Libreelec Addon abandoned?

Wheemer

Wheemer

Hello;

I would really like to use Emby server on Libreelec like I was once doing a couple years ago. However I find the addons not working or outdated. 

Is there any plans on updating them or making them official?

Thanks

Steve

Wheemer

Hello;

I've installed the docker addon and for the most part it seems to be working well. However I would like to run the latest beta but it seems only 4.5.1.0 gets installed with either the standard image or the beta image.

Dockers just adds a level of security and complication that is just too complicated for me. Really wish the native addons were updated so I could just avoid docker all together.

What do you mean by "the docker addon" ? Do you mean that you install Docker and then use our official regular docker image? Or is it a specialized Docker image?

Wheemer

Hello;

It's the ones available through the addons interface within libreelec. Yes I installed the docker addon. Then the Emby server addon which has an option to upgrade to the beta. I think they are the official docker addons.

Everything seems to be working since it mapped my normal movies and tvshows folders. However the docker addon keeps reporting that it killed the emby process. I have for now disabled notifications since emby seems to be still working despite those messages.

Wheemer

The machine is now put into production so I can't bother it. So I'm not sure if those kill messages are still happening since I disabled the notification so as not to disturb the viewer.

embyserver.txt

Wheemer

Yeah I had thought the kill messages from docker were not real since the connection and stream remained working even during one of the notifications.

Wheemer

Got it all worked out and I have ditched docker!!! I am loving this.

Following this thread https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/21285-update-emby-server-to-latest-in-libreelec-repo/?pageNo=1

I now have 4.6.0.1 running on LibreELEC using the native Emby4 addon.

I did edit the script to change the version number in it to the latest one but I'm not even sure that was necessary.

Edited by Wheemer

Wheemer

Having to jump through hoops for the paths drives me crazy. The simple act of adding a third folder share becomes a mission. I just do not see the need to complicate things to that extent when it works without it. All the extra permissions are just crazy too. One of the reason I like LibreELEC is because the whole thing runs under root user.

Also Docker version lies and says beta when it only installs the stable like the other docker container. With this Emby4 addon I am now in beta land again.

Wheemer

OK I blew out the install after the update because the folders icon was not updating to a collage image. But even after that it still will not change from the default placeholder icons for the movies and tv shows folder. This was working in the docker version.

embyserver (1) (1).txt

You should use the docker version because this is going to be missing a lot of features. There's no solution for this right now other than we take over the packaging for this and do it ourselves.

Wheemer

Well if those feature involve transcoding or hardware level support then I will be ok. This is running on an old laptop and is setup for direct stream. I have disabled transcoding and hardware acceleration.

There's no image processing library added to this package. That means no thumbnails like you've noticed, but more importantly, that means Emby Server can't resize images to what the client apps request. This could cause very slow UI performance when browsing around, particularly on remote connections, or on slower devices that need smaller image sizes, such as Roku and smart tv's.

Wheemer

That seems to be a small sacrifice for my current scenario. it will only be serving localhost and one other coreelec android box.

I wish there was something I could do to fix it, but I did notice this same problem with the original emby4 addon before updating.

Wheemer

If there was a way for the docker image to actually update to the beta like it's labelled then I would probably go back... Is that possible to have it update properly?

Wheemer

Had to redo the setup on this machine since I went to a larger faster hard drive. Now the docker emby has successfully updated to the latest beta version without me having to do a thing.

Seems promising... Will begin to try and figure out how to map another share eventually. haha... Thanks again Luke.

Wheemer

OK I met my frustration limit today with the docker stuff on Libreelec. It all is just too much complication for something that should be simple. The added overhead of docker, image updater, portainer and then emby is just too much for older systems libreelec is supposed to be compatible with.

On boot up with the docker instance the whole system is frozen up and never seems to recover. I guess this is due to how long it takes for the docker version and all it's dependencies to load.

The native addon takes only moments to become available, making the user experience more tolerable.

Hopefully something can be done about the lack of image support.