Feature Request: Open osd live tv guide with every playing video

pünktchen

pünktchen

It would be great if we could open the on screen live tv guide by the dedicated guide action with every video, not only when we watch live tv.
With dedicated guide action i don't mean the "Up" button, but the "Options" or "Guide" button we can already use on some remotes or in case of Amazon devices the "Menu" button.
Currently these buttons will open the standard osd when playing library items. That's redundant because we can do this already by pressing "Down" or "Info".

So when we get the possibility to open the osd guide we won't loose but gain a feature. And for people that don't have those extra buttons on their remote, they won't miss anything.

• Like 8

Probably not with the menu button as that isn't necessarily intuitive but we can possibly add this for the guide button.  @maegibbons requested this a while ago, I believe.

2 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Doesn't the Amazon menu button with it's three lines look like the tv guide?

It is published as a context menu which, in the context of playing a normal library item doesn't really translate to TV guide.

Psyborg

@ebr: Just in case you're not aware of... This option would be also extremely helpful for all VirtualTV users!!! :rolleyes:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80828-virtualtv-plugin/&do=findComment&comment=934153

Playback:

• Fixed playback start position for channels with bumpers
  • Added new global playback option that allows you to start the following or current program from the beginning if the program start time is in a specified tolerance
  • Added new playback mode "Playlist"
    This is something i wanted to do for a long time and i think it's really outstanding. But like every good thing, this will also have some downsides:
    - Doesn't work with the m3u export function, this will fallback to ffmpeg based continous playback instead
    - Doesn't work with Chromecast yet
    - You will loose the ability to use number imput to switch to other channels and you cannot open the onscreen live tv guide  

Edited by Psyborg

jachin99

Im for it.  Wmc actually did this also as long as you were viewing a wtv file.  I remember it being a nice feature and with VTV it would give us a way to view content from our libraries albeit in a limited way.

mark-in-dallas

I like this idea too, and it's about the only feature that my Tivo box had that I miss in Emby.  I would even be happy if the mini guide were made available while watching recorded TV or Movies, like it is in Live TV.

Spaceboy
On 08/10/2020 at 16:45, ebr said:

Probably not with the menu button as that isn't necessarily intuitive but we can possibly add this for the guide button.  @maegibbons requested this a while ago, I believe.

yeah it was me. several years ago. supported

• 1 month later...

This would be great. I like the idea of having a Guide button even when playing from the library. Plus the new Playlist mode of the VirtualTV plugin is awesome, with the only downside of the guide no being available.