embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic
2 hours ago, marcmv1 said:

Why did my Kodi database automatically reset? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE? Now every add on that I have installed, my watch history has been reset. If you want me to reset my database, prompt that you recommended it but doing so automatically WITHOUT WARNING AND WITHOUT THE OPTION TO SAY NO is WAY overly intrusive. You are not following the principle of least surprise which is a programming/system admin 101 first day on the job thing. When I logged into Kodi, I should have seen something that was telling me about what changes you wanted to make, not you just doing it without any warning or giving me any way to override. 

I am generally highly appreciative of folks who make free software but any software shouldn't make huge changes to my system without prompting and giving me a way out. FIX THIS!

I know it stinks. Unfortunately Kodi offers no (disclaimer) functionality BEFORE upgrading a plugin. After upgrade it's too late. Currently I have no better alternative. If you have a solution, I'll add it right away.

I'll add some sort of warning, but if you decline, a MANUAL ROLLBACK to previous version will be required. Also you can disable auto updates.

btw, there is a reason why it's called BETA repo or even EXPERIMENAL 😉

also, 3rd party addons ARE NOT AFFECTED. Only the DBs

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

heula
8 hours ago, quickmic said:

Yes, I can see exactly what you describe in your logs. The only show reported (in realtime) is Studio Sport:

All other shows are not in the logs, which means. Emby server hasn't reported the other shows. I assume your websocket connection is fine which leads to the question, why is Emby server not reporting the other shows (in realtime) and why it's not synced based on timestamps (after Kodi restart)...

I have no idea, I am on Emby server 4.7.0.13 now.

Perhaps @Luke can help out here?

quickmic
57 minutes ago, heula said:

I have no idea, I am on Emby server 4.7.0.13 now.

Perhaps @Luke can help out here?

I'll also perform a few more tests. Maybe I missed something...

• Thanks 1

alazabe
On 10/2/2021 at 7:15 PM, quickmic said:

Maybe I misunderstood you. Actually, next-gen supports all kind of strm files, but seems you want that next-gen plugin generates strm files? Not sure if I can follow here. What kind of strm and where should next-gen generate strm files?

So if you use google drive kodi plugin it generates strm files to folder of your choice 

Here how it works it clone the folder structure {in emby case it will be library structure } and add .strm files that have the plugin url "plugin://plugin.video.gdrive?mode=streamURL&url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/view?usp=sharing" and keeping watching for new or change content 

the same thing used by netflix and amazon prime kodi plugin 

benfits :

no need to have any DB other the kodi orignal since it will kodi library scan !

no plugin will have problem since its local file 

and you can mange the artwork , subtitles and trailes easily with media manger apps like Ember media manger , media elech and tiny media manger 

djhifi

Been reading a few pages back, just to clarify, "sync user ratings" should be turned to off if we:

1 - Dont manually give ratings in our collections

2 - Use (like me) "Light IMDB Ratings Update" to keep KODI refreshed from IMDB?

(or point number 2 is irrelevant?)

PS: Which version implemented user settings automatic-reset? It didn't prompt me on 6.0.13, simply resetted everything. Maybe you should consider adding that warning on the 1st post here?

Edited by djhifi

quickmic

User ratings are not reset at all. There is a option to disable userrating sync and only for a special case.

marcmv1
On 10/2/2021 at 12:33 PM, quickmic said:

I know it stinks. Unfortunately Kodi offers no (disclaimer) functionality BEFORE upgrading a plugin. After upgrade it's too late. Currently I have no better alternative. If you have a solution, I'll add it right away.

I'll add some sort of warning, but if you decline, a MANUAL ROLLBACK to previous version will be required. Also you can disable auto updates.

btw, there is a reason why it's called BETA repo or even EXPERIMENAL 😉

also, 3rd party addons ARE NOT AFFECTED. Only the DBs

I updated from the beta repo, I'm not manually installing the zip from the experimental download. Standard for beta should be higher than experimental.

The 3rd party addons were still there, setup and fully configured. I lost ALL my watch history so any shows I'm in the middle of I had to go back and figure out my place. Ones like Amazon prime that sync up with the prime app I could find. Others like Paramount + that aren't so in sync were quite a bit more difficult to figure out.

quickmic
19 minutes ago, marcmv1 said:

I updated from the beta repo, I'm not manually installing the zip from the experimental download. Standard for beta should be higher than experimental.

