View Music Videos When Browsing Artists In The Music Library

skidmarks

skidmarks

I've been wanting to see music videos when viewing artists in the music library for quite some time.  Tried the Music Video plug-in a while ago.  It was a train wreck.  Mostly because i do not have my music video library structure set up the correct way for it.  Emby: "To add music videos, setup a library with the type "Music Videos". The naming conventions for music videos are identical to movies."  Translation to me means:  One video per folder.  With PLEX its one artist and then ALL videos in same folder for said artist.  Easy!  So with my folder structure being set up Artist/music videos the plug-in failed MISERABLY!

IF your music library is set up like mine:  Artist/Artist Music Videos i found how to quickly fix the metadata to allow emby to recognize and add the music videos to the correct artist when viewing artists in the music library.  At the end of the day i don't care what record, what year, or any of that other information about said music videos.  I just want to see what i have while browsing in the Music section.  

I realized that "all" you need to do is add the "Artist" tag to the music video.  Now that sounds simple enough (depending on how big your music video library is), but the meta editor in emby server (as we all know) is not capable of bulk renaming / editing.  

I found a program called  "TagScanner".  With this nifty little gem i was able to add the %artist% tag to all my music videos by using the %Foldername%!  

1912149144_renamemusicvideos.thumb.JPG.46df8ee7966f2d815f02bbd4658deaca.JPG 

I did my entire library in about 45 minutes.  Depending on how big the library is, i got the "This Application Is Not responding" message.  But it was working and finished the task at hand without issues.  I would suggest NOT having emby running while you are doing this.  It will want to read the changes as they are happening.

And as always re-scan your library when you are finished.

Anyway, if all you want to do is see music videos displayed with the artist in the music library... this may be for you.

Edited by skidmarks

skidmarks

And... Disappointment Settles In!

Apparently this does not work for the majority of the ways i can view emby...

Works:  Home Page of the Dashboard / Android Phone App

Does Not Work:  Theater / Roku / Android TV App

PenkethBoy

FYI - you could have also used mp3tag to tag your mv's with an artist tag for mp4/mkv's

I spent a long time setting up my MV with Emby - figuring out what worked and what did not - cant remember why the artist/bucket of MV's was problematic now as over a yer ago.

1 i added tags for artist/artists/albumartist so emby had three chances to get it correct

2. i put each mv in its own folder below the artist - so emby will use the mv folder name as it does for Movies - a basic script can do this sort of thing

3. enabled IMVDB plugin and disabed the moviedb plugin for MV's (get rubbish mostly)

4. Made sure the name of the music video was accurate as i could get it - see 5

5 as IMVDB is queired via the name of the video (by emby) it can be very hit and miss what you get back - as IMVDB always appears to return something even if it rubbish. There is an outstading bug with Luke to fix adding the artist name to mv name in the lookup to IMVDB - which is a db version specific issue as brand new db's appear to work ok. Hiit rate would be higher this way but was only corrected at the end of the last beta round.

6 My result was approx 60% accurate match - i had to correct the imvdb id or remove it completely manually for the rest - PIA - but only have to do it once

As for viewing web app/ATV - no issues for me all MV's for an artist show up - either in the music artist home page or via the Artist folder in MV library and all artists are shown on the video page for MV's. Not tried theater (horrible app) and dont have a roku.

Maybe you need to show what the issues are as "does not work" does not give us much to go on.

Question if you are only interested in the artist for a MV - have you removed the IMVDB plugin as you would not need it - as the tag for artist appear to be  all you want?

skidmarks
7 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

FYI - you could have also used mp3tag to tag your mv's with an artist tag for mp4/mkv's

I spent a long time setting up my MV with Emby - figuring out what worked and what did not - cant remember why the artist/bucket of MV's was problematic now as over a yer ago.

1 i added tags for artist/artists/albumartist so emby had three chances to get it correct

2. i put each mv in its own folder below the artist - so emby will use the mv folder name as it does for Movies - a basic script can do this sort of thing

3. enabled IMVDB plugin and disabed the moviedb plugin for MV's (get rubbish mostly)

4. Made sure the name of the music video was accurate as i could get it - see 5

5 as IMVDB is queired via the name of the video (by emby) it can be very hit and miss what you get back - as IMVDB always appears to return something even if it rubbish. There is an outstading bug with Luke to fix adding the artist name to mv name in the lookup to IMVDB - which is a db version specific issue as brand new db's appear to work ok. Hiit rate would be higher this way but was only corrected at the end of the last beta round.

6 My result was approx 60% accurate match - i had to correct the imvdb id or remove it completely manually for the rest - PIA - but only have to do it once

As for viewing web app/ATV - no issues for me all MV's for an artist show up - either in the music artist home page or via the Artist folder in MV library and all artists are shown on the video page for MV's. Not tried theater (horrible app) and dont have a roku.

Maybe you need to show what the issues are as "does not work" does not give us much to go on.

Question if you are only interested in the artist for a MV - have you removed the IMVDB plugin as you would not need it - as the tag for artist appear to be  all you want?

Does Not Work = Music Videos do not show up under artist when browsing in the Music Library.  Strange that this does work in the Android mobile and in the Dashboard home page.

