HTTPS for remote access

DJX

Hi guys,

I've done lots of reading but still a little confused. Is anyone able to direct with setting up HTTPS so I can access emby from my Android when away from home?

I have a hostname, xxxxxx.ddns.net, which I can use instead of an IP to access my network from outside. This is configured in my router.

I want to enable HTTPS so I can connect to xxxxxx.ddns.net:8920 and then via a port forwarding entry, that should let me access emby.

Now, will that work or do I need to do something with a certificate? Because I also see a box for "External Domain" in Network, but I have no idea how that comes into play with my xxxxxx.ddns.net, if I was to paste it there? Will my method also be secure if its possible to work that way without certificate?

EDIT: No idea how to make the cert for my NOIP xxxxx.ddns.net Domain Name!?

Edited by DJX

I'd like to update this post incase it helps anyone else:

Requirement: I have a free ddns.net (NOIP) hostname and I wanted to enable remote connection to Emby via HTTPS using the xxxx.ddns.net hostname. This requires certificate to be used in Emby configuration.

Step 1: Opened up port 80/443 on my Synology NAS (firewall and router with port forwarding)

Step2: Used Control Panel in Synology to create a certificate using LetsEncrypt method.

Step3: Closed port 80/443

Step4: Downloaded the certificate from DSM and put in my relevant /volume1 directory.

Step5: Converted LetsEncrypt files to PKCS#12 for Emby using openssl command as here:

Step6: Did the relevant setup in Emby for remote connection and browsed for the PKCS#12 certificate (External domain as my xxxxx.ddns.net)

Step7: Did port forwarding in my router to point my custom port to Emby HTTPS defined port. Did relevant firewall entry in Synology to allow traffic using HTTPS port.

Step8: Did relevant User setup as per my requirements

Step9: Opened Android app and connected with https://xxxxx.ddns.net:[ForwardedPort]

Edited by DJX