DS720+ Vs windows

jesstu

Hi

Im a long time user of emby off a windows i3 (2nd generation).  Im ready to upgrade.

I'm thinking about buying a synology 720+.  I'm just wondering if it runs aswell as emby does on windows.

Most our viewing is done on a nvidia shield these days, but i will want to access from mobiles occasionaly and give access to a few family members, so maybe transcode max 2 streams at once.

At the moment pretty much all our content it 1080p or below, although i suppose we're likely to go 4k in the future.  I like the idea of a nas box to keep things simple

i guess my questions are

• is this a capable machine, or am i better getting a windows pc
  • will it handle a few streams
  • is it reliable
  • is it fairly future proof.

thanks

stuart.

do you think its powerfull enough and future proof enough for emby  (maybe over 4-5yrs)?

part of me is saying just get a pc for flexibility the other part get a nas for simplicity - set and forget.

@jesstu If you're positive you'll only be transcoding two streams at a time, then yes it should be fine. You might want to check out this review:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3570420/synology-ds720-review.html

It has some good feedback and also suggests competing models from Asustor and QNAP down at the bottom.

FrostByte

The 720+ will be good, especially with the new GPU.  Even my older 418play can transcode 4K as long as I'm not transcoding 4K to 4K.  With 4K to 1080p I'm fine.