embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic
On 11/2/2020 at 8:28 PM, horstepipe said:

@quickmic I experiene wayy longer syncing time (initial sync, movies only) with the latest alpha build 324 on Apple TV. Will there be room for optimization or is it as it is? From what I see for now syncing my movies database will take 6 times longer (from 30 minutes to 3 hours).

best regards

I found a proper solution to avoid two server queries, additionally I improved the "old" sync code. Maybe it's now even faster before 🙂

Kodi Flags will be also supported in the next release.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

DiscoDuck79
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Please explain what you exactly mean.

To my understanding external .mka audio files doesn't work in add-on mode. I've always used Native mode since it was much faster for me so I might be completely wrong.

quickmic

Sorry, still don't get it 🙄

As you maybe know, I took over from Angelblue but I'm still not familiar with all "exotic" features in 4.X. and also not with all features of native Kodi.

5.x will not support native mode any longer, but I'll try to migrate all features from native mode to plugin mode.

"External mka" sounds to me, you are "injecting" a audio stream to an existing video stream?

Please explain for noobs, what's your approach.

Edited by quickmic

DiscoDuck79

In order to use an external audio file I use the same approach as to using an external subtitle, e.g I have the below in the same movie folder

Name.of.my.movie.mkv

Name.of.my.movie.swe.srt - for a Swedish subtitle

Name.of.my.movie.deu.mka - for a German audio track

Then I can use a different audio track with the same mkv, it's one of those great Kodi features

• Like 1

quickmic

Ah, I understand. I haven't added external subtitles yet. It's on the todo list but seems it's more or less the same with external audio tracks.

To my understanding, is this only valid for transcode (hls) streams?

Direct streams (from emby-server) should deal with it directly without modifications from Kodi (E4K)?

DiscoDuck79

I use E4K in Native mode so it's Direct Play only. It might already be working in add-on mode, I just don't want to loose the feature...

Maybe someone that uses add-on mode could advise if it's working or not? I'm a bit too pleased with my current setup so I don't want to wipe it for a trial run 😄

quickmic

I'm a bit too pleased with my current setup so I don't want to wipe it for a trial run

I absolutely understand and it's a wise choice!

What I'm currently releasing are 5.X alpha versions. I keep on eye on such features. I don't wanna break anything!

muzicman0

By saying native mode won't work, are you saying that Kodi won't play the media file from a direct link (smb) (Direct Play?)?  If so, that completely breaks my use case, since the only reason I use it is so that Kodi will honor my EDL files for commercial skipping.  

Edited by muzicman0

quickmic

Well I can add native mode again, but I'm trying to avoid it.

Which addon are you using for edl?

horstepipe

Thanks! I will check it out. Btw, can we see the release notes somewhere? Looks like 4.1.21 is in stable repo now, does this version use the new, fast playback method?

Edited by horstepipe

quickmic

Release notes are her:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/releases

I have no write permissions on the E4K status thread. I wrote Luke a PM that he can update the thread.

"fast playback method", you mean like in 5.X? No, and 4.X will never get that. This is not just a code update, the 5.x method requires fundamental changes in DB and player code.

Actually, 5.X is the 4.X with those changes.

All bugfixes in 5.x are added in 4.x as long as it's possible. Some "fixes" are only available in 5.x.

Actually unique 5.x "fixes" are not fixes, the bugs just not affecting 5.x due to complete different approach.

4.x is constantly manipulating playlist and Kodi related stuff. Also the player is actually faking things. If Kodi starts a video in 4.x, it's not just calling the URL of local websocket (and redirected to embyserver). The local webserver returns another PluginTriggerEvent. This event triggers the playercode, the playercode manipulates the playlist (deletes the current playlist item, injects a new playlistitem with the correct URL to the emby server) and starts the Kodi player via "resolveurl" command.

The "resolveurl" is also a great source of issues. I spent hours fixing that part and it just become a little bit better/more reliable. As a side effect, playlist items are not labelled correctly with this updated code. Therefore it's just available in dev-mode in 4.x.

I could go on, but I think you got a impression how 4.x works and it's totally different than 5.x.

5.x leaves those parts up to Kodi as it should be. As a matter of fact some bugs are just not there.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 2

horstepipe
18 hours ago, quickmic said:

I found a proper solution to avoid two server queries, additionally I improved the "old" sync code. Maybe it's now even faster before 🙂

Kodi Flags will be also supported in the next release.

Just to make sure, that version is not available yet, correct?

quickmic

Not yet, I wanna fix the artwork cache as well and perform more tests. I think  I'll update next weekend.

• Thanks 1

muzicman0
10 hours ago, quickmic said:

Well I can add native mode again, but I'm trying to avoid it.

Which addon are you using for edl?

Not sure what you are asking.  I currently am using embycon, but I prefer Emby4Kodi.  The problem with E4K is that it would have sync issues that would cause me to have to completely resync a library, and that takes a while so I got fed up (multiple episodes of TV shows would just go missing sometimes with E4K). 

As far as EDL goes, I generate the EDL files outside of Kodi and Emby (I have a script that runs), and in Native mode, Kodi will automatically honor the EDL file and skip sections of the video based on the EDL.  Emby does not have that feature, so without native playback it won't work.

quickmic

Not sure what you are asking.  I currently am using embycon, but I prefer Emby4Kodi.  The problem with E4K is that it would have sync issues that would cause me to have to completely resync a library, and that takes a while so I got fed up (multiple episodes of TV shows would just go missing sometimes with E4K). 

