Duplicating Library Paths for display reasons

CHA0SENG7NE

CHA0SENG7NE

Hi

I currently have a library for 4K movies and Movies (anything else)

This works well in my house but is it ok to add the 4k library path into my standard movies library so I can see 4k movies and movies media in one library?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

rbjtech

If like me (and I assume this to be the case for you as you have a separate library..) your 4K movies are in a different directory/disk - then you can't use the standard 'Multi-Version' to pick them up/permission them - so you needed to create a New Library for them

However, there is a neat solution courtesy of the AutoMovies plugin below :-

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63643-automatic-version-grouping-for-movies/

This groups all the movies - and it doesn't care about the location.

So it will pickup all the versions, and allow you to pick the one you want from the single library entry (based on permissions you set at the library level).

If I have have totally overthought this (highly likely lol) and you just have single versions of the 4K films, then yes - just add to the existing library as a new file location and they will show in the main library.  You'll need to delete the 4K library though or you'll get issues.

CHA0SENG7NE

Thanks.

I should explain more how I have it setup and I'm sure it's wrong.

I have a 4k library with 4k movies and a 1080p version in same folder so I can select which version to play.

I have my Movies library with all other movies in it.

So when I use emby on my shield I like to have separate library location eg.  TV shows, Movies, 4K Movies, Collections etc.

The way I have it setup I don't see 4k movies inside Movies header ( hope that makes sense)

If I try and use the plugin will this fix the issue?

Also you said about permissions.

Can you block remote users from seeing 4k movies?

@cayars

rbjtech
7 hours ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

Can you block remote users from seeing 4k movies?

Yes, just remove them from that library access - that is assuming they are using their own accounts.  If they are using a common account - then no.

If permissions are removed, then they don't see the option to play it in the first place - ie it only lists the 1080p version etc.

The 'Automatic grouping' plugin will fix the multi-versions across multi libraries.

So if I have a library with \nas\films in it and another 4K library with \nas\films 4K in it, then I would see both movies listed as options if browsing either library. (assuming I had permissions to do so - see above)

So if you have them in the SAME directory now - you cannot apply separate permissions, but if you split them into separate directories/libraries - then you can (but then combine them again with permission control via the Plugin ..)

This will go into the core code, but the Dev's haven't got around to it yet ...

Edited by rbjtech

CHA0SENG7NE

Ok that makes sense. Thanks. I found the permissions settings.

So I need to...

Move the 1080p versions from /Nas/4k movies to Nas/Movies. In their own folders.

Install the plugin (not sure how on my qnap to be honest, I have downloaded the zip file)

Then block my brother from playing 4k.

When I browse my library I can have to movies and movies in Emby app and the plugin will show both versions when I go to play one?

Hope that makes sense and correct?

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

Ok that makes sense. Thanks. I found the permissions settings.

So I need to...

Move the 1080p versions from /Nas/4k movies to Nas/Movies. In their own folders.

Install the plugin (not sure how on my qnap to be honest, I have downloaded the zip file)

Then block my brother from playing 4k.

When I browse my library I can have to movies and movies in Emby app and the plugin will show both versions when I go to play one?

Hope that makes sense and correct?

Correct - check the plugin works on your qnap first 😉 - I believe it does but can't guide you there I'm afraid.

CHA0SENG7NE

Excellent, I'll report back if I get it working. I'll try and find some info on installing.

Thanks for the guidance