Coniguration Synology 920+

TRN69

hello,

I’m about to buy a Synology 920+

I have a few questions:

- Is there interest in what I’m adding from RAM (going from 4GB to 8GB)

- same question on adding SSDs? (what capacity?)

- Will Emby take SSD capabilities well to do transcoding

For your information, I am on a 216Play with a non premieum version of Emby and this is very restrictive

thank's...

Armageus

RAM will make next to no difference on a Synology in terms of Emby performance - the RAM upgrade option is more for running Docker containers, or Virtual Machines.

You can add 2xNVMe SSDs in the M2 slots, however these cannot officially be configured as a storage volume (and so you cannot explicitly set Emby to use them) - they are intended to cache all data on the main storage volume. (there is an unofficial way of doing this via SSH into the Synology - but not something I was interested in)

You could add a Sata SSD into one of the drive bays, but then you would lose a drive bay and not be able to run in RAID1.

I've just bought a DS1520+ so currently have been looking at the same questions - however so far I haven't seen any noticeable performance issues using just a Hard drive array for Emby compared to my previous SSD based PC.

• Like 1

FrostByte

The 4K GPU in the geminilake models should make a difference from the 216play when transcoding.  You would need to upgrade to Premium though to take advantage of it.  I've been looking to upgrade myself just for that.  Been wondering the same thing about the nvme drives, etc though whether they are worth it

Edited by FrostByte