convert while recording?

moshmont
Go to solution Solved by Sammy,

moshmont

Is it possible to record in a different format than the incoming stream and if so, how would I do that?  For instance if the incoming stream is HLS, can it be recorded as TS?  It seems that recording HLS takes up tons of disk space.  I have seen suggestions to change HLS to TS in the m3u url, but the url that I subscribe to does not have HLS in it.  It looks like https://xxx.xxxx/api/list/username/password. Is there a way to specify TS with a url like this?

Edited by moshmont

Sammy

I record in ts and compress to HEVC Stripping commercials in the process.

Edited by Sammy

• Solution
Sammy

Install MCEBuddy and have it monitor and convert your recordings then place the conversions into another folder monitored by Emby. This will not do it while recording but after the recording is done and MCEBuddy costs money up front. 

moshmont

Thanks @Sammy!  I downloaded the evaluation version of MCEBuddy and have figured out how to convert to the original directory and save the original video file off to NAS. I have also figured out how to do the same using Emby's Convert feature (other than moving the original video file) but I like some of MCEBuddy's additional features like removing commercials.  Thanks for the suggestion!!

• Like 2

For instance if the incoming stream is HLS, can it be recorded as TS?

Hi, yes Emby Server will already do this automatically, no need to use other software to handle it for you.

• 4 weeks later...
jlficken

@Luke

Can you expand on this.  I've tried exploring the Live TV section but can't seem to figure out how to do this.

I just got my HDHomeRun Quatro today and it's very cool so far.

Emby will always store any recording in TS format regardless of how it was transmitted.  TS (transport stream) is how Emby stores the files when recording. Emby may use HLS to send the TS stream to clients however but those are different things.

Once you have the TS recording you can use a util like MCEBuddy to cut commercial or you can convert the media to another format using h.264 or h.265 video using the built in convert feature https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849018-convert-media