Playback Freezing After Update to 4.5.0.50

Thomas Straub

Thomas Straub

Good afternoon everyone,

For whatever reason, my Mac OS based Emby server has been freezing with playback of any files since I updated yesterday. I did the normal update via drag and drop. I have checked my server's upload speed (FIOS, 950 mbps) and my download speed at the remote location (250 mbps) so I am convinced that isn't it. This occurs whatever file I play, and with whatever type.

Things play for a few seconds, cut out, and start again. The current test device is an NVIDIA Shield TV (the tube looking one). 

I would appreciate troubleshooting the server, or the Shield. These symptoms persist on my Pixel 4 XL. I had no similar issues prior to the update.

Thomas Straub

@Luke Any ideas here? I can reproduce this on a Lenovo laptop, NVIDIA Shield, and my Pixel 4 XL.

I don't mean to ping you out of turn, but I'm at a loss!

Thomas Straub

Interesting update

My ISP, Spectrum, seems to be blocking things. I've plugged directly into my modem (On the Shield) and things don't work. However, when I use Private Internet Access, things work!

What the heck?

I'd appreciate some guidance here. Also updated to the Emby Mac beta.

Sounds like your ISP might indeed be blocking things. One thing you could try is a different public facing port and see if that helps.

Thomas Straub

It's so odd that my ISP is blocking stuff in that range. 

My Emby set up is reverse proxied and Cloudflare over port 443 open on the server end, but the proxy forwards traffic to the same port on the Emby instance. 

I've been using the VPN for a few days and tried things today with it off, and now it's all working well.

Odd hiccup. Thank you so much for the help @Luke. I'm a big Emby fan and was devastated when it stopped!