading icon turning.

Not sure if this is Kodi or Emby next gen related but it is really annoying because the only way to get it right again is force Kodi to close and re-open Kodi.

This was already happening at Kodi 18.

Seems to be Kodi related and not a problem in the plugin.

Your log shows only issues with skin helper plugins.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, heula said:

Hi

Also add to favorites from emby context menu still not work 

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm was on Kodi 18.2 together with emby-next-gen V5.3.2. Everything was fine until I updated the emby server to 4.6.6 ( I think I come from 4.6.2).

After the update no sync between server and kodi. I've updated emby-next-gen to 6.1.9 and sync works again, but the database has to be rebuild. And there is the problem. The new database was created within short time but all the backdrops, covers, logos etc. were loaded very very slowly and oinly after selecting the movie or tv-show in the menu.

That was very anoying, I have to pick every single items in the movie section and tv-show section manually, wait up to 20-30 seconds to show the artwork, move to the next and so on.

Does anyone know why this can be and what I have to do about it?

Thanks
Stefan

quickmic
4 hours ago, knorki said:

Hello,

I'm was on Kodi 18.2 together with emby-next-gen V5.3.2. Everything was fine until I updated the emby server to 4.6.6 ( I think I come from 4.6.2).

After the update no sync between server and kodi. I've updated emby-next-gen to 6.1.9 and sync works again, but the database has to be rebuild. And there is the problem. The new database was created within short time but all the backdrops, covers, logos etc. were loaded very very slowly and oinly after selecting the movie or tv-show in the menu.

That was very anoying, I have to pick every single items in the movie section and tv-show section manually, wait up to 20-30 seconds to show the artwork, move to the next and so on.

Does anyone know why this can be and what I have to do about it?

Thanks
Stefan

I don't know why your artwork is loaded so slowly, could be everything also skin etc. Use default skin and check again.

Also you can try artwork caching...

quickmic
16 minutes ago, Onana said:

Hi

Iso files don’t seem to work.

They just don’t play using latest exp version 

I'll check, also please send me a kodi.log

LichenKing

Emby Next 6.2.0-build 176 (ex20)

Bug 1

After performing a local database reset where Kodi restarts (closes on Android platforms like nVidia Shield because restart is not available) the Addon no longer prompts to resync a library after reconnecting to the Emby DB server. You must go manually back to the addon settings to Add Libraries. Would be nice to get back the old behavior where if Kodi is now empty the Add libraries is presented to the main frontend as long as Emby Addon was able to authenticate  and starup.

Bug 2

When having multi-selection pop-up screen and multiple ISOs only in the list the "Cancel" button will not exit the request. Playback will resume from a first item returned in the list instead of a cancel operation. This is due to how ISO playback is being fetched with a fake first item playlist request and then a subsequent actual ISO playback. The cancel event is not interrupting the next request.

Bug 3

Playback of ISO files the addon still does not pass metadata to the player.

• Logos are still missing for currently playing title when the player is active
  • Information about the playing title is still missing when the player is active.

(both issues deviate from previous functionality)

Edited by LichenKing

quickmic
15 hours ago, LichenKing said:

Emby Next 6.2.0-build 176 (ex20)

Bug 1

After performing a local database reset where Kodi restarts (closes on Android platforms like nVidia Shield because restart is not available) the Addon no longer prompts to resync a library after reconnecting to the Emby DB server. You must go manually back to the addon settings to Add Libraries. Would be nice to get back the old behavior where if Kodi is now empty the Add libraries is presented to the main frontend as long as Emby Addon was able to authenticate  and starup.

You havent reset your settings. In this case that's not a bug, it's on purpose. The assumption is, if you perform a manual reset and keep settings -> user knows how the add libraries again.

Bug 2

When having multi-selection pop-up screen and multiple ISOs only in the list the "Cancel" button will not exit the request. Playback will resume from a first item returned in the list instead of a cancel operation. This is due to how ISO playback is being fetched with a fake first item playlist request and then a subsequent actual ISO playback. The cancel event is not interrupting the next request.

Yes, cancel is not working. Probably I can fix it but not sure...

Bug 3

Playback of ISO files the addon still does not pass metadata to the player.

• Logos are still missing for currently playing title when the player is active
  • Information about the playing title is still missing when the player is active.

(both issues deviate from previous functionality)

I'll try to fix it.

Native or addon mode?

Edited by quickmic