Android Auto issues.

e2zippo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

e2zippo

So I've been looking for an alternative to Google Play Music since it's shutting down in December, and Youtube Music is completely useless! 

And since I use Emby for my movies and shows I thought I'd add my music there as well.

My main usage with music in Emby will be through Android Auto though and I just can't get it to work there.

Whenever I go to Emby in AA and pick my server it just keeps spinning, I never get in, If i disconnect AA and just run Emby as usual it works fine.

Any ideas?

e2zippo
On 10/12/2020 at 9:39 PM, e2zippo said:

I'll give it a go tomorrow, I saw the latest update contained some AA fixes!

Just tried it again and it's still the same, just spinning when I try to connect to my server.

It works fine outside of AA.

e2zippo
23 hours ago, Luke said:

What version number?

Emby Android Version: 3.1.44

Emby Server Version: 4.6.0.1

AA Version: 5.7603954

16 minutes ago, e2zippo said:

Emby Android Version: 3.1.44

Emby Server Version: 4.6.0.1

AA Version: 5.7603954

Ok.

• 3 weeks later...
e2zippo
On 10/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, Luke said:

Everything that is requested in that link. Thanks.

I haven't had the time to look at this but I'd thought I'd give it a go this weekend. How would I go about to collect the proper logs?

Connect my phone to my car, start up Emby in AA and try to connect, then download the embyserver.log?

CBers
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

Emby for Android 3.1.59 has been released with Android Auto improvements. Thanks everyone.

What AA improvements were there please, as there's nothing in the release notes in the app in the Play Store relating specifically to AA ?

Thanks.

It does say Various Android Auto Fixes. We ran out of allowed space for release notes so that was the most I was able to add, but it includes a number of fixes for issues reported over the last few months, ranging from content not showing up, to things like play all/shuffle not working, etc.

e2zippo

Ok, so I've been doing some test now, and things seem to "semi work".

Emby is no longer stuck on just loading when going through AA, instead it just says "No Items".

BUT, it works if I open Emby on the phone, then I can browse and play in AA as well, if I don't, it doesn't work.

And another thing I noticed is that I can see the Trailers category, that one shouldn't be visible here right?

Edit: tried some more, and it seems like Emby causes Android Auto to hang, first it slows down, and then there's no touch response.

I'll try and recreate it and get the logs.

Edited by e2zippo

Got to use emby on android auto for the first time yesterday.   My music is nearly all high quality  FLAC files, but the cell data speeds are not high quality (lte but on the slow side with frequent dead spots).

Emby would stop streaming music, abruptly, and then start again a minute or so later. It happens repeatedly. 

Is there any way to have emby transcode my FLAC to mp3 on the fly and increase the buffer size so this is less of an issue?

11 minutes ago, Tom83 said:

Is there any way to have emby transcode my FLAC to mp3 on the fly and increase the buffer size so this is less of an issue?

Hi there, we already do this. Have you explored the playback options in the app to set the music internet streaming quality?

I tried to do it server side the way I've done with video codecs.  I'll try again (clientside this time) next time I take it for a trip.  Thanks!

Edited by Tom83

Welp, I still haven't managed to find any audio streaming quality, nitrate, or buffer settings clientside either?

Is it in the android auto emby settings?

Is it in the regular android app emby settings?

I've searched both without luck.  Is it somewhere else?

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2020 at 7:36 AM, Tom83 said:

Welp, I still haven't managed to find any audio streaming quality, nitrate, or buffer settings clientside either?

Is it in the android auto emby settings?

Is it in the regular android app emby settings?

I've searched both without luck.  Is it somewhere else?

@Tom83 have you tried the latest version of the app? Are you still seeing the stopping?