Android/ChromeOS privacy

xe`

I understand that Emby is inherently private and the developers are on record saying that is by design (and I applaud them for this) but I have a question about the underlying OS when using the Android Mobile application.

If we assume a pure Android or ChromeOS device do we know what Google can see in terms of your user details, content and viewing habits?

In the interests of clarity we should exclude any android TVs from this debate as we know smart TV firmware inherently track your viewing habits and content via ACR.

I appreciate that the Google ecosystem is not open so no definitive statement is possible so this is a request for what is known/assumed only.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, when using the emby app I doubt they see very much, but if course I can't be sure. I would review the Android privacy policy.

• 1 month later...

Closing this one down an unanswerable. I have discussed this extensively with various projects and googled a reasonable amount and I cannot find enough information to make any firm conclusions.

It is likely safe to assume Google can see filenames but a less paranoid assumption that they are doing Automatic Content Recognition (which based on my reading it would appear a terrifying amount of modern TV sets and "discount" advert revenue driven commercial media player do e.g. Roku.)