The 3rd party addons were still there, setup and fully configured. I lost ALL my watch history so any shows I'm in the middle of I had to go back and figure out my place. Ones like Amazon prime that sync up with the prime app I could find. Others like Paramount + that aren't so in sync were quite a bit more difficult to figure out.

Well, still don't know what you want? Yes, I agree I should have add a warning, but what "higher standard" are you talking about? As mentioned, a db reset is mandatory for upgrade. There will be no "migration" or something else for experimental, beta or even for stable in future.

Edited by quickmic

marcmv1
22 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Well, still don't know what you want? Yes, I agree I should have add a warning, but what "higher standard" are you talking about? As mentioned, a db reset is mandatory for upgrade. There will be no "migration" or something else for experimental, beta or even for stable in future.

In some cases, you've been able to push out updates and tell people do simply do a repair on the libraries instead of a full db reset. I'm curious what causes a full reset vs a library repair?

quickmic
Just now, marcmv1 said:

In some cases, you've been able to push out updates and tell people do simply do a repair on the libraries instead of a full db reset. I'm curious what causes a full reset vs a library repair?

The (Kodi's) emby DB structure totally changed between 5.x and 6.x. Therefore a db repair is no longer an option. "Repair" expects at least an (almost) similar structure. btw, for the same reason I changed the plugin ID from 4.x to 5/6.X version from "plugin.video.emby" to "plugin.video.emby-next-gen" avoiding automatic upgrades and wiping the DB. I'll not change the ID again, it already caused a lot of trouble doing it the first time. I added the "compatibility" option only for addressing this plugin ID issue.

But I'm quite surprised that you have troubles with "watch history". Do you have other content synced to Kodi beside Emby stuff? Maybe I could add an option removing emby content only. Probably possible in addon mode, not possible for native mode (cause they look the same in Kodi's video db).

marcmv1
2 minutes ago, quickmic said:

The (Kodi's) emby DB structure totally changed between 5.x and 6.x. Therefore a db repair is no longer an option. "Repair" expects at least an (almost) similar structure. btw, for the same reason I changed the plugin ID from 4.x to 5/6.X version from "plugin.video.emby" to "plugin.video.emby-next-gen" avoiding automatic upgrades and wiping the DB. I'll not change the ID again, it already caused a lot of trouble doing it the first time. I added the "compatibility" option only for addressing this plugin ID issue.

But I'm quite surprised that you have troubles with "watch history". Do you have other content synced to Kodi beside Emby stuff? Maybe I could add an option removing emby content only. Probably possible in addon mode, not possible for native mode (cause they look the same in Kodi's video db).

I pretty much use Kodi for all the services I pay for that have an addon. It's a long list LOL. I only use addon mode. I had tried Native for quite a while but had issues with it in previous Kodi versions. Only time I need addon mode is sometimes with Embycon when I have a movie in a DVD format but that's not your addon.

• Like 1

quickmic
17 minutes ago, marcmv1 said:

I pretty much use Kodi for all the services I pay for that have an addon. It's a long list LOL. I only use addon mode. I had tried Native for quite a while but had issues with it in previous Kodi versions. Only time I need addon mode is sometimes with Embycon when I have a movie in a DVD format but that's not your addon.

Well I'm not an expert amazon, netflix addons etc but. I know some people uses external content piped threw Emby server even if it's not playable by Emby directly.

Don't ask me for details, but they use strm files synced to Emby server library with references like "plugin://kodipluginaction" (playable by Kodi). This is supported on user request and is working with next-gen plugin. The benefit is, Emby server holds all history, artwork tag infos etc. Maybe this is something for you.

Edited by quickmic

alazabe
3 hours ago, quickmic said:

Well I'm not an expert amazon, netflix addons etc but. I know some people uses external content piped threw Emby server even if it's not playable by Emby directly.

Don't ask me for details, but they use strm files synced to Emby server library with references like "plugin://kodipluginaction" (playable by Kodi). This is supported on user request and is working with next-gen plugin. The benefit is, Emby server holds all history, artwork tag infos etc. Maybe this is something for you.

