Plugin help

cjlong45

cjlong45

Hi I was wondering if anyone here could help me, I am a early beginner programmer and I'm looking to make a plugin for emby that can open a specific Web page for this example as I'm English I would like to make a Web page open BBCiplayer.Co.Uk and navagate it using a tv remote with no on screen mouse the same way say official android tv os can and do the exact same for other specific Web pages. I would like to be able to run it all In back ground the same way emby does everything else and to be able to access it the same as other plugins through various devices using emby If any one can help, start me off, do the whole thing or just as much help as possible I would be really grateful and would be happy to gift a drink or few through PayPal 

Many thanks Charlie 

@chef

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Just about to start doing plugins myself - so good luck on your journey as its going to take some learning programming and emby at the same time :)

one point you need to consider is the TOS of IPlayer probably restricts content scrapping or its not allowed - so you need to look at that - and emby's TOS for plugins has restrictions for doing the same thing - but if the plugin is only for your use then you can efectively do what you want.

A couple of tips - you probably want to look at setting up a channel plugin - examples already exist in the plugin catalogue. If you look through the Plugin subforum you can see some of the plugins that are not in the catalgue for various reasons for ideas for whats possible and also some plugin devs have posted their code on github so you can find some working examples etc.

Finally if you have not found it already there is a emby plugin/api wiki on Github which gives  a very simple overview of how to do a plugin - but it assumes way to much knowledge for the beginner - plus its very old and has not been updated in the last couple of years. But in hopefully the near future a few of us will have some new documents which we are crafting at present that will help new plugin devs get started with upto date info , examples, screenshots etc and how to configure VS2019 - no eta as yet - but likely in the next few weeks as a few "life" things have got in the way.

Good luck and have fun

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 5:33 PM, cjlong45 said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone here could help me, I am a early beginner programmer and I'm looking to make a plugin for emby that can open a specific Web page for this example as I'm English I would like to make a Web page open BBCiplayer.Co.Uk and navagate it using a tv remote with no on screen mouse the same way say official android tv os can and do the exact same for other specific Web pages. I would like to be able to run it all In back ground the same way emby does everything else and to be able to access it the same as other plugins through various devices using emby If any one can help, start me off, do the whole thing or just as much help as possible I would be really grateful and would be happy to gift a drink or few through PayPal 

Many thanks Charlie 

@chef

Do you have stream urls for the BBC channel?

Lemme check it out, I'll let you know if we can do this.

EDIT: okay... so we aren't allowed to "scrape" websites for data. It goes against terms and conditions. At the moment I'm not sure we can legally get those channels loaded into emby without breaking terms.

But I'm still looking at the site.

Edited by chef

Technically you can use regexp and a browser user agent. If their robots.txt allows indexing they are fair game.
If it says disallow by all means you are trample their rights.

https://www.bbc.com/robots.txt

For example that one there. See if they are allowing bots to index that url by checking for disallow. If they do I do not see the harm in scraping it. The search bots already are.

I know Emby terms say no web scraping. But regexp on html when you use the correct browser agent is akin to being a web browser and selectively showing information same as a search engine.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, speechles said:

Technically you can use regexp and a browser user agent. If their robots.txt allows indexing they are fair game.
If it says disallow by all means you are trample their rights.

https://www.bbc.com/robots.txt

For example that one there. See if they are allowing bots to index that url by checking for disallow. If they do I do not see the harm in scraping it. The search bots already are.

I know Emby terms say no web scraping. But regexp on html when you use the correct browser agent is akin to being a web browser and selectively showing information same as a search engine.

The only thing that concerns me is that they mention a TV license here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/terms/do-i-need-a-tv-licence/

I've never heard of that before... .. I'm mean... we could  copy XPATH  the site and get the feed urls... but I'm unclear if we should be doing that.

For instance here is the XPATH to the iframe which directs back to another site which is where the BBCPlayer is hosting the videos:

//*[@id="smphtml5iframeplayout-p08t62471"]

So none of the videos are actually hosted on the site, they are somewhere else on the internet.

Edited by chef

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on any online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It covers all programmes on any channel, including soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

• if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
  • for all channels, not just the BBC
  • if you record a programme and watch it later
  • if you watch a programme on a delay
  • to watch or record repeats
  • to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
  • to watch live programmes on Red Button services
  • even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services

That is how they handle TV hookups in the UK. You buy a TV. Well you cannot use it legally until you purchase a license. I am sure there are a significant amount not paying for silly licensing to watch any "programmes".

It's quite different than in America where we have no such thing.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

cjlong45

Hi everyone so what I was talking about wasn't particularly for bbc just to make any website we choose to load full screen and be navigated by tv remote and no mouse so this I believe does not break any rules etc as it would merely load a website like an app 

• Like 1

cjlong45

Hopefully some one here can help with it as for tv licence in the UK we have to pay to watch TV over the air but as I said this is for all websites to be loaded and controlled via TV remote and for no mouse to be seen 

• Like 1

Someone would need a TV license and be using that same TV they are using for BBC with Emby. In that way the license extends to cover Emby when it streams airs/streams shows from the UK. The plugin itself wouldn't need the license as broadcasters don't need the license. Just receivers do. (ie.. the plugin would only be legal in the UK with UK users who purchased TV licenses.. everyone else using it would be illegal).

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cjlong45 said:

Hopefully some one here can help with it as for tv licence in the UK we have to pay to watch TV over the air but as I said this is for all websites to be loaded and controlled via TV remote and for no mouse to be seen 

This is an interesting idea. It might be a bit above my capabilities. We could redirect a plugin option from the navbar in the web client easy enough, it could even use iframes like the BBC player, but not sure how to do that for other clients.

cjlong45

Man I'm open to whatever to get this going I would even pay someone to do it if someone is up for it as long as the plugin can be replicated for other web sites even Netflix etc as all it would be is a browser with TV remote control functions by all means if some one thinks they can do it pm or whatever