Multiple Emby questions

lordlance

Q3) I can't play FLAC 5.1 files. Does Emby not support 5.1 files?

Hi, what happens when you try to play them?

lordlance
7 hours ago, ebr said:

The answer to your questions are basically "it depends".  Mostly on exactly which device and app and many other conditions.  On my LAN using Android TV I can rewind and fast forward direct play media very quickly (basically instant) but most of my media is not at that high of a bitrate and without the same bandwidth constraints.

Not even 16Mbps?

18 hours ago, lordlance said:

I get an error message and it doesn't play.

Hi. Exactly what error message in what app?

Thanks.

lordlance
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking...

I was asking if you don't at least have videos with 16Mbps bit rate.

Speedtest shows that my soeed is 30Mbps and my 16Mbps videos still stutter.

43 minutes ago, lordlance said:

I was asking if you don't at least have videos with 16Mbps bit rate.

Yes, I do.  And Live TV at around 20 but no issues.  However, my speeds are faster (lots of headroom).

44 minutes ago, lordlance said:

Speedtest shows that my soeed is 30Mbps and my 16Mbps videos still stutter.

Latency and whatever else may be happening at the same time could have an impact here as well.

lordlance

More questions:

1) Why doesn't Emby update the artwork for each library section when more files are added? For example at the start of my Songs library, I only had Night at The Opera but since then have added Hand. Cannot. Erase. and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band but neither of them are shown in the thumbnail. Same issue for TV - there are no more files but the thumbnail still hasn't updated despite the service running.

2) Are you aware of Amazon Prime Fire Stick recently adding support for 5.1DTS because the audio used to be transcoded earlier but now it is not the case.

3) Does Emby borrow titles from other files? It appears to have done so with my library. For example in my Concerts library, I have (for example) Bruckner's  Symphony No. 9 conducted by Karajan and Brahms' Symphony No. 3 conducted by Gunter Wand. In my library the first file seems to have 'borrowed' the second file's metadata which is very strange. More notably it just seems to pick up metadata for files which do not exist. (Taking Bruckner 8 as Beethoven 8.)

4) Do the words 'DXVA' mean anything with relation to subtitles? On my PC the subtitles of such files (which are PGS) are presented in my default format but on my Emby it's presented in a very ugly font.

5) Running on Fire Stick I got the error message that is attached to this post. For log please refer to ~22:19 (You can search for 'She's Leaving Home'.)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-27 at 05.08.26(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-27 at 05.08.26.jpeg

embyserver-63739353600.txt

lordlance
On 10/26/2020 at 2:24 AM, ebr said:

Yes, I do.  And Live TV at around 20 but no issues.  However, my speeds are faster (lots of headroom).

Latency and whatever else may be happening at the same time could have an impact here as well.

ebr? I get the rewind issue even with a 6Mbps video file on my ~20Mbps Wi-Fi.

At the moment, the players are handling all "buffering" themselves but most of them are designed in more of a JIT manner rather than buffing in a ton of the file and keeping that around for a long time.  There are a lot of possible connect points in play when you seek around.  In my testing, seeks are usually quite fast.

lordlance
14 hours ago, ebr said:

At the moment, the players are handling all "buffering" themselves but most of them are designed in more of a JIT manner rather than buffing in a ton of the file and keeping that around for a long time.  There are a lot of possible connect points in play when you seek around.  In my testing, seeks are usually quite fast.

OK but why is the buffering slow with my connection? And what of my other questions?

On 10/26/2020 at 7:43 PM, lordlance said:

More questions:

1) Why doesn't Emby update the artwork for each library section when more files are added? For example at the start of my Songs library, I only had Night at The Opera but since then have added Hand. Cannot. Erase. and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band but neither of them are shown in the thumbnail. Same issue for TV - there are no more files but the thumbnail still hasn't updated despite the service running.

1.jpg

embyserver-63739353600.txt 843.38 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, these are updated on a schedule periodically, not every single time the library changes.

2) Are you aware of Amazon Prime Fire Stick recently adding support for 5.1DTS because the audio used to be transcoded earlier but now it is not the case.

Hi, yes our app can automatically detect what is supported by the device. Does this answer that question?

4) Do the words 'DXVA' mean anything with relation to subtitles? On my PC the subtitles of such files (which are PGS) are presented in my default format but on my Emby it's presented in a very ugly font.

No, we'd have to look at an example.

3) Does Emby borrow titles from other files? It appears to have done so with my library. For example in my Concerts library, I have (for example) Bruckner's  Symphony No. 9 conducted by Karajan and Brahms' Symphony No. 3 conducted by Gunter Wand. In my library the first file seems to have 'borrowed' the second file's metadata which is very strange. More notably it just seems to pick up metadata for files which do not exist. (Taking Bruckner 8 as Beethoven 8.)

What is the content type of the library?

pwhodges
On 26/10/2020 at 23:43, lordlance said:

1) Why doesn't Emby update the artwork for each library section when more files are added?

It's already got an image, so it's satisfied.

If I want to update the image, I go to the Images menu item for the library, tell it to delete the existing image, and then go and tell it to refresh the metadata including replacing images - If I've remembered the sequence right, that gets it to make a new portmanteau image.  The same works for collections which aren't recognised box sets.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
correction

lordlance
On 11/6/2020 at 12:31 PM, Luke said:

Hi, these are updated on a schedule periodically, not every single time the library changes.

The artwork updated itself recently. Strange. Why did it take so long to do it? A few weeks at least.

The content type of my Concert library is Music Videos.