If I am not mistaken then this is a reply for my comment and not the quote one from marcmv1

My idea was to use Emby as backend and kodi as frontend 

But after scanning my friend emby server the plugin scan only 20% of the library before it stop 

its huge library it have 50K movies and 19K TVShows 

i did this with older version 4.11 and the latest one 6.13 all of them stop at some point !

Tried kodi 19 and 18 both the problem with plugin it cant handle the large library !

So thought that was a limit of the plugin DB

and that why I suggested to go with Gdrive plugin way of generate strm files so that kodi DB handle everything 

If there any limit to the plugin or plugin db and can be removed it will be amazing 

banderson1311

I updated one of my Kodi instances to 6.0.13 today and I noticed that trying to open a specific movie library no longer works.  Instead I am brought to the generic video screen.  I hadn't updated in a while so I'm not sure if this is a recent change or not.  Log attached.

kodi.old.log

nuentes

I am noticing Kodi crashing much more frequently since updating yesterday. This appears to be happening while I am scrolling through titles and artwork is caching. Here is a log for the most recent crash. Upgrading emby next gen (from previous most-recent beta) was the only change to my system over the past couple days.

nuentes

I posted this on github, but figured I'd mention it here as well. I'm also seeing a weird issue with widgets on an unrelated Skin which I believe to somehow be related to this update.

I know this is not going to sound like it's related to Emby Next Gen, however I just updated from 5.3.4 to 6.0.13 and performed a local reset, which was the only change to my setup that occurred. This widget was working correctly before the reset, with no other changes being made to my system.

I have a smart playlist that pulls in a list of 10 random episodes, and then my skin has a widget that displays these episodes on my home screen. The image format is set to Poster. Previously, the widget displayed the Poster for the TV Series. However, the widget is now displaying the Default Image for that specific Episode. All my other widgets that display TV series and movies are unaffected. It is just this playlist/widget that is a list of Episodes.

I have another very similar widget that is actually designed to display the Thumbnail, and that one is still working correctly.

I am using Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection, which has not received an update lately. Any thoughts?

wanderjarra

Watching TVshow and using the latest version 6.0.13 I notice that it doesn't mark as watched episode at the end, when I play again in the episode I just watched it marks 10 - 15%.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'll see if I make the log available.

quickmic
8 hours ago, banderson1311 said:

I updated one of my Kodi instances to 6.0.13 today and I noticed that trying to open a specific movie library no longer works.  Instead I am brought to the generic video screen.  I hadn't updated in a while so I'm not sure if this is a recent change or not.  Log attached.

kodi.old.log 29.38 kB · 1 download

The log doesn't show anything. Not even that you started a video playback. Or do you mean some nodes are not working. -> "open a specific movie library" is not clear to me.

quickmic
10 hours ago, alazabe said:

If I am not mistaken then this is a reply for my comment and not the quote one from marcmv1

My idea was to use Emby as backend and kodi as frontend 

But after scanning my friend emby server the plugin scan only 20% of the library before it stop 

its huge library it have 50K movies and 19K TVShows 

i did this with older version 4.11 and the latest one 6.13 all of them stop at some point !

Tried kodi 19 and 18 both the problem with plugin it cant handle the large library !

So thought that was a limit of the plugin DB

and that why I suggested to go with Gdrive plugin way of generate strm files so that kodi DB handle everything 

If there any limit to the plugin or plugin db and can be removed it will be amazing 

Please send me a log file with a crashed sync from next-gen.

There are no limitations, sounds like a bug.

jpirnay2905

Since the new betas and the required rescan the scan aborts with an error message in kodi.log (kodi 18.9, emby 4.6.4.0 / 4.7.0.13 (tried both))

That leaves my library unfortunately rather empty...

