New Chromecast

Sammy

arche

I am using 3 HDHomerun Prime's. It seems to be Direct Playing HEVC files at 1080p with AAC Stereo and no subs.

troyhough
52 minutes ago, arche said:

I am using 3 HDHomerun Prime's. It seems to be Direct Playing HEVC files at 1080p with AAC Stereo and no subs.

This is good news.

Got mine.  Not the fastest tool in the shed but usable.  Very unfortunate that they took away the ability for installed apps to place rows on the home screen.  They've basically turned into Amazon now - where you cannot escape the content they are pushing.

• Like 2

troyhough
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Very unfortunate that they took away the ability for installed apps to place rows on the home screen.  They've basically turned into Amazon now - where you cannot escape the content they are pushing.

This is lame but maybe necessary to offer the unit for the $49 price?

Let us know if there are any codecs/scenarios where it won't Direct Play something with Emby please.

Also please post any problems with sideloaded apps not working (such has been reported with the 'AT&T Now' app).

arche
38 minutes ago, ebr said:

Got mine.  Not the fastest tool in the shed but usable.  Very unfortunate that they took away the ability for installed apps to place rows on the home screen.  They've basically turned into Amazon now - where you cannot escape the content they are pushing.

Glad I didn't miss it. I spent awhile trying to find a way to customize the home screen. For me, it does seem faster than the firestick and roku, but again that is me.

jachin99

I think I'll pass on this also.  I want my own content on the home screen so until google can provide me with that, I'll stick to the shield.  I also play games and I don't picture something like dolphin running smoothly on this.

arrbee99

I shouldn't comment as I haven't got one, but for the price is this home screen thing really that important. I mean, from what I can see just click down twice, click OK, and you're in Emby.

mjmccans

I am also interested in this device to replace my aging Roku device that is super slow and constantly has issues with aspect ratio and crashing. For anyone who has the new Google TV device now, does the "apps-only" mode that can be turned on help at all with the usability issues raised? I personally do not think I will find the default home screen too bad, but the "apps-only" mode does seem appealing for those who want a cleaner interface. 

• Like 1

Richard Branches

You people speak like the Shield will never touch this, well, guess what?, Google said new devices will ship this new interface while the ones already in the market plus the ones people already have will be upgraded to the new homescreen in about two years.

Sony is the first one to jump this ship but I assume the rest will be tempted to upgrade as soon as possible.

Time will tell...

arche
1 hour ago, mjmccans said:

I am also interested in this device to replace my aging Roku device that is super slow and constantly has issues with aspect ratio and crashing. For anyone who has the new Google TV device now, does the "apps-only" mode that can be turned on help at all with the usability issues raised? I personally do not think I will find the default home screen too bad, but the "apps-only" mode does seem appealing for those who want a cleaner interface. 

I'll have to try this when I get home. Didn't know about this. Thanks for the heads up. 

One2Go

Finished setting up mine today and I can live with the home screen after uninstalling all the apps that I don't own. Still you get recommendations for YouTube TV which I don't have and don't want. But otherwise for the price it is to be recommended to friends especially if you do it as a gift to the not too techie ones and then finish the setup for them.

In trying to find the Emby App I searched for it under Apps Search but it did not return a find. However under browsing Video Players I found Emby. Played live TV from my HDHomerun Extend flawless. Found the navigation and operations of the Chromecast also a bit faster then the Roku TV to which the Chromecast is connect. Another Plus is the Remote controls the Power, HDMI port plus the audio controls of the TV. In addition I paired a Bluetooth headset to it and that again worked flawless.

On the downside as already mentioned the customization of the Homescreen would be nice, but that is prime real estate where Google is making its profit. Also I don't like that under the Apps tab I can't seem to get rid of the Huge squares of Crunchyroll, Tubi, Starz and Epix if anyone knows please share.

It looks like that on ALL the tabs the 1st row below the tabs it exclusively reserved for what Google wants to place there and I can't figure out how to control this.

Edited by One2Go

arche

So I did enable apps-only mode and although it does disable Google Assistant as @jhoff80 says, I can live with that as I don't use it. It really does clean up the home screen alot. I do find though that the remote buttons seem to be really touchy/sensitive. I've been using the firestick so long, I do wish there was a way to page down or up in the channel guide from the remote (unless I'm missing it).

I think I might order and give Shield TV a shot, but for now, I'm not sure I will be going back to the firestick or roku.

Edited by arche

vdatanet

What about high bitrate movies? If audio and video is supported, can it handle bitrates about 80 mbps (Blu-ray UHD remux)?

Sammy
13 hours ago, Richard Branches said:

You people speak like the Shield will never touch this, well, guess what?, Google said new devices will ship this new interface while the ones already in the market plus the ones people already have will be upgraded to the new homescreen in about two years.

Sony is the first one to jump this ship but I assume the rest will be tempted to upgrade as soon as possible.

Time will tell...

How do yo know this?

Hopefully someone over at xdaDevelopers fixes this move by Google. 

Richard Branches
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I guess "apps only" mode doesn't re-enable app recommendations...?

Not unfortunately, not even the Google Assistant works in this mode.

arche

This is what mine looks like with only apps enabled and disabled. All the tabs at the top are mostly gone. Also, you still get the ads on the home screen, but everything below the apps row are gone.

homescreen_org.jpg

homescreen_new.jpg

• Like 1

arche
7 hours ago, vdatanet said:

What about high bitrate movies? If audio and video is supported, can it handle bitrates about 80 mbps (Blu-ray UHD remux)?

Sorry, I don't have any to test with at the moment. I will see if I can get one to test with. Not sure if anyone else has tested yet.

• Like 2

troyhough
19 minutes ago, arche said:

This is what mine looks like with only apps enabled and disabled. All the tabs at the top are mostly gone. Also, you still get the ads on the home screen, but everything below the apps row are gone.

homescreen_org.jpg

homescreen_new.jpg

Looks good. Don't forget that there should be an option to "disable" the apps that are forced on to you. Not as good as uninstalling but better than nothing.

arche
9 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but these are the stats for the video I tried to play. I tried every audio option and could not get the video to play. Audio worked on every option, just not the video. I'm still new to Google TV, so not sure if there's another way to test this or not. Let me know.

test_video.jpg

troyhough
1 hour ago, arche said:

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but these are the stats for the video I tried to play. I tried every audio option and could not get the video to play. Audio worked on every option, just not the video. I'm still new to Google TV, so not sure if there's another way to test this or not. Let me know.

test_video.jpg

so no issues with 1080P HEVC files, but run into problems with high bitrate HEVC?