I was happy that i found a way to bulk add metadata (in this case the %artist% tag from the %foldername%).  Having 1000's of artist folders in my music video library and then all the files within them... i wasn't ready to do this manually.  I just want to see the music videos with the music artist. 

I tried mp3tag a year or so ago to accomplish this, but cant recall why that didn't work out easily as i would have hoped.

I'm just going to guess that the apps that it doesn't work in are because they aren't written to do so and it is just dumb luck that the two do (that i have access to).

I walk the walk of shame and will at some point stop looking for a work around and set it all up so its "emby friendly"

Edited by skidmarks

PenkethBoy

Once i get my emby server back up and running in the next couple of days (just moved) i will double check my setup

But as you have MV with Artists in web app etc but not others - that would suggest its a missing feature in those apps

Web app only got MV with Artist back at the very end of the beta cycle so if you want others to work you will need to badger @Luke or @ebr

==========

For info should you have a few weird ones

I had an issue with a couple of artists that did not show their MV - the artist names for music and MV were the same in emby had same mbz id's but in music no MV's and clicking on artist name in MV library showed no music.

Searching for the artist brough up two entries which had dfferent emby db ids

Checking the Artist folder names - showed they were the same i.e. MusicVideos\Artist and Music\Artist - had artist spelt the same - i even set the case the same even though on windows

No joy

What it turned out to be was i had use an and instead of a & in the metadata of the MV file for Atrist/Artists/AlbumArtist- once i corrected that i thought it would fix its self - BUT - you still have to remove the MV artist folder - and do the dance of lib scan - check MV artist gone from emby - then add back and bingo one artist with MV's showing.

Not something the average user is going to find

Its a bug i have  not reported yet as busy moving etc as dont quite have a repeatable tasted method to reproduce reliably

======

It sounds like you have a working solution so having mv folders per video is optional - as i think it should be - i prefer the sub folders myself - but having two ways gives people an option as lots wont want subfolders. So i dont think you need to change anything unless you find new issues we have not covered.

So have fun actually playing them not fiddling with them! :)

• Thanks 1

skidmarks

@Luke@ebr@speechles

Would like to hear if this feature is included in theater and the roku app?  So i can feel confident that what i did was a valid fix and just not implemented in these two.

As this works in the web app and in the android phone app it would lead me to believe it just isn't a feature written into these (theater and roku)?

skidmarks
47 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you show screenshot comparisons? thanks.

Server Dashboard -> Home Screen -> Music -> Artist

Capture1.thumb.JPG.5edc4d5f00da949c212b4647048827d9.JPG

Android Phone -> Music -> Artist

Screenshot_20201005-122611_Emby.thumb.jpg.3cfb59471323b136059fddf3c2d27c85.jpg

Theater -> Music -> Artist

theater.thumb.JPG.ce6df98741396347dee65f53bd517a43.JPG

Roku -> Music -> Artist

20201005_124800.thumb.jpg.b3cfdb2f20abc24056e9115c4c824f03.jpg

Don't have access to my android tv right this second, and haven't checked to see what it displays...

Edited by skidmarks
Image resize

@skidmarks Apologies this isn't already in the app. You are correct. The missing music video row on music artist detail view will be corrected. Thank you for bring it to our attention. Please keep them coming. Any inconsistency we want to try to squash. Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

skidmarks
1 hour ago, speechles said:

@skidmarks Apologies this isn't already in the app. You are correct. The missing music video row on music artist detail view will be corrected. Thank you for bring it to our attention. Please keep them coming. Any inconsistency we want to try to squash. Thanks again.

I was more interested in knowing if my fix (for those of us with a "non compliant") music video collection was good or not.  I can regain my confidence with your reply that it is a valid work around!

Thanks, stay safe!

skidmarks

Just a quick follow up...  Had an opportunity to get on the 4K to check Android TV app...

It does not display music videos while browsing music by artist either.

skidmarks
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Are you sure? They really should be the same. How does the online web app compare?

http://app.emby.media

Capture1.thumb.JPG.0f532c2468eb65bc9ced76b843112d06.JPG

I've given you pictures...  So, yah, i'm pretty sure.

Edited by skidmarks

skidmarks
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you try it again? Thanks.

What would you like me to try again?  Checked for any differences in the different ways i can.  Nothing has changed in the outcomes...  @speechles has already said that it was an oversight on the part of the roku app.  Trust they will get it added.  As for the others?  Realize this is my work around and possibly why you expect it to work when it doesn't?

Works:  Web App / Android Phone App / Dashboard Home

Does not show music videos when browsing by artist:  Roku (but fix is coming) / Theater / XBOX / Android TV

Edited by skidmarks

@skidmarks The Roku will get this. It is already in the pipeline. It is already committed. Once the next release cycle for the Roku Beta comes it will get sucked in. Other things will get sucked in at that same time. Consistency. If this were a major bug or some show stopper a "special bugfix" release would be issued rather than wait for the regular store/beta release cycles.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

skidmarks
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try the xbox again? Thanks.

4.6.0.2  Does in fact show music videos when browsing by music -> artist