ATMOS On 2020 Sony Android TV

Nyder

Hi, 

I recently upgraded to Emby Premier so I could stream 4k/HDR/ATMOS to my Sony Android TV.
The TV is hooked up to a sound bar via EARC  which Supports both EARC/4K passthrough and DTS-HD/Atmos/DTSX etc.

I have all the pass through settings enabled in the app and on the tv.

When I play a file which normally displays ATMOS on my soundbar when I play from HTPC  I only seem to be getting TRUEHD 7.1 via the Emby for android tv app.

Is ATMOS supported for Emby for android tv? is there a server setting I need to enable?

Nyd

Atmos is supported if all of the hardware supports it.  I just tested this myself recently.

Why do you say you "only seem to be getting"?

45 minutes ago, ebr said:

Atmos is supported if all of the hardware supports it.  I just tested this myself recently.

Why do you say you "only seem to be getting"?

Figured it out, Sony apps don't support lossless audio, everything works via Emby theatre for Windows

Thanks,

Nyd

Edited by Nyder

Dariusz
On 9/30/2020 at 6:45 PM, Nyder said:

Hi, 

I recently upgraded to Emby Premier so I could stream 4k/HDR/ATMOS to my Sony Android TV.
The TV is hooked up to a sound bar via EARC  which Supports both EARC/4K passthrough and DTS-HD/Atmos/DTSX etc.

I have all the pass through settings enabled in the app and on the tv.

When I play a file which normally displays ATMOS on my soundbar when I play from HTPC  I only seem to be getting TRUEHD 7.1 via the Emby for android tv app.

Is ATMOS supported for Emby for android tv? is there a server setting I need to enable?

Nyd

which sony TV do you have?  I believe sony will release a firmware update in near future for 2020 TVs which enables eARC on the ports as well as HDMI 2.1, until then, these TVs should only be passing ARC and HDMI 2.0.. so ARC will not pass uncompressed signals until then to my knowledge.. 

I have a Sony A8H.
It already does support EARC, and it works fine.

Sony Smart TV Apps don't pass lossless audio via passthrough/EARC or otherwise.
Since my source file was ATMOS-TRUEHD=Lossless it didn't get passed by the Emby for android TV app.

When I use Emby Theater on windows 10, the Lossless audio passes through just fine via EARC and I got Dolby Atmos.

Apparently issue is on all smart TV's LG etc.  So solution is use Home Theater PC or Nvidia Shield, or other dedicated media streaming device.

Nyd

Correct.  The only Android device I'm aware of that will pass TrueHD or DTS-HD is the Shield.