Roku ultra buffering

MisterAngelus

MisterAngelus

I am wondering is there any issues with the currant Roku ultra firmware 9.3 where it will start buffering out of no where intermittently I saw this last night  and the last few days if so is there a work around? anyone else seeing  this

attached is all my logs from yesterday  it might be in the last one from yesterday

logs.zip

Hi.  Can you please provide more specifics from a single example?  What is the item, how is it playing, a single log representing the problem.

Thanks!

MisterAngelus

I wish I could provide a better example then whatever you find in the log but the problem being intermittent I cant reproduce it reliably 

I can tell you it's a mkv .h264  and eac3 2 channel stereo Bitrate 8,989 kbps

I  think it has to do with the Roku 9.3 firmware  but I can't confirm it  

Anyone else seeing any issues with the Roku lately

Is this an MKV? Have you tried running it through MKVToolNix GUI and start remux? Remux will place the streams into a new MKV and build a new header. It is fast and should take seconds. It might be as simple as something in the header.

You can also try using Playback Correction in the application. This will act like an error occured and should cause a DirectStream versus a DirectPlay. That might help whatever hiccup is happening. Ffmpeg does the work at format detection during DirectStream. The Roku is doing format detection during DirectPlay. DirectStream uses very little CPU and does involve ffmpeg where DirectPlay does not. The firmware issues (framedrops, audio drops, etc) will happen usually in DirectPlay but not in DirectStream.

Does this happen all the time with that file or is this with different files at different times and seemingly totally random? When you enable stats for nerds in the Roku app (inside the cog/gear on the OSD) watch what the play method says. Then use playback correction and verify it changes play method. Afterwards wait for another hiccup to occur and see if one does. That should work around the problem. If the firmware issue creates a problem with the video stream you may have to use playback correction multiple times to force a full transcode of the video. Once the play method shows transcoding that is the best protection against issues there is. Ffmpeg is doing all the heavy lifting and encoutering any problems. It then passes a clean stream to the Roku.

Edited by speechles

MisterAngelus

it's an MKV and no I haven't tried MKVToolNix  and if it does happen I can exit Emby and restart Emby and resume the exact same file and it plays fine   so totally random and it's not just that file  it's happened twice before with different files so totally random which is why I was wondering about the firmware