Stalling with nvidia shield pro 2019 server.

Audiomixer
Go to solution Solved by Audiomixer,

Audiomixer

Setup.

Nvidia shield pro 2019>Lg Sound bar>Lg CX. Synology NAS ds918 as network share smbv3 to nvidia shield pro 2019 via emby server.
I have tried to install server version 4.5.0.50 for shield and all went well. I was able to add video types as I did with my synology and one folder I added was my 4K remux stuff. The problem is that when I try to play back this 4k UHD remux material on the shield where the server resides, I get a few seconds of play back and a few seconds of pause and then a few seconds of playback and then pause again and so on. This same shield plays back perfectly when playing back from my synology nas via its emby server. Plex server on this same shield playing back to the plex client is fine.  This is all via local network.
I like an emby server back up on my shield. What am I doing wrong?

Hi there, can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue:

Thanks!

FrostByte

This other thread may be of interest while your getting the data for Luke.  4K remux was working fine on their NAS too and now it constantly buffers after they migrated server to Windows and using the Shield as a client.  Another thing you could try is VLC as an external player with direct access.  You won't be streaming from Emby server anymore though so you will lose resume data, etc

FrostByte

If VLC with direct playback works for you then based on what @cayars mentioned in the other thread I would guess the issue is that you are now streaming the data to your server which then passes it off to the client vs before when server ran on your NAS it had direct access to your media.  

29 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

If VLC with direct playback works for you then based on what @cayars mentioned in the other thread I would guess the issue is that you are now streaming the data to your server which then passes it off to the client vs before when server ran on your NAS it had direct access to your media.  

Do you happen to know if the Shield TV/Android client can direct play with UNC?  The option shows up for me but is grayed out so I'm not sure what that means?

@Luke, @ebr Can anyone in the know explain this? Can the Android TV app direct play from storage/NAS/File Server/UNC? If so is there any special setup needed on the device to "mount" the storage location?

A direct FILE play should help to solve this problem.

Edited by cayars

PenkethBoy

are you sure that option on the ATV app is actually what you hope it is

depends how you read the description - i thought on first read it was something to do with streams - i took that as iptv related or livetv related

but  i could be wrong

mine is greyed out also

It works with external players but doesn't seem to with the internal player which is why I tagged the devs for better explanation on the shield.  It's sort of weird how it functions on the Shield from my experiments but maybe I didn't set things up correctly or performed an invalid test???

I'm just about positive the built in player always routes through the server and the link rbjtech sort of confirms this with many people testing.

rbjtech

I've tested the Shield (Exoplayer), FireTV (Exoplayer), PC Browser and LG Client (LG Native player) and ALL of them have the pausing/buffering when exceeding 50Mbit/sec when using SMB as the file storage. 

The only clients that don't do this are external (vlc, kodi) - primarily because they are not trying to convert SMB to HTTP (HLS) - they are playing it directly.  They do not have this issue, so I firmly believe the emby server conversion is the bottleneck here.

There are zero issues on any of the emby clients when using local storage. 

Audiomixer

Is it safe to say that logs on this have already been submitted? Seems like a lot of effort on my part to recreate the android server from scratch if this is a well known issue. I’ll do it if they need them though.

Edited by Audiomixer

Hi, there isn't a well known issue. If you could please go over an example and attach the requested information that would be great. Thanks !

vdatanet
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, there isn't a well known issue. If you could please go over an example and attach the requested information that would be great. Thanks !

I think it's related to this:

• Like 2

Audiomixer
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok Luke, log sent for both ATV and PM you the log of the android server. Sent 5:30pm eastern.

Title: The greatest showman 4K hdr, atmos remux. Starts to play for a few seconds and stalls. After 2-4 seconds it starts to play again for 10 or so seconds and stalls again and it’s rinse repeat as it were.

user: shield

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63736812702.txt

Edited by Audiomixer

Ok what I would suggest instead is mounting those smb paths to a local path using the tools in the android OS. Then add those local paths into Emby instead. Please see if that helps. thanks.

Audiomixer

Maybe I’m not understanding. I have my nas setup for smb 3 which the shield has mounted. Then in emby server it’s “storage/192.168.1.xxx/media/4K Movies”

Is this what you wanted?

Edited by Audiomixer

• Solution
Audiomixer

This seems to have been addressed with android TV beta 1.8.36g when direct play was allowed for higher bit rate files. So far it’s working well.

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 1