Is fixed in 4.1.21

Not sure what you are asking. 

I was asking, cause I got the impression you are using E4K at the moment and 5.0 with addon mode only would break your workflow.

muzicman0
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Is fixed in 4.1.21

Awesome, I am giving it another try.  I am on the beta repo, so it is 4.1.22.  hopefully that will be fine.  I just don't want to update to 5.0 unless native paths are supported, so I will disable auto updates.

muzicman0
57 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

Awesome, I am giving it another try.  I am on the beta repo, so it is 4.1.22.  hopefully that will be fine.  I just don't want to update to 5.0 unless native paths are supported, so I will disable auto updates.

If there is a better thread for this, please point me there...

I am running 4.1.22, and everything seems fine, except one series.  Deadliest Catch, in my recorded TV library.  no matter what I do, I can only get 2 episodes to show up.  In Embycon, there are more like 12.  I have tried repairing, restarting, and nothing seems to work.  All other series in that library seem to be fine.

UPDATE: I reset the Kodi database from within E4K, and it appears all is well now.  I am loading other libraries (much larger ones), and assuming all goes well, I should be good to go.

Edited by muzicman0
UPDATE

5.x will not support native mode any longer, but I'll try to migrate all features from native mode to plugin mode

I hope you may reconsider shelving “native mode”

My use case is this!

I have multiple locations connecting via wan to my emby server each location has a local copy of all media

so direct play is always available (even when the wan go’s down) as the media is local.

My understanding of “plugin mode” is that an active connection to the server is required at all times or media won’t play!

Kind regards,

Hi,

I only want to ask if Emby for Kodi will ever able to display subtitle when transcoding, also be able to choose the preferred bitrate like its counterpart add on (Embycon)

quickmic
10 hours ago, muzicman0 said:

UPDATE: I reset the Kodi database from within E4K, and it appears all is well now.  I am loading other libraries (much larger ones), and assuming all goes well, I should be good to go.

Yep, DB reset is required if DB is already affected. The 4.1.21 doesn't repair the broken DB, it just fixes issue so that's not happen again.

quickmic
18 minutes ago, migwind said:

Hi,

I only want to ask if Emby for Kodi will ever able to display subtitle when transcoding, also be able to choose the preferred bitrate like its counterpart add on (Embycon)

Yes sure. Audio stream and subtitle selection will be added in one of the next version. Transcoding is already working.

2 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Yes sure. Audio stream and subtitle selection will be added in one of the next version. Transcoding is already working.

Cool :) I'm a wee bit new to Emby but know Kodi for some time now. Yesterday I tested the latest stable version but was dissapointed because no subtitle is shown when using Emby for Kodi if you choose to transcode. How do you set transcoding speed btw, is it through "Home connection speed : xyz mbps"? Can we set it to "Auto" like in the Emby official app :)

• Like 1

quickmic
3 hours ago, fattony said:

I hope you may reconsider shelving “native mode”

My use case is this!

I have multiple locations connecting via wan to my emby server each location has a local copy of all media

so direct play is always available (even when the wan go’s down) as the media is local.

My understanding of “plugin mode” is that an active connection to the server is required at all times or media won’t play!

Kind regards,

Yes I think I'll add native mode again. Seems there are some usescases plugin mode cannot cover.

Just checking, you have a local copy of the media files in Kodi? That makes not really sense to me. Nativ mode is not designed for that, even if it technically could work this way  🤔

Native mode is designed to access the media just via direct path instead of http requests. -> Kodi should have access via same (network) pathes as the emby server has.

• Like 1

quickmic
1 hour ago, migwind said:

Cool :) I'm a wee bit new to Emby but know Kodi for some time now. Yesterday I tested the latest stable version but was dissapointed because no subtitle is shown when using Emby for Kodi if you choose to transcode. How do you set transcoding speed btw, is it through "Home connection speed : xyz mbps"? Can we set it to "Auto" like in the Emby official app :)

4.X Version can handle subtitle and audiostream selection. Have you enabled the selection? E4K options -> playback -> Ënabke audio.subtitels selection.

"Home connection speed : xyz mbps"

Yes

Can we set it to "Auto" like in the Emby official app

Not sure how the emby app detects the speed. I'll check that.

Edited by quickmic

19 hours ago, quickmic said:

Yes I think I'll add native mode again. Seems there are some usescases plugin mode cannot cover.

Just checking, you have a local copy of the media files in Kodi? That makes not really sense to me. Nativ mode is not designed for that, even if it technically could work this way  🤔

Native mode is designed to access the media just via direct path instead of http requests. -> Kodi should have access via same (network) pathes as the emby server has.

@quickmic

Yes each location including the site with emby server has a local copy of the media files & the network architecture is also identical at each location.

so for e.g. all remote sites including the emby server site has the following direct path to a media file

\\10.0.1.10\storage\Movies\Star Trek Beyond (2016)\Star Trek Beyond (2016) - 720p.mkv

This setup has been working flawlessly across 3 remote locations & because each site has local media, playback is instant.

Kind regards,