Suggestions on storing metadata locally vs mounted google drive

xd003

I have hosted my emby server on a vps and using rclone mount as my library . I am currently renaming and sorting all my content . Just had this very simple question 

I currently have 2 choices 

Either i can scrap all metadata directly in my google drive using tiny media manager or other tools and don't let emby fetch any metadata. So each TV show & Movie will have its own nfo , posters and everything in its respective drive folder itself . In short emby would read metadata individually for each folder 

The other option is i can not scrap any metadata externally . Just rename them properly following emby naming convention using any tool and while adding that library , let emby fetch all the metadata for it ( which i beleive it stores locally in /var/lib/emby/metadata )

So my main question is which option do you recommend me ? What would give better performance and quicker loading of metadata ? ( Locally or mounted drive )

On another note - Assuming i have metadata in my source itself , is there any option to ignore the metadata in source library - google drive ie the ones within individual movies and tv shows folder and force use the emby metadata fetched by emby itself ?

Edited by xd003

Deathsquirrel

Save it with the media.  Either way Emby is going to make local copies of that metadata for its cache.  If you save it with the media though, it can't be lost if the server were to be rebuilt in the future.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Save it with the media.  Either way Emby is going to make local copies of that metadata for its cache.  If you save it with the media though, it can't be lost if the server were to be rebuilt in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion

Although , just out of curiosity i did a performance comparison of both cases

At first , i created a library and choose the option to save all artwork and metadata in the media folder itself. Then i used it for some time and analysed the metadata loading speed .

Later i created a different library and had emby read the metadata directly from my vps . This time the folder images and metadata in general were loading comparatively faster .

I am not sure if its within the scope of emby to improve the metadata loading performance when reading originally from media and caching to make it as speedy as reading metadata directly from disk .

Hence currently i think , having emby to read the metadata directly from vps is a better option .As far a having a backup of metadata is concerned , i probably can just backup the /var/lib/emby/metadata folder and restore it later in future whenever i change or upgrade my server ( Correct me if i am wrong but I don't see a reason for emby to not detect metadata when restored backup directly in /var/lib/emby/metadata folder )

Edited by xd003

Happy2Play

Yes there are pros and cons either way, each setup will have different benefits.  But if you do not care about hammering providers sites if you ever have to rebuild your server or library, then don't save with media.  The server also clears its cache of everything older then 30 days old via a hidden daily scheduled task.  There are other topics suggesting better performance with centralized images though.

8 hours ago, xd003 said:

Hence currently i think , having emby to read the metadata directly from vps is a better option .As far a having a backup of metadata is concerned , i probably can just backup the /var/lib/emby/metadata folder and restore it later in future whenever i change or upgrade my server ( Correct me if i am wrong but I don't see a reason for emby to not detect metadata when restored backup directly in /var/lib/emby/metadata folder )

Note without the original database the metadata folder is a useless backup.  So you would need /data and /metadata but ideally the entire programdata folder.

If using Google Drive I would NOT store the data with media simply because of the extra usage and scanning that's going to take place and trigger timeouts quicker on Google.

Having the graphics and metadata local to the server is also going to be a lot faster as well.

• 2 weeks later...
adminExitium
On 04/10/2020 at 02:12, Happy2Play said:

There are other topics suggesting better performance with centralized images though.

Any specific topics that you could link to?

Happy2Play

There isn't anything specific to say gdrive but more about drive spin ups on NAS devices as the primary issues.  From a rebuild point it is away better with media.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45630-centralizing-meta-data

But in the end cloud based would benefit for centralized metadata as cayars mentioned.

• Like 1