External subtitles naming convention for Hearing-impaired/CC/SDH

morpheus65535

morpheus65535

This post is probably intended mainly for @Luke but I will appreciate comment/upvote or anything else that would benefit the discussion 🙂

I'm the dev behind Bazarr and currently having discussion with the devs teams of major media servers/players (eg: Plex, Jellyfin) and I would like to bring Emby to the discussion table to get all the major teams to adopt a mutual standard regarding those subtitles.

So, would it be possible in Emby to interpret correctly the language name for subtitles filename that would look like this?

• Film.en.hi.srt
  • Film.en.cc.srt
  • Film.en.sdh.srt

They should be detected as English subtitles and it would be nice to see a custom tag to make the user aware of the hi/cc/sdh content.

Thanks for joining the discussion. I hope will reach a consensus for that standard! 🙂

Edited by morpheus65535
  • Like 1

morpheus65535
Just now, Luke said:

Hi, what does .hi stand for?

Hey Luke, it stands for hearing-impaired. CC is for Close Captioned and sdh for Subtitles for Deaf and Hard of hearing.

In fact, in Bazarr, we threat them all as the same because anyway they are almost the same. You could do the same without any issue.

Ok well yes we can support these, but only when the language is also applied, at least in the case of hi. hi also means the hindi language.

So if the file name has en.hi, we can interpret as english hearing impaired. but if it only has hi, then that will mean hindi language.

morpheus65535
Just now, Luke said:

Ok well yes we can support these, but only when the language is also applied, at least in the case of hi. hi also means the hindi language.

So if the file name has en.hi, we can interpret as english hearing impaired. but if it only has hi, then that will mean hindi language.

TBH, I clearly discourage having subtitles without language code because language guessing from text is always a PITA and isn't reliable. If the user want to go against that recommendation, it's totally up to him to live with is sh*t. 😉

I would be totally ok with your suggestion!

morpheus65535
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Ok great, sounds good then.

Don't hesitate if you have further questions or if I can help you. I appreciate your help!

• 1 month later...
plittlefield

I too have a request for a SDH Subtitles tweak.

I am naming them like this...

Movie Name (2019) - FHD.eng.sdh.srt

...and would like them to be shown in the interface (of choice) as...

English SDH (SRT)

Thank you!

Paully

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

HI, the hearing impaired status for subtitles, both internal and external will be supported in Emby Server 4.8:

image.png

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
kingy444

Looks like a metadata refresh is also required for them to update - I thought this wasn’t working but then realised new eng.sdh was ok

running a full refresh on a few individual items worked the issue out

now to process the whole library 😂 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kingy444 said:

Looks like a metadata refresh is also required for them to update

Correct.