Android TV repeat issues

mojopagoda
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

mojopagoda

Hi... yet another problem with Emby access.  This time it is trying to get Android TV EMBY App, paid for and unlocked, to access my server.   Immediately after install, Android App can find the windows server, provides option for User select (which I don't want by the way, rather have just immediately log in but I can't figure that out).  Log in OK.  Watch a tv show or movie or whatever.  If I exit from the app for whatever reason (eg using another app like streaming service) then try to go back into Emby, the Emby logo just sits there circling thinking thinking thinking.  "Invalid User ID and Password" flashes up (weirdly).  I then exit from this loop.  If I delete the app and reinstall, I can repeat the above access OK, but only until the next time I do something else.  Also, if I "clear data" for Emby then I can reproduce the above rather than delete and download.  This means I have to "unlock  purchase" every d%@!^^% time which is getting annoying frankly.   Anyway, I would really like to know how to get Emby to just work on my Android TV without having to reinstall it or clear the data, going through all these hoops every time.  😞

mojopagoda

Yes mate, I think it's all correct every time.  I never change it and ipconfig produces the same numbers.  I've had numerous issues with Emby (usually solved by reinstalling) and each time I check the IP address and it matches ipconfig.  

But, just to help non-programmers like me, when you say "correct" can you please be a bit clearer about what you mean?

34 minutes ago, mojopagoda said:

when you say "correct" can you please be a bit clearer about what you mean?

I mean if you entered the exact same text into a web browser on a different machine, it would connect properly to your Emby server.

mojopagoda

Okay thanks for clarifying.  Yes, no problems.  eg browser on iphone and ipads.  The issue seems very consistently repeatable at the moment. 

That is a pretty strange local address.  You are positive it is correct?

What you describe sounds exactly like the server not discovering your IP address properly.

mojopagoda

Guys I just can't understand what you mean by "correct address".   If that is the what the dashboard says and also it works on other devices within the LAN, I'm not sure what else to say?  Android TV app can access it OK on fresh install / after clearing data.  On second usage, it loops into infinity never finding it, as per my original post.

Is your local network subnet really 192.168.137.x?  Usually, that would be something like 192.168.1.x.  Not impossible that it is what is shown there, just unusual and looks like it could be a virtual adapter address instead.

If you use the manual connect option from the TV app and input "192.168.137.1" for the server address, does it connect properly?

mojopagoda

Hi... first thing - I don't know what that is, so I definitely didn't set it up if it is the issue.

Second:  no log in works unless I clear the data from the Android TV app or reinstall it.  That is still true.

Third:  After doing that, I manually entered the server address as you suggested and could not connect to server.  However, if I selected the server that was being discovered automatically, it worked.  <<=== interesting!🧐

If I exit from the app and re-enter, then it doesn't work.  If I "switch server" it can't find the server that it just accessed, unless I clear the data.

i have sent a log from the app but haven't had time to report it properly in this chain.

Thanks!

mojopagoda

This error was generated during the above mentioned process: "VolleyError com.android.volley.NoConnectionError:"

Presumably just means couldn't connect but thought I should share it.

Log from the Android TV app was sent to you about 5:24pm your time.

Edited by mojopagoda

mojopagoda

Hi again.... I looked up my wifi router's admin page and found the ip address for the laptop that is running the emby server.  (192.168.1.107)

I used that ip address "manually" inside Android TV app, connected OK.  Exited from the app as a test.  Re-entered app, and hey presto it worked! 

So, the issue seems to be on the windows server app telling the connected devices that the IP address is 192.168.137.1, which is wrong, and there we get the issue.  

Happy2Play

Have you updated to 4.5.1.0 as there is a fix for this issue.  But yes the manual work around is setting the local ip address via Dashboard-Network

• Fix local network address detection causing virtual adapters to be preferred

mojopagoda

Hi - I didn't know about that.... would have saved heaps of hassle and time! By the way, the dashboard says my server is up to date, at 4.5.0.50 but the release notes mention the later versions....  curious.

Hi, If you open a command prompt in windows and type this on the Emby server:

ipconfig /all

What does it show?

Edited by cayars

10 hours ago, mojopagoda said:

Hi - I didn't know about that.... would have saved heaps of hassle and time!

Hi.  That's what we've been trying to ask you from the beginning (my first post in here).  I'm glad you got it fixed up.

Thanks.

mojopagoda

Really? I was supposed to figure all that out from your one line question that didn't mention the update????  Right from the beginning you did not mention there was an update, you merely asked if the IP address was correct.  I answered the questions as per the information provided by the Dashboard.  My screenshot of my dashboard in the post above clearly shows that the version number was 4.5.0.50 and "up to date" even though there was apparently a 4.5.1 update.  It wasn't mentioned until Happy2Play mentioned the update.   So, no, I don't think it was my fault that I had to work it out for myself by looking at the wifi box's admin page, seeing as the app itself was incorrectly pointing to the virtual adapters IP number (*which I could not have known).    Thanks I guess for the oblique and cryptic help along the way.  This is just typical of the sort of comments received on this forum though.   

7 minutes ago, mojopagoda said:

Really? I was supposed to figure all that out from your one line question that didn't mention the update????  Right from the beginning you did not mention there was an update, you merely asked if the IP address was correct.  I answered the questions as per the information provided by the Dashboard.  My screenshot of my dashboard in the post above clearly shows that the version number was 4.5.0.50 and "up to date" even though there was apparently a 4.5.1 update.  It wasn't mentioned until Happy2Play mentioned the update.   So, no, I don't think it was my fault that I had to work it out for myself by looking at the wifi box's admin page, seeing as the app itself was incorrectly pointing to the virtual adapters IP number (*which I could not have known).    Thanks I guess for the oblique and cryptic help along the way.  This is just typical of the sort of comments received on this forum though.   

Hi.  Sorry, I did not mean to imply anything was your fault.  At the time of my first question to you there wasn't an update available but there was a known issue where the server might not discover the proper IP address for itself.  That's why we kept asking if the address shown on the dashboard was correct.  You said it was, but must not have understood because it turns out it wasn't.

In any case, I'm glad you've got it going now.

• Like 1