Any plans for external streaming services support?

artatgray

artatgray

Hi Emby, 

Are there any plans to support external streaming services via plug-ins coming to Emby. I'm aware that Plex offers these, and I think it would be a boon for us as well. We've got TuneIn for Internet Radio, which is great. But what about Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, YouTube Music or Apple Music? 🤔 

Perhaps one of our more accomplished developers could whip something up. 

Kind regards, 

Bill 

Gilgamesh_48

I really hope not. Emby is a service for streaming local media and streaming external media is a very different can of worms. Plex was a good streaming service but they pretty much ruined themselves, for me at least, by trying to be everything for everybody. 

Emby really needs to not try to expand their functionality to other duties beyond what they already do. They just need to refine and stabilize what they have.

While it is surely possible to add external streaming to Emby every time a system like Emby grows it increases the number of failure points and it becomes harder to fully debug the product. 

Whenever a system like Emby wants to grow the question gets asked "can we do that?" But the real question that should get asked is "should we do that." In this case I believe the answer is no, we should NOT do that.

• Like 6

artatgray

I wasn't opening this up for a debate or the opinions of non-developers. Perhaps I'll move this to "feature requests" to avoid such noise. 

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, artatgray said:

Perhaps I'll move this to "feature requests" to avoid such noise.

There are several feature requests (may duplicates) already in the Feature Requests section for this.  But it will more then likely come down to someone else beside the Emby devs to develop and maintain these plugins.

Gilgamesh_48
46 minutes ago, artatgray said:

I wasn't opening this up for a debate or the opinions of non-developers. Perhaps I'll move this to "feature requests" to avoid such noise. 

I see. It is OK for you to request something and say it is a good idea but others are not allowed to express contrary opinions. That is not how forums work and I will express my opinions on suggestions as I see fit. Of course you are free to express yours as well. If either of us get out of hand I am sure some moderator will step in and say so.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 4

These usually involve so many interstitial commercials that you would go crazy. The free streams like PlutoTV are chock full of advertising and drive you insane. We will be right back. Then another  that says we will be right back. Right back to what? Another commercial...

The other guys must show more advertising than the normal application(or TV) would. They purposely shovel more advertising at you. You are the product. They are marketing you. You are a number and the more advertising you watch you are the product. They are selling your eyeballs to the companies that make this advertising.

Doing what the other guys did will only make this become more pervasive and problematic. Be glad Emby isn't doing that. Jump for joy and shout it from the roof tops.

It is a dark road once you start down that path. You can hear the wolves howling in the distance but cannot see them yet. That is advertising. You don't know it is a problem until every 30 minutes is 15 minutes worth of commercials and 15 minutes of program. Once it gets there, maybe it can be 75% commercials and 25% program. Would you like that? That could possibly mean HBOMAX is free. You(the product) just need to sit through 4 hours of commercials to watch 1 hour of programming. Would you do that? The other guys are betting you would. That is why they want control of your users on your server. Your users are the product. You are the product.

Also.. a thread is not property of the OP. The Emby LLC owns your comments. They are no longer yours. You gave up those rights the moment you posted. Try to be nice. We are here to help you. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I won't re-hash why many here think it's a bad idea, but it's a primary reason that many moved from Plex to Emby.

With that said, I think a much better solution is to not use Emby as your media hub.  Instead, find a piece of hardware that has a software interface that you like.  Android TV, Roku, or even Apple, and build your experience around that.  Instead of having a bunch of apps/streams in Emby, you can have a bunch of apps/streams within that platform, one of which will be Emby.

As the person who runs the service for my family, I don't want to support all those apps.  I'll recommend the exact same thing to everyone that uses my instance. I have users on all three of the platforms listed, and then it's Emby-agnostic if that's such a thing.

rbjtech

Says it all really - I don't want to see any 3rd party streams - if I did, then I'd use another app.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Shidapu

Yeah, i don't want any more external resources implemented to emby. I even want the picture upload feature to be removed. Got tons of private pictures from people i hardly know. XD 

If you want external services, i'd do what @rbjtech just said.

Edited by Shidapu
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
amateurgod
On 01/10/2020 at 01:52, artatgray said:

Hi Emby, 

Are there any plans to support external streaming services via plug-ins coming to Emby. I'm aware that Plex offers these, and I think it would be a boon for us as well. We've got TuneIn for Internet Radio, which is great. But what about Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, YouTube Music or Apple Music? 🤔 

Perhaps one of our more accomplished developers could whip something up. 

Kind regards, 

Bill 

I know this post is a little old but if you use tidal or qobuz have a look at Roon, I use roon core to mix my local media with media from qobuz (my streaming service) so that exclusive tracks I have that were limited edition etc and aren't available on streaming services are available on any of my devices and can be put in a playlist with tracks I don't have that I use streaming services like qobuz for 

micindev

I would love to have tidal integration via plugin! I think its a great idea, if someone dont like external streaming service, just ignore that plugin, dont understand why ppl are against implementation...

Roon - well, I've been there, gui is terrible on smartphone screen and I really prefer one media server running on my NAS. Btw roon loves powerful cpu and robust network as it sends audio stream over network and doesnt support dlna on top... after a year i went back to LMS as its lightweight and works as good as roon minus metadata