2021-10-05 09:20:30.225 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.library.Library: [ worker library started ]
2021-10-05 09:20:30.257 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.library.Library: [ worker library queue size ] 3
2021-10-05 09:20:31.120 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.core.tvshows.TVShows: ADD tvshow [2/1] 917: Fernsehfilme
2021-10-05 09:20:31.413 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.core.tvshows.TVShows: ADD season [1/1] Staffel 1: 4127
2021-10-05 09:20:31.426 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.core.tvshows.TVShows: ADD episode [1/1/1/1] 4128: Wer aufgibt ist tot
2021-10-05 09:20:31.489 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.core.tvshows.TVShows: ADD episode [1/1/2/2] 4129: Die Muse des Mörders
2021-10-05 09:20:31.566 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.core.tvshows.TVShows: ADD episode [1/1/3/3] 4132: Die Toten von Hameln
2021-10-05 09:20:31.626 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.core.tvshows.TVShows: ADD episode [1/1/4/4] 4133: Jo Nesbø's Headhunters
2021-10-05 09:20:31.699 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.core.tvshows.TVShows: ADD episode [1/1/5/5] 4130: Die Flucht
2021-10-05 09:20:31.825 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.database.db_open.io: [video] 62 rows updated.
2021-10-05 09:20:31.884 T:3114255168  NOTICE: INFO: EMBY.database.db_open.io: [394d9f178aa94a118601b68392bf3204] 75 rows updated.
2021-10-05 09:20:31.913 T:3114255168   ERROR: Exception in thread Thread-11:
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 754, in run
                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/hooks/monitor.py", line 50, in RunLibraryJobs
                                                self.EmbyServers[ServerId].library.RunJobs()
                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/database/library.py", line 768, in RunJobs
                                                self.worker_library()
                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/database/library.py", line 606, in worker_library
                                                DBObject.tvshow(tvshow, LibraryData)
                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/core/tvshows.py", line 49, in tvshow
                                                obj['Path'] = Common.get_path(obj, "tvshows")
                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/core/common.py", line 241, in get_path
                                                Path = "%s%s" % (obj['FullPath'], PathChar)
                                            UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 53: ordinal not in range(128)

kodi.log.zip

quickmic
7 hours ago, nuentes said:

I posted this on github, but figured I'd mention it here as well. I'm also seeing a weird issue with widgets on an unrelated Skin which I believe to somehow be related to this update.

I'm working on a new version with DB IO improvements. Some of the artwork and skin refresh issues are coming from DB IO read/write "conflicts".

Kodi DBs are blocking (in some cases). e.g. If the plugin writes something (e.g. sync) and (native) Kodi requires also DB access. In this case Kodi waits till the plugin has finished it's job.

This could delay Kodi skin updates or even could generate timeouts. In next version, (native) Kodi DB r/w will always have priority and the plugin will pause it's running job.

Not sure when this fix has effects, but at least on skin/artwork refresh. Could be many more.

quickmic
9 minutes ago, jpirnay2905 said:

Since the new betas and the required rescan the scan aborts with an error message in kodi.log (kodi 18.9, emby 4.6.4.0 / 4.7.0.13 (tried both))

That leaves my library unfortunately rather empty...

kodi.log.zip 8.55 kB · 0 downloads

That's a unicode issue, seem in the path to be scanned is a special character. Must be a TV Show somewhere after "ADD tvshow [2/1] 917: Fernsehfilme".

I'll check it, as a fast workaround: Use addon mode, this issue seems only affecting native mode. Or temporary remove the TV-Show with the special character. Or upgrade to Kodi 19.

banderson1311
3 hours ago, quickmic said:

The log doesn't show anything. Not even that you started a video playback. Or do you mean some nodes are not working. -> "open a specific movie library" is not clear to me.

Nodes are not working.  I have multiple movie libraries (Kids Movies, Movies, Halloween) in Emby that I have an entry for on the Home menu.  Clicking on the those entries previously would show the movies specific to that library.  Now it's just showing me a generic Kodi video screen.

quickmic
2 minutes ago, banderson1311 said:

Nodes are not working.  I have multiple movie libraries (Kids Movies, Movies, Halloween) in Emby that I have an entry for on the Home menu.  Clicking on the those entries previously would show the movies specific to that library.  Now it's just showing me a generic Kodi video screen.

I can see one of them here:

GetDirectory - Error getting library://video/emby_movies_KidsMovies/inprogress.xml/

Have you tried to reconfigure those nodes? I have changed a few things maybe the path to the node is now different.