embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

monkeylove

Sorry for the bother! I just found out that I used the wrong type:

If I use the Home Videos and Photos, then the library will be displayed as video files.

I I used Mixed Content, then the library will be displayed as plain folders, which is what I want.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
quickmic
30 minutes ago, aaearon said:

Would it be possible to back port the skip intro feature from 7?

No, cause this will require major database and code modifications. Why not just using 7.X?

monkeylove

I can't offer any logs for these issue, but I'd like to know if anyone has experienced them:

I add a TV show with some seasons, and it shows up in the Emby and then Kodi libraries. I delete the folder containing the show, and it disappears in both. I bring back the show with a new season, and it shows up in Emby but not in Kodi, even after manually updating.

I decide to reset the database, and it gets stuck deleting the music library; no music was added.

I disable the addon, delete the database files and thumbnails directory, shut down Kodi, restart it, and enable the addon, which syncs to Emby. This time, the TV show appears.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having bad performance with addon compared to watching from a web browser. 

Items take long time to play or is buffering from start but no issues watching directly off server using web browser 

• 2 weeks later...
monkeylove

Some things I found out:

I've been using an Android media player that has no standby mode (it turns out when it receives electricity) and had set it up to run Kodi at startup because that time I was not using a server (Kodi scanned videos from different sources). I use power strips with a single master button, so when I press it to turn on the TV the media player and other devices are also turned on.

When the Emby addon for Kodi is used in that case, the addon might scan for sources that aren't needed (like .deleted folders left by Tiny Media Manager), fail to add newly added videos, and keep searching for the media server even though it is not available (because my PC is still turned off). I checked the Emby library from the server, there are no problems with the video library entries.

Given that, my simple solution is not to turn on the media player automatically. Turn it on only when I plan to watch something. By that time, my PC is already turned on and any video addition, modification, or deletion has already been done.

On more thing: I seem to be getting faster scanning, etc., with the beta version of the addon (all settings in default mode), but I've also experienced playback delays, around two times for the last week.

• Like 1

hnorgaar

Is it possible to use extra fanart, doesnt seem to work for me, which works in Emby Player so naming and placement is fine?

Thx for any input

quickmic
2 hours ago, hnorgaar said:

Is it possible to use extra fanart, doesnt seem to work for me, which works in Emby Player so naming and placement is fine?

Thx for any input

6.x versions is currently the latest stable version. I'll not add any features, only fixing confirmed bugs.

You can try 7.x versions and report issues or (limited) feature request. Also 7.x. is very close to be tagged as beta/stable.

Major changes will be added in 8.x version (which is not under development yet), but I keep a list of requests.

• 2 weeks later...
monkeylove

Here's another point: if you decide to, say, replace the files in the folder of a TV show, then Emby for Kodi might still show the old files in its library. If you refresh the entry or even update the library, the old files might still show up.

The fastest way to fix that is to shut down Kodi, then go to the server, move the TV show folder to a temporary one, run the Emby server configuration and scan the library files again, and see if the TV show disappears from the Kodi library.

Then reload Kodi and let the Emby addon sync with the server. The show should now disappear from the Kodi library.

Shut down Kodi, go back to the server, move the TV show folder back, scan the library again, and see if the show can be seen in the server library. Then reload Kodi, let the Emby addon sync with the server, and the TV show should show up once more in the Kodi library with the old files gone.

• Like 1

quickmic
1 hour ago, monkeylove said:

Here's another point: if you decide to, say, replace the files in the folder of a TV show, then Emby for Kodi might still show the old files in its library. If you refresh the entry or even update the library, the old files might still show up.

The fastest way to fix that is to shut down Kodi, then go to the server, move the TV show folder to a temporary one, run the Emby server configuration and scan the library files again, and see if the TV show disappears from the Kodi library.

Then reload Kodi and let the Emby addon sync with the server. The show should now disappear from the Kodi library.

Shut down Kodi, go back to the server, move the TV show folder back, scan the library again, and see if the show can be seen in the server library. Then reload Kodi, let the Emby addon sync with the server, and the TV show should show up once more in the Kodi library with the old files gone.

There are limitations in 6.X version in case you remove/move a complete folder. Emby server would only report the deleted/folder ID (not the content IDs) and folders are not synced in 6.x. It will be fixed in 7.x but not possible to backport. Major code changes was necessary to cover this case.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
artstar

With Kodi Nexus release candidates starting to float around, does anyone know if this plugin is compatible with Nexus?

Looking to mess around with Nexus but won't bother if this plugin won't work with it.

quickmic
On 1/7/2023 at 6:08 AM, artstar said:

With Kodi Nexus release candidates starting to float around, does anyone know if this plugin is compatible with Nexus?

Looking to mess around with Nexus but won't bother if this plugin won't work with it.

7.x yes (but not optimized), 6.x maybe (not tested)

Edited by quickmic

brad.odegard

Hi, so having an issue where WATCHED status is not tracking between Kodi and Emby (or between the several Kodi's I have).

As an example - watched a show last night on Kodi #1, shows watched on Kodi #1, shows unwatched in Emby, but strangely shows as watched on Kodi #2, but the prior episodes of the same show do not match Watched status of Kodi #1.

