LiveTV on Roku

moviefan

krustyreturns

@@moviefan,

I'm confused, in the serverwmc log you posted there is a call to open a live stream, it starts here:

2014/07/30 07:36:18.358 OpenLiveStream> -----------------start------------------------

It looks like the stream started fine, at least as far as serverwmc shows.  Almost immediately though MBS closed it.

im85288

@@im85288 are you able to help with client side debug at all?

No sorry, I do not have Live TV setup so would not know where to start. Luke will be able to make more sense of it than me though.

moviefan

No sorry, I do not have Live TV setup so would not know where to start. Luke will be able to make more sense of it than me though.

Is there any method you have of generating logs of what is happening on the client side?  The problem seems to be that the server is not even seeing the request to stream the video so @@Luke doesn't have any logs to analyze.  

moviefan

@@moviefan,

I'm confused, in the serverwmc log you posted there is a call to open a live stream, it starts here:

2014/07/30 07:36:18.358 OpenLiveStream> -----------------start------------------------

It looks like the stream started fine, at least as far as serverwmc shows.  Almost immediately though MBS closed it.

@@krustyreturns

The stream you are seeing started is the one I started via the browser.  That started playing fine and I stopped it.  I was just trying to show what happens when it is working so I could contrast that with when it isn't working.

I am not seeing any logs generated on the SeverWMC side when trying to play via Roku.

Edited by moviefan

moviefan

is this the official roku app or the media centre app?

I was using the official Roku app this whole time.

I installed the MB Media Centre app today though and just tried playing LiveTV on it.  Each time I select Live TV Recordings this app completely crashes and returns to the Roku home screen.

Log attached if helpful; but looking at it, looks like things appear mostly normal on the server side.  The client is just crashing.

One thing I do notice though that seems a bit weird is that the final response time before the crash is 200+ms which seems like a lot.

The one time I was able to make the official Roku app crash yesterday and obtain logs I noticed similar behavior around the crash with extremely slow response times.  Pretty sure that some of them were even over 1000ms (1s) so possibly Roku is just not handling the delays very well leading to the crashes.  Still doesn't explain the blank gray screen behavior I get with the official app most of the time but possibly at least the case yesterday when I got the official app to say retrieving and these crashes with media centre are related.

Is it normal for the server to take so long to respond to requests?

if you go to the first post of this thread and to the github page, it tells you how to debug the device via telnet. that's basically what i would need to see right now because i haven't seen this reported by anyone else so i'm not really sure what the issue is. the client is trying to direct stream the live tv feed which is why there is no transcode request. but that's not supported, and it's not obvious to me what conditions are causing it to try and do that.

moviefan

Not that I'm trying to interrupt but how did ya get the channel? From the beta link in the roku forum or downloading it on the roku? I had issues with live tv from the old official app before @@Luke and the team started creating a new one.

Here's the link: https://owner.roku.c...ediaBrowserBeta

Don't worry about interrupting.  Any and all assistance appreciated.

Initially I installed from the Beta link in the forum.  I didn't know I could download it directly to Roku since it was in Beta.

I've also installed MBC Media Centre that way.

And then today I installed from the Zip file using the developer mode so I would be able to generate the logs.

How did you install it?  That link you posted isn't working.

mediacowboy

Don't download from inside the roku yet. It was handle by another team just thought I would check

Edited by mediacowboy

krustyreturns

@@krustyreturns

The stream you are seeing started is the one I started via the browser.  That started playing fine and I stopped it.  I was just trying to show what happens when it is working so I could contrast that with when it isn't working.

I am not seeing any logs generated on the SeverWMC side when trying to play via Roku.

I get it now, thanks for explaining.

moviefan

Don't download from inside the roku yet. It was handle by another team just thought I would check

Oh that is interesting.  After reading your previous post I just did a test and deleted all three apps that I had installed.  Then I reinstalled MediaBrowser from the regular Roku portal and I was able to find it fine.  Unfortunately it still had the same behavior when trying to play LiveTV.