DXVA example 1: https://pastebin.com/jVvSSAUM

DXVA example 2: https://pastebin.com/GNg1NDNN

Edited by lordlance

lordlance

I have the same issue with my TV library. It's showing Who is America? even though I deleted it a few weeks ago. The library is updated because I can see the new content. I refreshed metadata and clicked delete existing metadata but it still hasn't refreshed or changed.

Edited by lordlance

9 hours ago, lordlance said:

I have the same issue with my TV library. It's showing Who is America? even though I deleted it a few weeks ago. The library is updated because I can see the new content. I refreshed metadata and clicked delete existing metadata but it still hasn't refreshed or changed.

Hi, did you try just deleting the folder for that tv series and then running a library scan?

lordlance

I would prefer if all my questions were answered systematically instead of only the last one.

1) I still can't play 5.1 audio files - I've attached the logs in an earlier post.

2) Why are DXVA file subtitles rendered in non-native format? I've attached mediainfo of two DXVA files.

3) Why does Emby render files significantly better than Plex in the same conditions? I have attached mediainfo of several files in this thread which can be referenced. The performance is better for all files.

4) I got a wired connection which delivers only 60Mbps of my 122Mbps connection to my Fire Stick. When I rewind it's not quite instantaneous. Is 2 second rewind normal even on fast speeds?

5) Why is my Concerts library a complete mess in terms of naming? It's category is Music Videos. Example of what I mean has also been written earlier.

6) I haven't deleted my TV folder, no. Why would I delete it? It has SNL currently. I renamed my folder to Saturday Night Live but there is still no artwork.

7) What is the speed setting for if Emby doesn't transcode by default?

Edited by lordlance

It's very hard to answer every question when they are completely unrelated and likely should be in different threads.  Some people might be able to answer one or two but not others.

For #1 would have to go back and look but does your hardware support 5.1 audio of the format you are playing?  If not it will transcode the audio on the fly.

For #2 what are DXVA files? I always think of DXVA as DirectX Video Acceleration which is a way of doing something but not a file format.

For #3 my answer would be because Emby is better than Plex at conversions. Sorry but I'm biased. :)

For #4, how do you know it's only 60Mbps?  How did you test this?
Firesticks are lower end devices I believe (don't have any myself) so I'd not expect them to achieve top speeds but 60Mbsp isn't bad for a "stick".  2 seconds seems very reasonable to me depending on how far back you rewind as you likely had to re-fetch info from the server.

For #5 we would have to see your file/folder structure and use of meta-data like elements but guessing based on the rest of this thread would say you're likely not following the typical Emby folder structure or naming standards which are important.

For #6 you would remove the problematic items, rescan and then after a complete refresh of the system, rename and add back followed by a rescan.  That way you remove any old "junk". This helps to diagnose problems/issues.

For #7 the speed settings are there so you can override what Emby sets as default.  Emby is often times conservative but give you the power to adjust the client to settings that fit your environment.  Sometimes you may even want to change them often.  For example a phone or tablet on my home network will use one settings.  At a hotspot, work or hotel maybe another and on a cell network yet another settings.  This way I have full control over bandwidth used.

lordlance
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's very hard to answer every question when they are completely unrelated and likely should be in different threads.  Some people might be able to answer one or two but not others.

For #1 would have to go back and look but does your hardware support 5.1 audio of the format you are playing?  If not it will transcode the audio on the fly.

For #2 what are DXVA files? I always think of DXVA as DirectX Video Acceleration which is a way of doing something but not a file format.

For #3 my answer would be because Emby is better than Plex at conversions. Sorry but I'm biased. :)

For #4, how do you know it's only 60Mbps?  How did you test this?
Firesticks are lower end devices I believe (don't have any myself) so I'd not expect them to achieve top speeds but 60Mbsp isn't bad for a "stick".  2 seconds seems very reasonable to me depending on how far back you rewind as you likely had to re-fetch info from the server.

For #5 we would have to see your file/folder structure and use of meta-data like elements but guessing based on the rest of this thread would say you're likely not following the typical Emby folder structure or naming standards which are important.

For #6 you would remove the problematic items, rescan and then after a complete refresh of the system, rename and add back followed by a rescan.  That way you remove any old "junk". This helps to diagnose problems/issues.

For #7 the speed settings are there so you can override what Emby sets as default.  Emby is often times conservative but give you the power to adjust the client to settings that fit your environment.  Sometimes you may even want to change them often.  For example a phone or tablet on my home network will use one settings.  At a hotspot, work or hotel maybe another and on a cell network yet another settings.  This way I have full control over bandwidth used.

#1 - The audio does not play at all. How would I know if my TV supports it? This is my TV: https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-40ex520/specifications

#2 - I am not sure. Framestor marks some of its releases as DXVA. That's why I've attached the Mediainfo so that it could be ascertained what is different about the subs because they aren't rendered natively.

#4 - The reason I mentioned two seconds is because it's only 10 or 20 seconds. The app keeps a moving cache right? It shouldn't need a small buffering time period.

#3 - I used Speedtest on Firefox. Emby detects it at 80 however.

#7 - So if I lower the speed, it will transcode on-the-fly?

Edited by lordlance

That link shows the TV supports simulated stereo and Dolby® Digital/ Dolby® Digital Plus/ Dolby® Pulse audio. 

Could you post the Mediainfo again for one of these files in question?

Yes a 2 second delay sounds reasonable but of course faster is always better.  It's about 1 second for me on the Shield TV.

Transcoding is based on lots of variables, but if you lower the client speed below what the media is that should force a transcode if that's what you're trying to do.  Is it?  If so why?

• 4 weeks later...