Can't add network folder - Nvidia Shield Pro

GilGil

Hi.

New to Emby. Coming from Plex, I find adding folder to be quite a challenge.

I have a HDD connected to my router. The HDD is shared in the network and has nested folders, Videos, Pictures, Misc.

The shared name is \\asus-nas-smb\Media

Under Media folder is Videos

I'd like to add the Videos folder to the Movies library, but I cannot access this folder.

Attached screenshots for example.

For some reason, I have to manually enter this path: \\asus-nas-smb\ whereas with Plex, it can see all the nested folder under \\asus-nas-smb\ without an issue.

The latest server is installed on the Shield and the Client is installed on the shield as well.

I'm using the Web access to setup the library.

2020-09-29 19_20_10-Library.png

2020-09-29 19_19_10-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - Media Server.png

5 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

It's better to mount the shares on the Nvidia Shield file system and then use the local path:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4836/~/how-do-i-share-pc-folders-with-shield

I don't know what it means.

I don't think I can mount the shares. The Asus router only allows me to drill down to the Media folder and not to its nested folders, so I can't "expose" them on the network.

Having said that, I'm able to access these nested folders via Plex library setup, so I wonder what's so different with Emby.

vdatanet
5 minutes ago, GilGil said:

RT-AX88U

In USB application, you can enable Samba shares for connected drives:

462315661_Capturadepantalla2020-09-29121158.jpg.feafff18f6cb3f567c9412d0c216bc0e.jpg

Then you can mount those shares in Nvidia Shield file system

3 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

In USB application, you can enable Samba shares for connected drives:

462315661_Capturadepantalla2020-09-29121158.jpg.feafff18f6cb3f567c9412d0c216bc0e.jpg

Then you can mount those shares in Nvidia Shield file system

That's what I have.

But as you can see, I don't have the nested folder Video, which is under Media folder.

I cannot expend the Media folder and include Videos.

Videos is already part of Media and should be seen by Emby server.

2020-09-29 20_14_23-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - Network Place (Samba) Share.png

Edited by GilGil

vdatanet

I would do:

- Mount share \\YOURSERVER\YOURSHARE on Nvidia Shield file system, as indicated before
- Navigate in the local Nvidia Shield filesystem to /storage/YOURSERVER/YOURSHARE/...

my HDD is shared via network as SMB.

the server is running on nvidia shield.

I use my PC web client to setup the libraries.

Since the HDD is on the router, not on the shield, why would I need to navigate to the nvidia shield filesystem?

vdatanet

When mounting the share on Nvidia Shied filesystem you do something like this:

/storage/YOURSERVER/YOURSHARE/movies/yourmovie.mkv = \\YOURSERVER\YOURSHARE\movies\youmovie.mkv

In this way, the movie.mkv file is treated as if it were a local file, being the most efficient way to access the file.

Edited by vdatanet

Thanks for helping. Really appreciate it.

This feels a bit backwards.

I don't know why it is so complicated with Emby, where in Plex it justs "sees" the folders and nested folders very easily with Zero setup.

The fact I have to go through hoops with setting libraries with Emby doesn't give much incentive to invest in this, unfortunately.

I give up.

vdatanet
1 hour ago, GilGil said:

2020-09-29 19_20_10-Library.png

When you click on Media, don't you see its content? If you don't see the content, maybe its a permissions issue. When mounting the share, you can indicate username and password and then you don't have permissions issues.

See the Media/ folder? If I click on it to drill down, then what happens next is the Folder: field gets cleared, as if I selected nothing.

So I can't see its content.

Where should I mount the share? The shared drive is already mounted on the network, so I don't know where I need to "share" it again with permission.

I figured it out.

A restart to the Shield allowed to access my NAS folders without an issue.

Go figure...

On a side note, can Emby play Blu Ray folders? I have a 1:1 copy of a blu ray disc, not an MKV rip. 

Yes I would suggest using the tools in the OS to mount the network share to a local path, then add the local path into Emby Server.

Just curious, but since this is external media you have connected to your router  is there any reason you can't plug the USB drive directly to the Shield TV for better performance and to eliminate the network for storage?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cayars said:

Just curious, but since this is external media you have connected to your router  is there any reason you can't plug the USB drive directly to the Shield TV for better performance and to eliminate the network for storage?

The Shield already has an SSD attached as internal storage, and 1TB HDD for media files. So I occupied the only 2 USB ports on the Shield.

However, sometimes I'd like to view media files on my tablet or phone, and for that I don't want to remote to the shield. I want these media files to be available for every device I have in my LAN. That's where the HDD storage on my router comes in handy. The media on my router's HDD should also be available for the Shield, which it is. As I stated, something happened with the mounting of the storage and a reboot to the Shield sorted it out and I can access the folders in Emby server.