----

Kodi 19.5 running on Fire TV, GOOGLE CHROMECAST, and Raspberry Pi.

Emby Server 4.7.11.0 running on a windows machine

Next Gen 6.2.22 running on all Kodi.

----

I do not get any WATCHED status updating between Kodi and Emby - both behave like the other is not there.

I do get regular new content update on the Kodi from Emby - also Kodi shows successful login and syncing at startup with Emby via Next-gen.

I did try to move the Sync Date back a couple days to see if it forced an updated in watched status back to Emby - no change as far as I can tell looking at 2 or 3 different shows.

Not sure where to start on this as far as log files or other diagnostic data to help narrow this down.

I will say that I did previously have this working well - might have been back around Kodi 19.3?  Also could have been when I was running the Emby Server on my NAS prior to the move to my Windows media gathering machine.

Thanks

quickmic
10 hours ago, brad.odegard said:

Hi, so having an issue where WATCHED status is not tracking between Kodi and Emby (or between the several Kodi's I have).

As an example - watched a show last night on Kodi #1, shows watched on Kodi #1, shows unwatched in Emby, but strangely shows as watched on Kodi #2, but the prior episodes of the same show do not match Watched status of Kodi #1.

----

Kodi 19.5 running on Fire TV, GOOGLE CHROMECAST, and Raspberry Pi.

Emby Server 4.7.11.0 running on a windows machine

Next Gen 6.2.22 running on all Kodi.

----

I do not get any WATCHED status updating between Kodi and Emby - both behave like the other is not there.

I do get regular new content update on the Kodi from Emby - also Kodi shows successful login and syncing at startup with Emby via Next-gen.

I did try to move the Sync Date back a couple days to see if it forced an updated in watched status back to Emby - no change as far as I can tell looking at 2 or 3 different shows.

Not sure where to start on this as far as log files or other diagnostic data to help narrow this down.

I will say that I did previously have this working well - might have been back around Kodi 19.3?  Also could have been when I was running the Emby Server on my NAS prior to the move to my Windows media gathering machine.

Thanks

First things first, do you use the same Emby user account on all three devices? That would explain everything.

Second, could be that the realtime connection is no longer working (as you migrated your Emby server). Maybe NAS is blocking the Emby socket connection.

Edited by quickmic

brad.odegard
11 hours ago, quickmic said:

First things first, do you use the same Emby user account on all three devices? That would explain everything.

Second, could be that the realtime connection is no longer working (as you migrated your Emby server). Maybe NAS is blocking the Emby socket connection.

I've tried both using same Emby user account on devices or different - which is the preferred?

NAS shouldn't be between Kodi and Emby on Windows - I've looked around at Windows Firewall to try and identify any potential traffic blocks - any pointers on specific traffic and ports?

quickmic
1 minute ago, brad.odegard said:

I've tried both using same Emby user account on devices or different - which is the preferred?

There is nothing "preferred by the plugin". Actually, seems there is bit lag of knowledge. Progress is user specific by Emby server.

NAS shouldn't be between Kodi and Emby on Windows

I thought you moved Emby server to your NAS.

I've looked around at Windows Firewall to try and identify any potential traffic blocks - any pointers on specific traffic and ports?

Ports are the same, websocket is responsible for realtime updates. This is a protocol not a specific port.

Send a text msg from Emby server to Kodi plugin. If this is not working, something is blocking. Also could be a proxy (if you are using one).

quickmic

btw, please open a new thread, I highly doubt this is a plugin issue. Seems more like a network problem.

• 1 month later...
CDogg2000

I've noticed "sslverify" or "verify connection" is no longer possible.  Is there another way to disable this?  Using an older 6.2 version has this option and it allows me to use a self-signed certificate.

quickmic
6 hours ago, CDogg2000 said:

I've noticed "sslverify" or "verify connection" is no longer possible.  Is there another way to disable this?  Using an older 6.2 version has this option and it allows me to use a self-signed certificate.

Not possible and wouldn't make sense. Even if the plugin ignores the certificates, Kodi wouldn't on playback.

You could import your self signed certificate to your Kodi box.

CDogg2000

My certificate is imported into Kodi's "C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\certs\cacert.pem".  This has been working up until updating this particular addon.  The slightly older version works but this one doesn't and none of the newer ones work either.

quickmic
3 hours ago, CDogg2000 said:

My certificate is imported into Kodi's "C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\certs\cacert.pem".  This has been working up until updating this particular addon.  The slightly older version works but this one doesn't and none of the newer ones work either.

Do you use native mode or addon mode? I assume addon. Did you also try a 7.X version, and what was the last working version? Did you update Kodi as well?

Edited by quickmic

CDogg2000

I do use it in addon mode I'm pretty sure.  I have tried the current latest 7.x and 8.x versions as well with same results.  Using Kodi 19.5.  Last "working" version I've been using for sometime now has been "6.2.0 (beta)" according to the changlog file.  Server version 4.6.7.0.  It does work well for how old it is.  Do you know of the latest version that allows self-signed certificates?