Emby not "restored" after QNAP wakes up

tmysik

Originally, this message was incorrectly posted in this thread.

Just happened to me right now:

QNAP wakes up (at 9:25 am) but Emby does not (cannot connect to it - using Android app, web browser -, connection timeout occurred). Emby manually restarted at 9:25 am. When exactly went QNAP into the stand-by mode cannot be easily found out, the last message in the log is at 7 am:

screenshot.thumb.png.ee3da725cd07d90b377f4b7fff6a87d6.png

embyserver-63737474435.txt embyserver-63737486808.txt embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63737486844.txt

PenkethBoy

try something for me

set the nas to go to sleep at a specific time and to wake up an hour or two later

do this twice

once with emby running and once with emby shut down - including stopping it in the app centre

then look at the syslogs - any errors - odd entries

My suspiction is that emby when live is not shutdown correctly by the system and cannot restart properly when the nas wakes

or when the nas wakes emby is not called with correct perameters and has a strop and wont let you connect

Question - does your nas have a fixed IP - and how did you set this up if so? Details very important in all this - more info than you think necessary.

Have you done an changes to the default network setup on the nas

anything unusal about your setup other than the qnap - whats it connected to?

what emby clients are you using to connect/test the server after wake ?

there are numerous options for this to go pear shaped - so as much detail as possible might give us a clue..........

@PenkethBoy

Hi, I really appreciate your help, sorry that it is taking me so long time.

> set the nas to go to sleep at a specific time and to wake up an hour or two later

> with emby running

This is what I do, actually. My QNAP goes to sleep every midnight and wakes up at 6 am. But most of the time, Emby is running correctly in this case (in the morning, once NAS is started). The problem usually appears during the day, when NAS goes into the standby (sleep?) mode and wakes up automatically once I connect to it (using any way - browser, QNAP Android app but NOT Emby). This is the problem I am facing, so I probably did not choose proper wording for this thread title? Sorry about that, feel free to improve it, of course.

with emby shut down - including stopping it in the app centre

I am pretty sure that this will work without any problem since, as I wrote above, this scenario usually (99 %) works. Once I start Emby manually, there is no issue.

> does your nas have a fixed IP - and how did you set this up if so?

Yes. I have HS-251 which has 2 ethernets (2 x 1Gbps). Both are connected and both have static IP addresses, defined on my router using their MAC addresses.

> Have you done an changes to the default network setup on the nas

Nothing I am aware of...

> anything unusal about your setup other than the qnap - whats it connected to?

I have Emby (server) running on it. The only NAS service I am using is Samba (the other services are either turned off or I don't know about them :). And I have IPerf3 service there, to test the network speed (basically, not used anymore).

Clients are - 2 RPi4 boxes with LibreELEC and Kodi with Emby plugin. These are running 24/7. Then, 2 Emby Android applications are installed (phone + tablet) but they are not used often. Mainly to test whether I can connect to Emby or not.

> what emby clients are you using to connect/test the server after wake ?

Again, please note that once QNAP wakes up in the morning (~6 am), nothing connects to it on purpose. Usually, the first thing that connects to later is some Kodi with the Emby plugin (usually, my kids) and this works most of the time (99 %, see above). Maybe because NAS was not sleeping yet?

The problem usually happens during the day - I think that nothing is using NAS, so NAS "goes to sleep" (the green LED on it is turned off, the disks are not spinning). Once this happens, if I connect to NAS itself, it wakes up and everything - usually except Emby - is working (QNAP Web interface, QNAP Android app, Samba). I can see Emby in the Applications app as running but I cannot connect to it - I usually try the Android application Emby, it ends at the Welcome screen (the page with selection where to connect and how). I also tried my browser on my laptop a couple of times (connection refused if I remember it correctly) and Kodi also cannot play any movie, of course (maybe here could be something in the log file?). But I would expect that my Kodi instances with the Emby plugin are checking/syncing NAS regularly, perhaps? Not sure about it, of course (it would maybe prevent NAS going to sleep, hmm?), but once I manually restart Emby in NAS Applications app, after a while, I can see a notification in Kodi that Emby client is connected (not sure about exact wording) and everyhting works again.

Thanks a lot for your time!

One more note - not sure if it can be interesting/related for this thread but in my original thread, the problem was that Emby was preventing QNAP going "to sleep" during the day. Without Emby, once QNAP was not used, it went to sleep (the green LED was turned off) during the day once not used. NAS woke up once it was to be used again. Later on, I started to use Emby and this behaviour went away, NAS was running all the day even if not used (the green LED was turned on always during the day). The cause were 2 plugins - DLNA + PortMapper. Once I removed them, NAS started going "to sleep" during the day again but the problem from this thread appeared - I was not able to connect to Emby once NAS woke up again (again, I am talking here about the day, not about the morning once NAS is scheduled to be started). So, I installed back those 2 plugins so Emby worked OK the whole day again. But now, QNAP is able to sleep during the day even with them installed (which is great! But we have this problem now :).

PenkethBoy

Ok - so in summary your problem is resume from suspension - not putting the nAS to sleep overnight

PenkethBoy

ok thanks

@Luke - this is something you need to look at with the package dev - as however the qnap is suspending emby is causing issues on resume - as it appears to not comeback correctly

cant test a moment as my qnap is still in a box after my house move

• 2 weeks later...