Firewall settings

Scrums

I usually set up the firewall in my NAS so that only local computers in an IP address range can access the NAS. This disables external Internet access on the NAS. However, DLNA clients don't see the Emby server until I disable this firewall rule.

Is there any firewall rule that I can setup in addition to my local computer rule that will allow DLNA to work?

Edited by Scrums
Capitalisation incorrect

rbjtech

UDP 1900 is the usual DLNA/SSDP port.

What rule did you use to allow only local traffic ?  Both TCP and UDP for all ports ?  

Yes my rule for local traffic allows both TCP and UDP for all ports. And all the DLNA clients are in the IP address range for that rule. I think that Emby server needs to be able to access the internet for some unknown reason before it can be seen by DLNA clients.

Can someone simply tell me which ports I should open for Emby to access what it needs to on the Internet? I don't want anything else on the NAS to access the Internet if at all possible. Of course the ideal situation would be that Emby does not need to access the Internet to provide DLNA…

47 minutes ago, Scrums said:

But why does it need to access the Internet to provide DLNA services? That doesn't make sense to me.

Hi, it does not. What gives you that impression?

image.png.d28622d644d0f9c7cc84eef6c173c1eb.pngimage.png.955bb125d4a5c8b419a0ff4849dd6b6e.png

You can see above that when the firewall rule is enabled media player cannot see the server. When I disable the firewall rule and restart Emby server media player can see the server:

image.png.4ff5b6816bbfe22ff352b15e305b787b.pngimage.png.781e6a42d67fb4a79ceb97a3c9aa9e65.png