No Longer Accessible Outside Home Network

sundevil67

sundevil67

I moved my Mac Mini running Emby Server to a new location for a couple of months this summer. Everything worked fine at the temporary location. I've returned home & set everything back up, and Emby is unavailable to any of my users outside my network. No changes have been made other than physically transporting the computer. They're getting server timeouts & just cannot connect. Is there any known issue that might cause this? I've looked in my router settings and just don't see anything different. Thanks for any guidance.

sundevil67

I looked around in my router settings and discovered the Emby 'service' was showing an incorrect IP address, which after correcting, seems to have resolved the problem. I'm not entirely sure how this works since I have a dynamic IP, or why/when it will change again, but don't really care as long as it works. Thanks!

sundevil67

On occasion I use one on my primary computer, a Macbook Pro, but just about never on the Mac Mini that runs Emby. I've already tested that use case thoroughly, and definitely couldn't get remote access working while the VPN was connected. I saw what was involved in getting that to work & decided not to bother.

Happy2Play

Without a vpn service that allows port forwarding you will not be able to get to your server through that vpn.  You could apply your true external ip in "External domain" (Dashboard-Network) but would have to manually update every time it changes if it actually does.  I know I have had the same external ip for years, but every provider will be different.