Multiple Movie Editions

MaximumGator

Doesn't seem to be working on ATV. Is this forthcoming?

If you are referring to Apple TV, a few posts up from yours:

As soon as the version currently under review for Fire and Android TV is out I believe that Apple TV will be the only one without the capability to select these manually (all apps support automatic selection).

If you are referring to Apple TV, a few posts up from yours:

Yes, Apple TV. Unfortunately your reply doesn’t answer my question. Is there a solution in the works for viewing multiple versions from the ATV app?

When do you expect the Apple TV app to have this capability? I am trying to respond to Luke who asked me to try out the multiple version file naming but since I’m only using the ATV, I suppose I will have to wait. Is there a thread for this? I’m curious what the UI will look like when multiple versions are found. Thanks!

I cannot give you a timeframe right now, sorry.

More than likely it will behave like the Android TV app and present you with options when there is more than one version and you hit the "Play" button on the detail screen.  That is probably the cleanest interface when dealing with a 10ft UI and a remote control.

Thanks.

Dibbes

Not sure if this should be a separate request or not, but can the requirement of the folder title and the movie titles having to be exactly the same, be removed?

Example:

\\fileserver\The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 3D-HSBS (Extended Version) (DTS) (x264).mkv

\\fileserver\The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 1080p (Extended Version) (AAC) (h264).mp4

Are seen as two separate movies, while 

\\fileserver\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 3D-HSBS (Extended Version) (DTS) (x264).mkv

\\fileserver\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 1080p (Extended Version) (AAC) (h264).mp4

Are seen as two versions of the same movie. Why have this requirement that the foldername must be exactly the same?

Also, when I want to edit the metadata of one of the versions, it always shows me the same version, it doesn't change when I select another version.

Edited by Dibbes

Not sure if this should be a separate request or not, but can the requirement of the folder title and the movie titles having to be exactly the same, be removed?

Example:

\\fileserver\The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 3D-HSBS (Extended Version) (DTS) (x264).mkv

\\fileserver\The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 1080p (Extended Version) (AAC) (h264).mp4

Are seen as two separate movies, while 

\\fileserver\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 3D-HSBS (Extended Version) (DTS) (x264).mkv

\\fileserver\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 1080p (Extended Version) (AAC) (h264).mp4

Are seen as two versions of the same movie. Why have this requirement that the foldername must be exactly the same?

Also, when I want to edit the metadata of one of the versions, it always shows me the same version, it doesn't change when I select another version.

Yes this should be in a different post but doing what you ask would probably create way too many mis-identifications.

Dibbes

Yes this should be in a different post but doing what you ask would probably create way too many mis-identifications.

Hmmm, I don't see how, but then, I only have a limited view on this. 

How about the metadata editing?

Hmmm, I don't see how, 

Imagine your folder name was "Hobbit Movies" and you had those movies you listed plus all the others in there.  How are we to tell the difference between different versions of the same movie vs. different movies entirely?

Dibbes

Ah, so. I get it now. I just meant to make the naming less restrictive. Just ignore commas, punctuation, accents on letters and anything else that's not a standard letter. So to take my example, both of these folders would be accepted because the title is the same (except for a comma), but Hobbit Movies would not be accepted because it deviates too much.

fuzzthekingoftrees

Is the version selection dialogue supposed to display the name of the version?

I have a folder containing two files

The Handmaiden (2016) - Theatrical Cut.mkv

The Handmaiden (2016) - Extended Cut.mkv

Emby correctly identifies these as two versions of the same film. The drop down to select the version I want to play just says "1080P/H264/AC3" twice. I was expecting it to say "Extended Cut" next to one of them. At the moment I don't know which version is which. Is this working as designed and if so are there plans to include the version name rather than just the codec details in the name?

Dibbes

Yes, over time it will be coming to every Emby app. Thanks !

Yes, you told me that before... however, the Apple TV app is a little bit of a redhaired step-child... 

Yes, you told me that before... however, the Apple TV app is a little bit of a redhaired step-child... 

I'm sorry it feels this way but I do understand.  We work on these types of things in priority of the number of users on the platform.

We will get to this one soon.

Dibbes

I'm sorry it feels this way but I do understand. We work on these types of things in priority of the number of users on the platform.

We will get to this one soon.

Don't worry, I totally get the reasons behind it. My problem is not with Emby (there are more, like Amazon Prime), it's with the ATV itself. Based on iOS, yet made even more limited on purpose and not in the interest of its users.

The only reason I still have the ATV is that I haven't been able to find an acceptable (read: Mrs approved) replacement yet, but I am now looking at a NUC, as per another thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@@Dibbes The latest beta of the Apple TV app has this now.  If you are not in the beta and would like to try it out, PM me the Apple ID for the device.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Dibbes

@@Dibbes The latest beta of the Apple TV app has this now.  If you are not in the beta and would like to try it out, PM me the Apple ID for the device.  Thanks.

Nice! Thank You!!!!!

I'll post some feedback in the appropriate post :)

Edited by Dibbes

• 2 weeks later...

Looking into this, can additional formats be added to recognize movies as apart from "title - version" another format greatly use is "title (year) [version] [extra data]" putting extra info in [] or {} maybe establish a standard of using one for version and another for video/audio codec to better differentiate between files. 

• Like 2