What OS are you using with emby for Kodi?

xnappo

What OS do you run XBMB3C on?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. What OS(s) are you running XBMB3C on?

Deihmos

This is from my experience and the Linux guys said that the Linux kernel did not support some of the haswell power savings. Not sure if that changed. Right now my desktop PC idles at just 7 watts with an i3 desktop cpu with C6 and C7 low power state enabled.

Edited by Deihmos

xnappo

Heh - meanwhile a Pi2 running OpenElec consumes 2W watching 1080p video and .4 watts idle :)

Deihmos

Yes but I can't use it as a server I can't use one to view cable TV because some channels are copy once. Other tvs use a celeron nuc with Windows.

Edited by Deihmos

xnappo

Oh agree there.  My server runs Windows/Ceton too :D

Edited by xnappo

dark_slayer

I use a windows server as well. I don't believe in copy once though, almost religiously lol

xnappo

Yeah, I pay for cable, but work around copy once.  That is a bunch of bull.  (TWC)

dark_slayer

With all there is to not like about Comcast, I feel fortunate to live in one of their service areas allowing us to avoid copy once. Though we aren't using any cable TV at the moment, but my wife assures me it will return in the future

im85288

Yes but I can't use it as a server I can't use one to view cable TV because some channels are copy once. Other tvs use a celeron nuc with Windows.

That's fair enough, but as a client it works very well. Maybe in the future there will be a package available to install the server as there is for Plex.

z0mbi

I run exclusively Windows, Kodi/emby on two machines (one server, one HTPC) because it's what I know, and what I had available to me. I actually (pre-media browser) tried to set up an XBMC HTPC using old parts and a copy of Linux and Linux just fried my brain. I can only equate it to playing FPS's your whole life in 'Standard' config, and then suddently switching to 'inverted', lol. I couldn't get it. Switched over to Win7 when I upgraded my main machine to Win8.1 and everything has been perfect since. Can't wait for Win10.

josh4trunks

Gonna chime in about my OS choices since others are, lol.

Fileserver, which runs Emby, is FreeNAS; HTPC is OpenELEC.

Every other device I have is also based on Linux/FreeBSD. Desktop runs Arch Linux, router is pfSense, wireless access point is DD-WRT, webserver is FreeBSD, phone is CyanogenMod. Modem / IP Camera / Pebble Watch run linux too, though I didn't install these myself.

What's the need for capture cards (live sports/local channels)? I have everything I watch automatically downloaded for my using SickRage/CouchPotato using usenet/torrents and never miss anything. One plus is that commercials are taken out for me. Live sports is a noticable downside of not having cable; there's the Sports Devil Kodi app which has live sports, but usually in crappy quality. If it's a major event (Paperview / Superbowl), reliable high quality torrent streams are usually available.

Pelon

I will show you an interesting picture. This is from an iPad.

I can say that I have tried the Kodi plugin on windows, for that matter I even tried it in a windows 10 computer, specially since I wanted to be sure that remote control would still work, specially since wmc is being discontinued. I also tried on an Amazon TV box, but that has not gone well, it is eating all of my storage space and I constantly get messages telling me that I need to delete some apps. I wish I could use the external storage space on the ftv to keep the Emby cache.

post-1347-0-57118400-1434424780_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
MrLinford

I have a Pivos XIOS DS so I am now running TOFU Linux.

Edited by MrLinford

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Tranquil

Initially I used a Windows 7 machine which worked fairly well. Had some problems here and there, mostly depending on performance and volume control.

I decided to give OpenElec a try. It worked out of the box. Just some settings here and there to fit my needs and everything was just fine.

Now, time arrived to get ready for UHD, so I decided to buy the Nvidia Shield Android TV device and I must say: wow! Easy setup, very fluid and no problems at all. I can also use my USB IR connector with an MCE Remote just out of the box.

Total recommendation from me for this KODI solution. (Also my girlfriend loves the smart small device) 

• 4 weeks later...
browned

Used to run 3 x Windows 7/8/8.1 PC's with WMC + Emby.

This year I have moved to

2 x Nvidia Shield TV with Kodi + Emby + Titan Skin

2 x Android Tablets with Kodi + Emby + Titan Skin

1 x Windows 10 PC, with Kodi + Emby + Titan Skin

Compared to what I had previously I consider the Nvidia Shield TV an all in one solution that matches perfectly with Kodi, my Emby server, and with NextPVR for Live TV. Add to that apps for Android TV, Android Games, Shield Hub and GeForce now game streaming all controlled by simple single remote or game controller. The Shield for me is far more advanced than a simple WMC PC.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 7 as Main PC.

3 x Amazon Fire TV Sticks with Firestarter+Kodi+Emby Installed. (Android)

Been really happy with the Fire TV Sticks so far considering they are under 50USD. Nice easy way to run Amazon Prime Content/Netflix/Hulu/BBC Iplayer etc alongside Kodi all from the one remote and device. With the added convenience of just unplugging the stick and taking it travelling when on holidays and being able to access all my Kodi content back home.

twistedLucidity

Yowzah. Didn't expect Linux to represent to highly @ 54.2%.

Where did that figure come from? Easy, Android is Linux. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
AmericanCrisis

Kodi on Android is by far the coolest thing I've encountered in a very long time.  I saw that Kodi was available on the play store and immediately went out an bought a Nexus Player.  I only wish that I didn't have to sideload the Emby plugin.  Also, wish Live TV was for sure going to happen... in the meantime I'll stick with HDHomerun View. 

xnappo

Now that Android is getting popular, we should look into getting the Repo installable via http - I see other popular repos do this..

@@Angelblue05 - take a look at this:

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-superrepo-kodi-easy-addon-installation/

If we can get a nice short url, we could install directly from the server instead of having to download on a PC, install ESFileExplorer etc.

• Like 2

Angelblue05

Now that Android is getting popular, we should look into getting the Repo installable via http - I see other popular repos do this..

@@Angelblue05 - take a look at this:

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-superrepo-kodi-easy-addon-installation/

If we can get a nice short url, we could install directly from the server instead of having to download on a PC, install ESFileExplorer etc.

Yes, good idea. Added to our trello board.