I actually want to try this

arche

34 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I don't use ring so no.

I don't either, I use nest. But I think this would be fun to try. Probably freak out my animals.

BAlGaInTl

Big NOPE from me.  Especially considering that Amazon owns Ring now.

I will enjoy reading the EULA when it comes out though.

arche
1 hour ago, BAlGaInTl said:

Big NOPE from me.  Especially considering that Amazon owns Ring now.

I will enjoy reading the EULA when it comes out though.

At worst, my paintball gun will be fun with it...

Gilgamesh_48

I do not like or want "cameras" taking pictures or monitoring inside my home. I do not even like motion sensors inside. I even keep my phone camera(s) in a disabled mode unless I need to take a picture and then I turn it on, take a picture and then turn it back off

I love gadgets but I do not think this one is of any value for me. I will not be trying anything like this at all. It is just too potentially intrusive for me to even consider. I think it is a product that has no place in the vast majority of homes.

I imagine for the agriculture industry the fly over drones might be useful to aerial spray and surveillance for both theft and problems. Where people walking through a huge cannabis operation may not be able to spend enough time with their eyes to see all. A fleet of drones over flying with AI meant to spot issues can pin point where people need to focus more time. Same with massive gardens of fruit. You can spot where moles and insects are becoming a problem quicker with a drone. You can spray for pests quicker with a drone. It removes the issue of having more men in the middle. One person, a small fleet of drones, and an overflight AI could patrol the entire garden. That is where that technology is more useful.

To monitor your home is probably more to keep your insurance lower. You can see intruders. Prove access points are secure. Prove valuables are where they should be. Where the origin of the fire was and once the smoke alarm sounds the drone army can swarm and start to defend with mini fire extinguishers they carry which are far less damaging than entire sprinkler systems. The drone army would keep your insurance lower. The drone army can pay for itself after the first small fire that may have consumed your entire home. The home sector for surveillance is still evolving as privacy laws change to keep companies diligent. But drones in your home is a good thing. Maybe not your home. But in general it is easier to keep costs lower by automating security.

Most people want police but do not like themselves being policed. It is natural to fear cameras and observation but it keeps people honest. Look at the UK for proof. Is it surveillance state or is it security and peace of mind that criminals will be prosecuted? At what cost does privacy outweigh freedom and security?  This isn't up for us to decide. We just watch where the dominoes fall.

November 3rd in America we all vote to decide with our pens what changes. If you want change help change things. Otherwise things will remain the same.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
17 minutes ago, speechles said:

Most people want police but do not like themselves being policed. It is natural to fear cameras and observation but it keeps people honest. Look at the UK for proof. Is it surveillance state or is it security and peace of mind that criminals will be prosecuted? At what cost does privacy outweigh freedom and security?  This isn't up for us to decide. We just watch where the dominoes fall.

Actually it is more like cameras and observation keeps normally honest people honest just like alarms and fancy locks and such things do little to really deter determined crooks. 

The best home protection is awareness of the neighborhood and a good dog. Generally a home with a dog is just too much trouble for crooks and they will visit others to avoid the hassle.

I do not believe that invasive surveillance does anything much to enhance security.

It is like the death penalty for murder does not really deter murders. But, I believe it would deter lesser crimes. If we had the death penalty for jaywalking there would be very little jaywalking. 

Cameras and observation keep everyone honest. You know you are being watched in most public areas. Some odd back alley, or some windy dirt road in the middle of nowhere the exception. But usually there is a camera at some location that captured your going about your day. To worry somehow that nefarious individuals are using this to track your individual movements so they can better assign billboards along your route to change to advertise specifically to you as you pass. That your location on your device pings off celltowers in a well enough defined order and trajectory to pretty much plan your route after the fact. There are other things besides cameras that catch a criminal.

The point of cameras are now to inject an AI into this to tell what to care about and what to breeze past. Right now the AI is being trained to recognize faces so it can spot burglars obviously. But the AI could be trained to spot any intruder into a space. Whether it be liquid, gas, or fire. During a flood the drone can show you moment by moment where the water levels is. Fly around above it to give your insurance agent immediate proof that yes your house is in fact under water. There are useful features. You cannot yourself get to the house if it is surrounded by wildfire. But you can use that little drone and fly around and peer out windows is it near the house yet? does the drone see smoke in the house? This is most certainly about insurance. I suspect Amazon did this at the behest of insurance companies. Give home owners a way to "be home" when they aren't home. During a gas leak the drone can fly around to inspect when a normal human would need a full respirator. The drone doesn't need to breathe, isnt afraid of fire, and isn't afraid of a burglars gun pointed at it...and it will not stop until you are dead. Once you train it to attack burglars we go full on skynet.

The new terminator mk3 with body armor piercing shells and shock armor body. Patrols your house when you aren't home. By Ring (an Amazon Company).

Edited by speechles

17 hours ago, speechles said:

Cameras and observation keep everyone honest. You know you are being watched in most public areas.

I think I can probably produce about 1,000 examples from the net that refute that statement... :D 

33 minutes ago, ebr said:

I think I can probably produce about 1,000 examples from the net that refute that statement... :D 

How so? You use a cellphone you are tracked. You pay to gas your car you are on camera. Say hi to the camera in the pump. They actually install mini displays to advertise on these pumps to get you to "look at the camera". You look at that display they got you. You paid with a credit card it is tracking you. It is multiple levels of "you were there". The car next to you is recording you through their dash cam. The actual video proof is secondary to the digital trail of purchases/logins/etc and cell phone pings. You are being watched even if it isn't through a camera. Observation isn't purely video. It is knowing where you were at a certain time in a certain area to implicate you as a suspect in a crime. Anyone at any moment can have you in the background of their selfie, cellphone video, Ring camera, etc. That selfie or video they upload to facebook or any website. Later on someone notices you were there. Then the dominoes fall. You must assume at all times you are being observed "in public". When you "get caught" depends on how many levels of observation you allow when you commit that crime.

