Treat internal IP address as external for VPN users

instantsunrise
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

instantsunrise

I’ve started using WireGuard running on my phone with a Raspberry Pi acting as the VPN server.

I understand that as far as Emby is concerned all my traffic is now masked as if it’s coming from internally to the network.

However, I normally cap the bitrate of connections outside of the network in order to keep streaming performance manageable.  If I’m using a VPN then as far as Emby is concerned I’m connected internally.

Is it possible to get a feature added to the server that lets me designate a specific IP address on the network and force Emby to always treat that IP address as if it’s external?

• Solution
Happy2Play

Have you looked as Dashboard-Network, Could you not accomplish the same by defining your LAN Networks?

LAN networks:

Comma separated list of IP addresses or IP/netmask entries for networks that will be considered on local network when enforcing bandwidth restrictions. If set, all other IP addresses will be considered to be on the external network and will be subject to the external bandwidth restrictions. If left blank, only the server's subnet and common private IP subnets (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24, etc.) are considered to be on the local network.

instantsunrise
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Have you looked as Dashboard-Network, Could you not accomplish the same by defining your LAN Networks?

LAN networks:

Comma separated list of IP addresses or IP/netmask entries for networks that will be considered on local network when enforcing bandwidth restrictions. If set, all other IP addresses will be considered to be on the external network and will be subject to the external bandwidth restrictions. If left blank, only the server's subnet and common private IP subnets (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24, etc.) are considered to be on the local network.

That could work but is there any documentation on the syntax for ip ranges that it would accept?  I deliberately set my rpi to be outside of my router’s DHCP range so that’s not an issue.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, instantsunrise said:

That could work but is there any documentation on the syntax for ip ranges that it would accept?  I deliberately set my rpi to be outside of my router’s DHCP range so that’s not an issue.

Just the note under the setting.

instantsunrise

To clarify, my router assigns DHCP addresses from 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.199, the rpi has a static IP address of 10.0.1.254 to avoid address collisions with DHCP devices, and the pc running Emby has a dhcp reservation of 10.0.1.101.

I’m wondering what the syntax is to tell it that only 10.0.1.1 to 10.0.1.199 are within the local network and anything outside of that is to be treated as the internet.

Can I just type in 10.0.1.1-10.0.1.199 into the network configuration box and that’ll work or do I have to type in each IP address in that range one at a time?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, instantsunrise said:

Can I just type in 10.0.1.1-10.0.1.199 into the network configuration box and that’ll work or do I have to type in each IP address in that range one at a time?

Yes single IPs or IP/CIDR.  A network guru would have to comment as it has been to long since I have done CIDR calculations.

Comma separated list of IP addresses or IP/netmask entries

ginjaninja

if the vpn gateway gives the vpn client an ip on the servers subnet then its going to be harder for the server to see the vpn client as remote.

i am no vpn expert but our vpn gateway at work allicates vpn clients with ips on a different network to allow for distinction. can a rpi do this? that might be a more elegant solution.