Multiple Movie Editions

MaximumGator

Looking into this, can additional formats be added to recognize movies as apart from "title - version" another format greatly use is "title (year) [version] [extra data]" putting extra info in [] or {} maybe establish a standard of using one for version and another for video/audio codec to better differentiate between files. 

Yes certainly. I know you're handy with regexes so if you like I can point you to the code that handles this.

Yes certainly. I know you're handy with regexes so if you like I can point you to the code that handles this.

Yes, please point me in the right direction it is been a while.

I love this feature, as now it becomes very easy to manage libraries. The I found the group function that allows to combine multiple movies, even if they are not in the same folder.

Now I have some questions:

When using the autoselect, what criteria does it use? Is it mostly by the file extension?

On devices where this is not supported, like Kodi or Roku, how does the pluggin select which file to add to/ show in the library?

The same goes for chapter extraction. How does it select from what file to extract the chapters?

When using the group function, how does it select which metadata to use?

I'm trying to organize my library and still have some 3D movies. They don't work on all devices and I would prefer the chapter extraction from the non-3D version. I want to be sure that the non-3D version is always used for everything, unless I manually select to play the 3D version.

Auto-selection will favor whatever is determined to be the most efficient version for that device given the settings in the app. By efficient that generally means avoiding server transcoding.

jhoff80

I mentioned this in the testing thread, but it probably makes more sense as a part of the feature requests forum anyway.  It would also be really nice to have multiple version support for TV as well.  I'm sure one (of many) complicating factor is that some TV naming formats already include a dash in the file name to give the episode title though.

Two examples of where it would be useful for me.

-I've got the SD and HD versions of The Wire.  The former is as originally aired, the latter is cropped.  I'd like to be able to drop both into Emby and select in-app.

-My server is not powerful enough to transcode HEVC main 10 (and unfortunately GPU transcoding on the GTX1050 I added doesn't improve on that at all in Windows Server 2016 for some reason), so I'd like to keep a 1080p h.264 and a 4k h.265 version to select from.

I mentioned this in the testing thread, but it probably makes more sense as a part of the feature requests forum anyway.  It would also be really nice to have multiple version support for TV as well.  I'm sure one (of many) complicating factor is that some TV naming formats already include a dash in the file name to give the episode title though.

Two examples of where it would be useful for me.

-I've got the SD and HD versions of The Wire.  The former is as originally aired, the latter is cropped.  I'd like to be able to drop both into Emby and select in-app.

-My server is not powerful enough to transcode HEVC main 10 (and unfortunately GPU transcoding on the GTX1050 I added doesn't improve on that at all in Windows Server 2016 for some reason), so I'd like to keep a 1080p h.264 and a 4k h.265 version to select from.

Multiple Resolutions for TV shows

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
heciruam

Is this feature now locked? Because I was hoping this would work different.

I don't want to rename the filenames of the movie just to be discovered as multible versions. I could live with having to put them in the same folder. So I would like to request a different solution where I just add in an .nfo or .txt file that will identify the name of the moviefile as well as what I want it say in emby like "4K" or "3D" ...

I have no idea how hard it is to implement this or if it is even possible in the near future.

Hopefully I'm not late to the party.

cheers

Edited by heciruam

Deathsquirrel

Is this feature now locked? Because I was hoping this would work different.

I don't want to rename the filenames of the movie just to be discovered as multible versions. I could live with having to put them in the same folder. So I would like to request a different solution where I just add in an .nfo or .txt file that will identify the name of the moviefile as well as what I want it say in emby like "4K" or "3D" ...

I have no idea how hard it is to implement this or if it is even possible in the near future.

Hopefully I'm not late to the party.

cheers

It's implemented and working as designed.  I'd suggest opening a new feature request.

• Like 1

Is there a standard labelling for 4k versions?  I am starting to add some to my collection.

Thanks!

No you can name them however you like in accordance with our multi-version naming guidelines.

heciruam

OK I might just open a new efature request.

Will text in [rectangular brackets] be ignored?

Edited by heciruam

• 3 weeks later...
horstepipe

Hey @@Luke

There's one little thing caught my eye that could be quite confusing for some people. When you merge a 3D movie and a not 3D movie in one folder, e.g.:

Ant-Man (2015)/Ant-Man (2015) - 3D-TAB.mkv
Ant-Man (2015)/Ant-Man (2015) - Normal.mkv

they show up in the Emby selection field as:

3D-TAB/3D
Normal/3D

So they both got the '/3D' string at the end. So users may think they're both 3D but different 3D formats.

Thanks

Edited by horstepipe

• 7 months later...
shrouski

Bit late to this, but how can I get it to work without renaming files? It's not very seeding friendly. I have the files in the same folder, almost exactly the same name apart from one has 1080p and one has 2160p, named as the original and for the life of me can't find a way to group them even manually. Plex shows it as 1 movie, but Emby 2.

Collections isn't the answer for that, as it still shows me 2 movies in the movie list).

shrouski

You can group manually using the multi-select tool. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Perfect, thanks. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to find the multi-select tool though lol

heciruam

Perfect, thanks. Took me longer than I'd like to admit to find the multi-select tool though lol

I'm still looking. Where do I find this multi select tool?

• 2 weeks later...
shrouski

Just a note, after merging a 1080p and 2160p version into the same group, I watched the 4K one but the 1080p remains unwatched. If they're grouped I would imagine the desired effect would be to mark both as watched?

Even after forcing an import from Trakt it still doesn't mark the other one as watched.

Also in collections it still lists them as separate movies, not sure if that again is by design or not.