Edited by speechles

16 minutes ago, speechles said:

How so?

Uhhh... I dunno, just browse YT for a couple secs and I can find tons of videos of people doing incredibly stupid things, stealing, rioting, even killing...

What I am saying is smart criminals. Obviously people who post crimes to youtube are glory. They want you to see it. They want to get caught. Problem is the inept law enforcement. The problem is people think being famous for crimes is celebrity. There is no such thing as "bad publicity". Remember that felon who robbed people at gunpoint but he was cute. He was so cute. People put his face on twitter and that guy got a modeling contract. He now shacks up with some hot model and lives the sweet life. Crime can pay. Those who put that on Youtube are proof.

But at the same time I mean those who are suspect zero type. Serial killers. The psycopaths who hunt others. The ones so clever it is near impossible to track their movements. Because of them we must allow certain things. You must give up certain freedoms to protect the security and peace of mind. With unlimited freedom comes anarchy and death. To protect against this threat we arm a small minority and train them to protect us. But they are failing. They need better tools to protect us. We need better tools to protect ourselves. That is sort of what this drone stuff is.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
34 minutes ago, speechles said:

What I am saying is smart criminals.

The "smart" criminals are almost all in Washington or other government positions, a corporate board room, the legal profession or some other profession that utilizes upholstered parasites. They are unconcerned about the lesser people except to scrape them off the soles of their shoes after walking all over them

I believe cameras really do not deter crime they and I do not believe presave surveillance has much of an impact of the catching of criminals. Yes many of the stupid criminals get caught but that was true before cameras became so numerous.

I, just speaking for me, do not care what cameras see when I am outside my home. But I will not allow the insidious devices inside my home except when I specifically turn them  on.

To quote a rather famous saying, "Yes, I’m Paranoid . But Am I Paranoid Enough?" I do not trust big government or big business or most of my neighbors and that means that I take some reasonable actions to avoid them knowing everything about me.

As I said earlier cameras, like locks, really only serve to keep honest people honest.

Remember this thread started because of discussion about allowing a surveillance device into your home and not really about the outside I can only control what is inside my home and I will never allow a device like mentioned into my home.

14 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I, just speaking for me, do not care what cameras see when I am outside my home. But I will not allow the insidious devices inside my home except when I specifically turn them  on.

You are a normal person in that case. Inside your house is intimate until you open the curtains and introduce observers. If the doors and closed. The windows are closed. By all means turn the cameras towards the wall. Put tape over the lenses. What you do inside your home is your business. What you do inside your home others may not do. What they do inside their homes you might never do. But together we are bonded by the first amendment. We have the freedom of expression. The freedom of speech. And you, black, white, Mexican, Chinese, green, yellow, purple, or whatever your sexual orientation or religion have a right to your privacy.

But when you are in public most of these rights vaporize. You have a right to exist in public. Others have a right to record what happens in public. The two rights continue to collide. People think they have a right to exist in public without having the moment captured. Those people are delusional. You sir are not those people nor am I. The drone thing is a cool idea I just would not want the thing in my bedroom. Private moments happen in bedrooms. But maybe kinky people use the thing in other ways to share those moments. They don't consider what happens in the bedroom private. Some people do. I know I do. :)

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
32 minutes ago, speechles said:

You are a normal person in that case

Why do you insult me? I am not normal. I am far from it, at least I hope so.😄👿

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." Margaret Mead 😝

BTW: I do not think the public or any private entity has the right to know everything and I believe the surveillance era is about the worst thing that has ever happened to society. I agree with Mark Twain: "There are laws to protect the freedom of the press's speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press" or from government surveillance or even intrusion  by other people.

The ease at which we can be surveilled is contrary to what I believe is right.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
addition

The power is in the people. Put the right people in power. That is all it takes. Laws change. People control their own fate. Destiny is just a lucid dream realized. It isn't fate. If you think we are headed in the wrong direction put your pen to paper and vote this November. Only roughly 55.7% of Americans of voting age choose to cast a ballot. The other 44.3% for some reason are disenfranchised of the entire process. Clearly they are.

Amazon is growing very powerful and without some constraint Bezos will become the Borg. You will be assimilated. The star trek version of terminator. Either way without more new people voting the same people are constantly voting. This means change isn't happening fast enough. This November I expect change in more areas than just the President of the United States. The only way to prevent more intrusion into your home with surveillance gadgets means laws need to happen to prevent it. Without those laws the technology runs rampant. First drones. Then comes Robocop.

Normal is a state of mind. When there is clearly a defined process of thought and you have conceptualized the difference between right and wrong. I consider you normal. You aren't a vile contemptible person who lies, cheats, steals and would sooner murder his own mother rather than hug her if it would earn him a dollar. Those type of people surveillance is meant to expose. Those who prey on children in parks waiting to snatch them away from errant parents who stop watching their child for just a moment. A moment is all it takes. These cameras potentially capture those moments. There is good intent.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C. S. Lewis

"Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone." John Maynard Keynes

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."  Friedrich Nietzsche