Volume issues

I am not seeing an option to boost audio level during playback like Plex or even an option to do so not during playback. The movie I am trying to play, audio level is too low making it impossible to watch it. And I don't like subs unless it's a foreign film. If this isn't an option please put it near the top of the list. It is a must have feature.

I am using Android phone to cast through chromecast. Most of my media's audio level is tolerable but the ones that aren't I need to be able to raise the volume past the defaults. Being semi-hard of hearing doesn't help which Is why I blast my tv volume most of the time. Can't do that with Emby unless I'm missing something. 

Not trying to sound rude just frustrated. 

Happy2Play

Are you saying the audio track is just low or is it specific to this playback method?

Can you go over a specific example but if the device natively supports the audio track Transcode Downmixing does not apply.

Audio boost when downmixing:

Boost audio when downmixing. Set to 1 to preserve original volume value.

But sound exactly like this discussion.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/90173-volume-issues

See I dont know what you mean by downmixing. As far as transcoding I believe it's when it converts the video. 

The video format is 720 h264 and audio says und aac stereo default. I have no idea what any of it but 720 means. 

But yeah audio on some movies like this one is just low. Can't turn it up anymore because the tv and my phone volume is up to the max.

This is one of the areas where, I really hate to say it cuz I hate Plex, does it better because they do give you a boost audio button and that fixed my issue. If Emby figures out a way to minimic what Plex has done in this area I would be ecstatic. 

EDIT: I set the value to one but that doesn't fix it. Made it ever slightly louder but not even close to enough difference. Maybe it's just the move. What kind of example are you needing. Sorry I'd like to be of more help but I don't really know how. I also don't know how to provide logs but if you need them and don't mind walking me through it that might be helpful. 

Similar discussion as the other post. I'd prefer you don't merge me though. 

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...
Kosmik

I have the same issue. It's something with the files and I think 5.1. Older files in my library are much louder ( those would direct play though, these are hvec). Same TV, same setup, easily audible on volume of 30, the more modern files, need to boost to like 60 or 70 just to hear conversations. 

Have tried setting the audio level to 2 or 3 which is max but not hearing any differance. 

This is using an Android emby app to cast from my server on my local lan. Ideas? 

This is a common issue.. what I mean is that it does this in MPC-HC. I have the K-Lite Codec Pack FULL installed and my regular video playback is handled using MPC-HC.. It uses different codes such as LAV splitter.. has other options.. BUT.. What I do..

I have a harmon/kardon 5.1 channel AVR.. with only two speakers.. I connect however and send A/V through HDMI <- from computer, then to TV (HDMI)..

I have movies with everything from 7.1 to 2 channel sound. I used the options within MPC-HC to do custom channel mapping all to left, right, left/right as it applies to the channel and where it needs to be placed ( This seems to be the better option for sound - I think my AVR actually has setting to setup the speakers correctly, regardless of input ). It has options for regain volume, amplification, down sampling.. I have only regain volume checked..

Whew.. POINT here.. getting there.. IS that when I use this player.. I have the same issue.. above two channel input will blow you outta your chair when something blows up on the screen.. while audio and other sounds are put at a normal level would seem that audio is lower ( and usually on the center channel ).. but it is how the sound is done on 3.1 and above.. Not great for low level movie watching.. but is great for an immersive experience.. put together will something that handles those channels it winds up being the configuration you have to process the sound.. individual channel levels.. While lower frequencies are usually sent to the LFE or sub... 

2 channel sound files sound completely normal. 

So, flattening the output (normalizing) which would start with channel mapping or conversion while transcoding to 2 channel would be an option... or selecting the other audio if present for your movie.. would be the issue. Per device profile settings or app for changes would be a solution as well ( configuration/ultimate number or needed channels ).. straight out transcoding is going to include all channels at the same source levels.. The reason it sounds lower is because the audio track cannot contain clipping and output levels for say.. the LFE and loud events ARE going to be louder.. only allowing the sound to be so loud within the allowed decibel range on the track, before output distortion occurs BEFORE processing, or clipping...

Actually fixing the issue is a bit more technical and would involve possibly other codecs, and transcoding processing.. at a per device level.. and yes would also need options for configuration of sound for those who have mixed hardware setups.. to achieve a more normalized output or two channel sound some desire or need. 

CharleyVarrick

If audio volume is abnormally low, wether its an audio track or video,

try playing it with 2-3 different players.

If still low, but other comparable media are loud enough, you have a bad copy.

You could run it in some app (xmediarecode has provision for this) to transcode and increase audio volume, but the end result would probably not be great as far as quality is concerned. But it would fix the issue on hand, which is insufficient volume

By the way, volume boost feature on a player (ie: VLC) works on same idea, but without saving a new fixed copy.

Edited by CharleyVarrick