Transcoded HEVC Playback = Loss of Main Dialogue Sound Channel

troyhough
Go to solution Solved by troyhough,

troyhough

Server 4.5.2.0

Emby Web 4.4.3.60 on Android / Chrome / Pixel 4XL

When playing back HEVC content the main dialogue audio track is gone, you only hear the Surround track. The same problem is happening on with the Chromebook with the Emby for Android Mobile 3.1.40 app.

Is this problem or the Chromebook surround audio issue being worked on?

Thanks

Edited by troyhough

I think as others have alluded to this is a problem with the audio output of the device. It's not able to downmix the 5.1 audio correctly. I just haven't had a chance to look at how we're going to work around it and then also how we're going to detect that we even need to workaround it.

troyhough
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

I think as others have alluded to this is a problem with the audio output of the device. It's not able to downmix the 5.1 audio correctly. I just haven't had a chance to look at how we're going to work around it and then also how we're going to detect that we even need to workaround it.

That doesn't sound very positive at all. If I use the official Android Emby app, as you know, it will not play back HEVC smoothly (Direct Play). Now, if I use the Web app and transcode it, it plays back smoothly but no sound!

I believe it is a pretty widespread problem with all devices running chromeos. We'll look into workarounds.

• Like 1

troyhough

the same HEVC files played back all previous times using the web player on the same phone perform played back without issue. this no audio (with transcoding) is a recent new problem.

the same HEVC files, using the Android app are choppy, lose frames (direct play) but the sound is perfect.

the same HEVC files, using the Android app play perfectly, both audio and video (transcoded).

the same HEVC files, using the Android app, but with VLC as the external player (direct play), play back smooth as butter, both audio and video.

the same HEVC files, using the Android app, but with VLC as the external player (transcoded), play back smooth as butter, both audio and video.

Device = Pixel 4 XL
Emby Web 4.4.3.60 Chrome
Emby for Android Mobile 3.1.40

vlc doesn't really count here as it has a custom video player. chrome is going to be using the device's native audio rendering, so that's why the issue can be seen with it.

troyhough

Are you saying it's a Chrome bug that just popped up recently? Audio worked when transcoding very recently....

troyhough
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

I'm saying it will impact any app using the device's native player.

But it did work before???

Your system is not identical to before. There would have been system updates in the meantime, Chrome updates, etc.

troyhough
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Your system is not identical to before. There would have been system updates in the meantime, Chrome updates, etc.

I see. So some sort of Chrome/OS update broke the audio playback? What about the video dropping frames when direct playing HEVC with the Android app. I've been whining about this for a long time. Do you know what is causing this? It's only with the Emby app player, not VLC.

• Solution
troyhough

This appears fixed in 4.4.3.61

Thanks

Edited by troyhough

troyhough
3 hours ago, Luke said:

In what exactly?

Ok something is wrong with the message board too (desktop Chrome). Many times recently when I try to post, reply to a post, quote a post it redirects to the thread and I can't write anything. Has this been reported? I just had to make a post from mobile then go back to my desktop to edit it to write this stuff.

As far as "what is fixed now" is this:

--------------------------------------------
Device = Pixe
l 4 XL
Emby Web 4.4.3.60 Chrome

When playing back HEVC content the main dialogue audio track is gone, you only hear the Surround track

I am on 4.4.3.62 and am no longer having this particular issue. It seems fixed now.

--------------------------------------------

The problem with loss of video frames with HEVC Direct Play with the official Android app continues though :angry:

Edited by troyhough