Multiple Movie Editions

MaximumGator

MaximumGator

I have several movies in multiple editions, ie Theatrical, Director's Cut, Extended Edition, etc. Right now I have these movies in the same root folder, such as:

/Taken (2008)

/Taken [Theatrical] (2008).mkv

/Taken [unrated] (2008).mkv

Both editions show up as a separate entry. As of right now, I've just taken to changing the name of each entry in the server so I can tell them apart. What I'd like to know is if there is a way to elegantly group them together under the same entry and choose which one to play after I select the movie from the main movie menu. I've thought about putting the non-theatrical versions in a "special" folder, but I was wondering if there was a better way to do this. 

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 5

Vidman

You could make them a collection... Collections can be set to show as a single item in the movie list that's opens to show all the contents of the collection

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

Ding Ding Ding Ding ^^^^

We will probably have more options for this in the future but, for now, the collections feature works pretty well.

denethor

Quoted from here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-52-media-browser-server-305211-released/

If you keep multiple encodings of videos, we now have easy ways to group them together.

Movies can be grouped together in your movie folder:
\300
300 - 1080p.mkv
300 - 3D.mkv
But if you don't want to bother changing folders, you can also do it right from the editing interface:

If I follow the rules of folder structure, movies with 3D version listed successfully once I applied 3D filter. But if I group movies manually, I lost those movies in 3D filtered view. Is this expected behavior or bug?

I'm on Version 3.0.5321.35225

Edited by denethor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
mediacowboy

Hate to bring this thread back to life but any word on different editions? I mean it's not all that rare to have a theatrical and a extended or alternate ending.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
mediacowboy

Has anything every come of this? I ask because I am upgrading my collection from SD to HD and a lot of the Blu-rays have extended edition's. How should I handle these? I have been naming them like this, Fast & Furious 6 [Extended], but emby isn't processing them as the movie and I have to re identify by taking the [Extended] off.

Edited by mediacowboy

• 2 months later...

To add to this request.

It would also be good to be able to be able to tell the difference when you have two copies of the same movie and they have audio tracks in different languages.

For example with cartoons for the kids, when you have one copy of the movie that's in english and then another that's dubbed in your native language.

Deathsquirrel

To add to this request.

It would also be good to be able to be able to tell the difference when you have two copies of the same movie and they have audio tracks in different languages.

For example with cartoons for the kids, when you have one copy of the movie that's in english and then another that's dubbed in your native language.

Just use MKVMerge or a similar tool to mux in the extra audio track.  No meed for separate files for different audio tracks.  It also lets you specify which track is your preferred default.  For example, my Crouching Tiger rip has English and Chinese tracks in both TrueHD and AAC, with Chinese TrueHD being the default.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

• 2 months later...
Deathsquirrel

Any update?  This is killing me.

This is still handled as a type of collection.  Where's the pain there out of curiosity?

• 1 year later...

I want to bump this. Collections take a lot of labor to set up because you have to do it through the UI.  It would be much better if there were a way to name your files or folders to make this work automatically.

When ripping my collection, I am already manually naming the files so I could do this at the same time and it wouldn't take any more time. Versus rip movie, name/organize files, go into Emby UI and create collection, then back to next movie. Lots of context switching that wastes time. This feature would result in a lot less ass pain.

Oh sorry Luke I didn't realize it was already done. I will try it out. If I name a movie something like Movie Name (2007).mkv what would the Unrated Version look like, "Movie Name (2007) - Unrated Version.mkv" ?

Dibbes

@@Luke which apps do support this at this time? You told me ATV not yet and I do see the different files in iOS and Android, but can't select the version I wasn't to play, unless, and this is very possible, I'm overlooking something...

EDIT: ebr just added me to the iOS beta and it's there in the beta app. Thanks!

Edited by Dibbes

daedalus

@@Luke which apps do support this at this time? You told me ATV not yet and I do see the different files in iOS and Android, but can't select the version I wasn't to play, unless, and this is very possible, I'm overlooking something...

the android app supports version selecting

As soon as the version currently under review for Fire and Android TV is out I believe that Apple TV will be the only one without the capability to select these manually (all apps support automatic selection).

Dibbes

@@daedalus I'll check for updates when I have the Tab in my hands then and see. I must be running an old version then

@@ebr

As soon as the version currently under review for Fire and Android TV is out I believe that Apple TV will be the only one without the capability to select these manually (all apps support automatic selection).

Yes, my iPad just automatically selected a 3D-HSBS... *grin*

Seriously though, I really can't find where to select this manually under iOS...

Found it in beta :)

Edited by Dibbes

I just flag it as completed.

I switched it back to "in-progress" because it isn't possible to select the version in all apps yet.

• Like 1