Subtitles broken on update to Apple tvOS 14

NigelG

The most recent release of the Apple TV app on tvOS 14 has broken the subtitle display.

Upon opening a film with an external .srt subtitle file (which has worked correctly prior to this) the subtitles either do not follow the Apple TV subtitle settings and are very thin, small and the lettering is broken, or the subtitles do not appear at all. Opening the film a 'Subtitles Loading' message is briefly displayed (which I've also not seen before) but one of the described conditions occurs.

This makes it impossible (in the second case) to watch the film if it is a foreign language.

The subtitles work correctly as normal on iOS 14 and on the web client, but not on tvOS.

Server version 4.5.2.0 (but also the same with an earlier version), Apple TV version 1.4.8, tvOS version 14.0.2

I'm having the same issue, not sure which log would be useful, but I'm running a Windows server 4.5.2.0 and the external .srt subtitles work fine on the Android app 3.1.23

However on Apple TV 1.4.8 no subtitles seem to be working anymore.

This was not an issue yesterday.

Can I rollback the Apple TV app?

44 minutes ago, geimapi said:

I'm having the same issue, not sure which log would be useful, but I'm running a Windows server 4.5.2.0 and the external .srt subtitles work fine on the Android app 3.1.23

However on Apple TV 1.4.8 no subtitles seem to be working anymore.

This was not an issue yesterday.

Can I rollback the Apple TV app?

Hi there @geimapi, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue: 

Thanks !

The only ffmpeg log from this date (8th October) is where I tested the playback on my iPhone where the subtitles play correctly. It is attached below.

I've tried again today and played the first 5 minutes of the same film. The only log from today is the embyserver.txt. No ffmpeg log.

I have also noticed that although the external .srt file is listed in the Apple TV Emby app, when playing the film and the pull-down menu is used the subtitles section does not appear. Only the Info and Audio sections. Normally Subtitles also appear here.

ffmpeg-transcode-c625b269-e55c-46d8-a2f7-4115d0ead3b7_1.txt

I've just done an experiment with the next subtitled film I planned to watch. I created a version with embedded subtitles. Choosing this version to play on the Apple TV the subtitles display correctly - although I had to select the correct subtitles again after the film started playing. Playing the version with the external .srt file the subtitles do not appear.

Edited by NigelG

Where will I find the setting for this? I was not aware that the player could be changed. I cannot see any player choice in the app settings. 

Perhaps it is the ‘Enable MPV’ setting. This is not ticked (checked). But I’m not sure what this means. 

Edited by NigelG

vdatanet
1 minute ago, NigelG said:

Where will I find the setting for this? I was not aware that the player could be changed. I cannot see any player choice in the app settings. 

Settings - Playback - Enable MPV. You have to restart the application.

vdatanet

You have to players to choose. Native player, very limited and MPV player. Native player is good if you have a powerfull server, on the other hand MPV requires less transcoding.

Native player supports frame rate and dynamic range match, but MPV player doesn't.

https://mpv.io

Edited by vdatanet

Enabling MPV also fixed my issue, I just didn't know it would switch to native player after upgrading. I'll check for that in future updates. Thanks for the help.

vdatanet

@cayars @Luke Do you think it is worth creating a KB article explaining how to change from Apple native player to MPV player and vice versa, and explain the pros and cons of each one? I have detected a bit of confusion among users in this regard. I can create a draft version, Luke reviews it and cayars puts some literature on it.

If anything this is just a defect that needs to be resolved. Subtitles should show no matter which player you pick.

Just as a final thought, I'm not sure what player was being used prior to the upgrade to tvOS 14 but I have noticed that with the MPV player the subtitles are not adjustable and do not follow the subtitle setting of the Apple TV. This is not a serious problem but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

10 hours ago, Luke said:

If anything this is just a defect that needs to be resolved. Subtitles should show no matter which player you pick.

I've been unable to repeat this issue on the Apple native player. If I can repeat it I'll certainly resolve it!

• 3 weeks later...
Depechie

Glad I found this thread... when playing movies with SRT files, I had the same issue that they were not showing. Switching to MPV player resolved the issue.