New Chromecast

Sammy

arche
21 minutes ago, troyhough said:

so no issues with 1080P HEVC files, but run into problems with high bitrate HEVC?

Yup, that's what it looks like so far.

• Like 1

troyhough
Just now, arche said:

Yup, that's what it looks like so far.

Does your TV support the video settings you have selected in the Ccast video options? Have the proper HDMI cable? Plugged in a HDMI port that works with these high bitrates?

arche
3 minutes ago, troyhough said:

Does your TV support the video settings you have selected in the Ccast video options? Have the proper HDMI cable? Plugged in a HDMI port that works with these high bitrates?

The Chromecast auto selected 1080p during the setup, I have the Chromecast plugged in directly with it's out HDMI doggle. I'm going to have to find the specs on this TV now, lol. Now you're going to make me buy a new TV, lol.

arche

Side note though, these files (1080p HEVC/2160p HEVC) did work through the 4k firestick on the same TV.

32 minutes ago, troyhough said:

so no issues with 1080P HEVC files, but run into problems with high bitrate HEVC?

18Mb isn't that high.  I suspect it is the 10bit that it is struggling with.  If it isn't transcoding, though, then the device must be reporting it supports that.

• Like 1

One2Go
4 hours ago, troyhough said:

Looks good. Don't forget that there should be an option to "disable" the apps that are forced on to you. Not as good as uninstalling but better than nothing.

Where would you find that disable option? I have uninstalled and the remaining apps like Crunchyroll, Crackle, Starz and Epix are still there displayed on the App tab even though they are not under the installed apps to be able to uninstall.

The more I think about it this device should have been given away for free because all the money making advertisements are in the row below the tabs. Balcony seats for rent to highest paying corporation.

I do like the Emby interface on the Google TV better then the one on the Roku. Do lets wait for the XDA-Developers to come up with solutions. First thing that my Chromecast did after connecting to the Internet was update the firmware and that was yesterday. Here is for hoping  but I doubt it that Google will let that cash cow go.

arche
51 minutes ago, One2Go said:

Where would you find that disable option? I have uninstalled and the remaining apps like Crunchyroll, Crackle, Starz and Epix are still there displayed on the App tab even though they are not under the installed apps to be able to uninstall.

The more I think about it this device should have been given away for free because all the money making advertisements are in the row below the tabs. Balcony seats for rent to highest paying corporation.

I do like the Emby interface on the Google TV better then the one on the Roku. Do lets wait for the XDA-Developers to come up with solutions. First thing that my Chromecast did after connecting to the Internet was update the firmware and that was yesterday. Here is for hoping  but I doubt it that Google will let that cash cow go.

Go to settings >Accounts & Sign In and then you should see the option for Apps only mode

One2Go
2 hours ago, arche said:

Go to settings >Accounts & Sign In and then you should see the option for Apps only mode

Got it Troyhough was referring to the Apps only mode which is not what I want because of all the disabling that is being done. For me I would like to see no other apps except the ones that I installed unless there are not enough then they may add theirs but that is not my case. Perhaps the home and app screen will change as you make more use of selecting this and that.

troyhough
1 hour ago, One2Go said:

Got it Troyhough was referring to the Apps only mode which is not what I want because of all the disabling that is being done. For me I would like to see no other apps except the ones that I installed unless there are not enough then they may add theirs but that is not my case. Perhaps the home and app screen will change as you make more use of selecting this and that.

No. If you go to settings and find Apps, System Apps, etc. Should be able to scroll through and disable all the ones you want nothing to do with.

One2Go
52 minutes ago, troyhough said:

No. If you go to settings and find Apps, System Apps, etc. Should be able to scroll through and disable all the ones you want nothing to do with.

I saw that already but there are 81 entries under the system Apps with no real correlation to what they are doing. Some of them have listed "Disable" others "Force Stop" but which one to get rid of the spamming the screen with suggestions from apps that I don't have remains a mystery to me and I am not about to go through trial and error. Launcher-X what does it do? Thus my hoping that the XDA-Developers will find a solution.

arche
16 minutes ago, One2Go said:

Thus my hoping that the XDA-Developers will find a solution.

I wonder how long until they root this one (unless they already have, a little behind on my reading). I'd probably test a custom ROM once I get a second one for testing.

Edited by arche

arche

Just paired my Echo Buds to the Chromecast and seems to work pretty well. A little stubborn at pairing at first, but might have been user error.

jhoff80

I also notice that Emby is not listed in Google Assistant's 'searchable apps' on the Chromecast like it is on the Shield.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jhoff80 said:

I also notice that Emby is not listed in Google Assistant's 'searchable apps' on the Chromecast like it is on the Shield.

We are investigating.  I sure hope they haven't blocked this to partners only as well...

• Like 1

arche
17 hours ago, jhoff80 said:

I did notice this on the original setup, thought it was user error as I'm still new to Google TV.

I picked up two of these from Best Buy and added on USB-C hubs for Gigabit Ethernet. 1080p x264 / HEVC, including 10-bit, play flawlessly. Haven't yet tested my 3D MVC remuxes, but most 4K content is not working (playback takes forever to start and video stutters). Both are connected to older TVs (720p and 1080i). I'm presuming this is a downscaling issue, maybe if I have the server transcode it will work?

Oh, also, seems to have issues playing back lossless audio. Not so much an issue for me on these TVs since they're not my primary viewing devices and on one the Google TV is plugged directly into the TV (no receiver) and the other is plugged into a receiver that only supports PCM lossless but worth noting.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=357396&pid=2979957#pid2979957

A bit of a mixed bag playing back 3D MVC MKV remuxes. I was able to get it to play back a rip with a DTS:X soundtrack correctly (I think this was being transcoded) but any of my 3D remuxes with Atmos soundtracks pause on playback every 5-10 seconds. Also had issues playing back a 3D MVC MKV remux with a FLAC soundtrack. I also tried a 4K movie with a DTS:X soundtrack and after some hiccups on starting playback it did play correctly (again, I think this was transcoding). I'm not sure if these issues are something we need Google to fix or if it can be accounted for in the Emby app. If Google has to make software updates to support smooth playback then I'm not sure how long that will take or if they have the appetite to support home media playback since the device seems intended for streaming services.

16 hours ago, One2Go said:

The only way I could get Emby, A MUST APP, on the new Chromecast was by browsing the App category Video Player....

Came up for me in search inside apps - but I had to use the on-screen keyboard.  Nothing you say into the mic will be able to spell "Emby" properly.

Who the heck decided to put the power button on the bottom of the remote?

Has anyone ever seen a remote where the power button wasn't at the top?

Do they think that if they make it hard enough to find the button, you just won't turn it off?

• Like 2

troyhough
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Who the heck decided to put the power button on the bottom of the remote?

Has anyone ever seen a remote where the power button wasn't at the top?

Do they think that if they make it hard enough to find the button, you just won't turn it off?

What are your thoughts on the actual playback of the device, specifically with being able to Direct Play all/most Emby content/files?