Continue listening for music

dv1r

It would be nice if a user's stream was continuous between devices . 

Example:

If I am listening to music on my phone then I log into the web UI, my stream would move to the web UI.

Then if I close the web UI and later in the day I open the app on my phone again, the same stream would continue. 

Same concept with videos... 

:) 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

Happy2Play

Isn't that pretty much what Continue Watching/Continue Listening does?

Thanks for your replay :) 

Well, I forgot about continue watching. So I guess videos are covered. 

I don't have a "Continue Listening" option on music. Only on audiobooks. 

Am I simply missing it or does it need to be enabled? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is really very frustrating that every time you close the app you need to start a new playlist/album/mix.

Even more frustrating is that you need to restart the app every time you change network (WiFi-> cellular/cellular ->WiFi).

For me, the dream is to have a "single stream" for my user and it will always be in the same state wherever is connect.

Just like Spotify but for the whole system. 

If I start an album on my phone, and then log into the system on my computer it will either move the stream to the computer or control the stream on the phone. 

Same with video. 

Hope we get this feature at some point :) 

• Like 3

Absolutely need Continue Listening for Music. The "Spotify Connect" service is the idea to go after. 

• Like 1

embedded

It would be fine, if continue listening has any sense.

For me it does not work with music or audio books.

In movie-section movie are shown, which I begin watching, on all my device. A movie seen on PC I can continue with my mobile device.

For me it is more interesting for all the other stuff.

Is there anywhere a setting, which I did not find?

For me it does not work with music or audio books.

Hi, there is currently no continue listening for music. For audio books, there is. If you're having an issue, we're happy to help:

Thanks !

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 6:45 AM, Luke said:

Continue Listening is only for the audio books content type.

I have been trying to listen to an audiobook via emby these past few days and I must say that the "continue listening" does not work. 

My book is made up of multiple MP3 files. 

Continue listening does not resume the play queue.

So if I am at the middle of part 2, stop and continue listening another time it will finish part 2 and stop. 

I have to manually load part 3 (impossible while driving) 

In addition to that, It never accurately resumes at the same spot. 

I found myself listening to the same 30 minutes of part 2 a few times. 

Feels like this feature was added just to say it exists, but the functionality was never polished. 😔

I know this is far from the right place to post this but I was just going over this thread and saw the comment. :) 

Hi.  The inability to resume playlists (or multi-file audiobooks which are basically the same thing) is a known (and well-discussed out here :)) limitation at this time.  If you can get your book into a single file then this functionality will work much better for you until we can get multi-item resume functionality.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
DarrenClimie-Newman

Hi Guys.

This is a must for me, as a lot of the music I listen to are mixes, so can he an hour or more in length.

Listening to 15-20mins and then having to remember where I stopped is frustrating 

Is this continue listening to music a feature in the roadmap? I would assume its not a difficult feature to enable, as its already there for movie, TV and audio books?

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would love it if the album I was playing on the way to work in the morning was ready to pick up right where I left off on the way home.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, roaku said:

I would love it if the album I was playing on the way to work in the morning was ready to pick up right where I left off on the way home.

Shouldn't that already be the case if you don't close the app?

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Shouldn't that already be the case if you don't close the app?

I assume it's Android doing it, but for me, the app never makes it more than a couple of hours before it closes all on it own.

Ok. I do think its probably a good idea to make your last audio play queue available at any time. I guess basically make it persistent so your last play queue is just always there where you left it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

DarrenClimie-Newman

Why should we never close an app, just for this functionality?! So you're suggesting that we can never let our devices run out of battery?!

Edited by DarrenClimie-Newman

3 hours ago, roaku said:

Totally agree, we should be able to restore the previous play queue on any device (specific to that device), regardless of the music/audio books distinction.

We've actually already done the work for this in some apps, however it's only used in certain contexts (android auto, carplay, etc). So I'll put this on the short term to do list to apply it everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Totally agree, we should be able to restore the previous play queue on any device (specific to that device), regardless of the music/audio books distinction.

We've actually already done the work for this in some apps, however it's only used in certain contexts (android auto, carplay, etc). So I'll put this on the short term to do list to apply it everywhere.

Fantastic. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

DarrenClimie-Newman
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

Great thanks! Will be a great feature improvement for Emby!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
Mnejing

Year old necro, but I'd really like this as well.

I really appreciate being able to swap devices and continue watching whatever movie or TV episode I was on. But I also have a fairly large collection of long MP3s (be they live concerts or downloaded podcasts), and I'd like to be able to continue listening to them across devices as well. I listen to podcasts in my car, but not being able to pick them up where I left off on my PC later is annoying, doubly so when the app goes to sleep and completely loses it.

I was under the impression this was going to be short listed a year ago, but that hasn't been the case. I just want to be able to continue listening across devices :(

• Like 4