For right now think I will just work on the developer version since it provides logs until we can sort this part out.

moviefan

if you go to the first post of this thread and to the github page, it tells you how to debug the device via telnet. that's basically what i would need to see right now because i haven't seen this reported by anyone else so i'm not really sure what the issue is. the client is trying to direct stream the live tv feed which is why there is no transcode request. but that's not supported, and it's not obvious to me what conditions are causing it to try and do that.

Okay I installed the developer application this morning and have collected debugs from the client side.

For this test I just restarted both ServerWMC and MBS.  Then went to Roku, opened MBS, went down to LiveTV, over to a channel, and clicked OK.  Received typical blank screen with channel bar at the top that I have been seeing...

53da884fb0407_IMG_0865.jpg

Just to show it again I then backed out to the main tab and selected another channel.  I break it up in the log below where that happened.

Here is the log from the client side:

------ Running ------
Anamorphic support: true
Server.info: listening on 0.0.0.0:8324
Creating server data cache
Found string in the registry: {"b87b5efb-aa2e-24d6-6b1c-af60621cba57":{"mac":"00-50-56-86-6B-EC"}}
Parsed as: roAssociativeArray
Connecting To Server
Pushing screen 1 onto view controller stack - Home
Loading beginning of row 0, Movies
Loading beginning of row 1, TV
Total initial grid load took: 11ms
Count loaded is now 10 out of 26
Loaded 10 elements in row 1, now have 26
Count loaded is now 8 out of 8
Loaded 8 elements in row 2, now have 8
Count loaded is now 23 out of 23
Loaded 23 elements in row 0, now have 23
Received paginated response for index 10 of list with length 26
Count loaded is now 26 out of 26
Loaded 16 elements in row 1, now have 26
Count loaded is now 1 out of 1
Loaded 1 elements in row 3, now have 1
Count loaded is now 6 out of 6
Loaded 6 elements in row 4, now have 6
Entered CreateScreenForItem
Pushing screen 2 onto view controller stack - TvChannel 57aebd1fdbe5510fba55b606c60951ee
Connection[87031835].info: accepted connection @172.27.72.22:49781
Request[2].info: POST '/mediabrowser/message/Ping'
Reply[30].info: Sent 164 [0-163/164]
Reply[30].info: source buf is empty
Reply[30].info: Sent-1 [0--2/0]
Connection[87031835].info: send reply peer closed @172.27.72.22:49781

Popping screen 2 and cleaning up 2 breadcrumbs
Top of stack is once again: Home
Received paginated response for index 0 of list with length 8
Count loaded is now 8 out of 8
Loaded 8 elements in row 2, now have 8
Received paginated response for index 0 of list with length 1
Count loaded is now 1 out of 1
Loaded 1 elements in row 3, now have 1
Received paginated response for index 0 of list with length 6
Count loaded is now 6 out of 6
Loaded 6 elements in row 4, now have 6
Received paginated response for index 0 of list with length 26
Count loaded is now 26 out of 28
Loaded 28 elements in row 1, now have 28
Received paginated response for index 0 of list with length 23
Count loaded is now 23 out of 23
Loaded 23 elements in row 0, now have 23
Received paginated response for index 26 of list with length 28
Count loaded is now 26 out of 26
Loaded 0 elements in row 1, now have 26
Entered CreateScreenForItem
Pushing screen 3 onto view controller stack - TvChannel 78ab06fc7192f614a8348b6aa270d8e5
Connection[87031848].info: accepted connection @172.27.72.22:49810
Request[15].info: POST '/mediabrowser/message/Ping'
Reply[43].info: Sent 164 [0-163/164]
Reply[43].info: source buf is empty
Reply[43].info: Sent-1 [0--2/0]
Connection[87031848].info: send reply peer closed @172.27.72.22:49810

I have also attached the log from the server side.
Edited by moviefan

mediacowboy

Not that I'm trying to interrupt but how did ya get the channel? From the beta link in the roku forum or downloading it on the roku? I had issues with live tv from the old official app before @@Luke and the team started creating a new one.

Here's the link: https://owner.roku.c...ediaBrowserBeta

Edited by mediacowboy