Suddenly emby doesn't let me log in and reports incorrect username / password

xd003

I had hosted the emby server on a vps just 2 hours ago . I am the admin and the only user currently

I had logged into the emby app in my android device using the wan access and was using it for past 2 hours

Just few minutes ago , i suddenly got logged out and now when i am trying to log in it says incorrect username or password ( although i am 100% sure I ain't entering any wrong credentials ) . The username and password both were merely 4 letters long

Nevertheless i thought that i would still just reset the pass , when i click on forgot password and enter my username - it just gets stuck there , nothing happens at all

I just checked in my vps and the emby server is active and running well 

Can someone please help me to find a way out of this situation , i really don't have any clue what just happened ?

=========================================

Edit - So apparently i was trying it continuously since this happened and just few seconds ago i got logged in , beleive me i used the very same credentials i was trying since the past 15 minutes

I have hosted the emby server v4.5.0.050 on a ubuntu vps . I think this might be a bug . I am posting the logs here . Hopefully it will be helpful to analyse what had happened . I also noticed that the library scan which was ongoing got cancelled once i was able to login after failed attempts for 15 mins

embyserver.txt

Edited by xd003

You ran out of space "System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: No space left on device"

Most likely until Emby finished scanning or aborted and did some house cleaning to free up space you were locked out.

Running out of disk storage isn't a good idea and will cause strange behaviour.

Happy2Play

The log suggest new transcodes can not start do to no space.  But yes there are other topics of this happening when Emby runs out of space and affect admin user or locks user out.

I would first Restart Emby to purge transcode folder and free up some space if possible.  May need to consider relocating transcode folder to a larger drive space.

• Like 1

Firstly i think in such cases , it might be better if the library scanning or playback stops and in emby dashboard it mentions that there is there is no disk space left to proceed further. ( Even better if it mentions the folder which needs to be relocated to a larger drive space. Getting incorrect user/pass prompt might also be due to someone actually entering a wrong password so i think it should not be occurring when disk space is over

Secondly @Happy2Play , is it the /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp directory that caused this issue in my case ? i would shift it to a larger drive space but before that i need to be very much sure which exact folder/folders ( out of the 4 ) caused all the space in vps to get over . From what little i know about emby , i have been told its the metadata folder which takes up most space. Also i would like to add that i have disabled transcoding in emby - Server - Users for my current admin user and hence  i would be surprised if transcoding folder is the one that consumed up all space

Edited by xd003

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, xd003 said:

Firstly i think in such cases , it might be better if the library scanning or playback stops and in emby dashboard it mentions that the there is no disk space  ( Even better if it mentions the folder which needs to be relocated to a larger drive space.

Secondly @Happy2Play , is it the /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp directory that caused this issue in my case ? i would shift it to a larger drive space but before that i need to be very much sure which exact folder/folders ( out of the 4 ) caused all the space in vps to get over . From what little i know about emby , i have been told its the metadata folder which takes up most space. Also i would like to add that i have disabled transcoding for my emby - Server - Users and hence  i would be surprised if transcoding folder is the one that consumed up all space

The log point to not being about write the stream/transcode segment to the /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp folder do to No space left on device.  Every item transcoded/streamed need at least that amount of space.

As for metadata folder it depends on library settings and type of thumbnail images selected and where they are saved, but yes could require the most space. 

How did you disable transcoding as that is what is failing do to no space?  But remember streaming will require space also.  Direct Play can require space also if client is not playing the media directly also.

2020-09-25 19:40:33.572 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8096/emby/videos/292/hls1/main/0.ts?DeviceId=59c00ae610a040d5&MediaSourceId=c34abe79e6f5f11c0d645a7d07fb28ec&PlaySessionId=fa88c01059b548b0934e8ccbed132375&VideoCodec=h264,mpeg2video,hevc&AudioCodec=ac3,aac,mp3&VideoBitrate=6808000&AudioBitrate=192000&AudioStreamIndex=1&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=6&SegmentContainer=ts&SegmentLength=3&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&ManifestSubtitles=vtt&hevc-profile=Main&h264-level=51&TranscodeReasons=VideoProfileNotSupported,DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false. Connection=Keep-Alive, Accept-Encoding=identity, Host=135.181.104.243:8096, User-Agent=Emby/3.1.37 (Linux;Android 10) ExoPlayerLib/2.11.4
2020-09-25 19:40:33.607 Error App: ProcessRun 'StreamTranscode 7de679': Error starting Ffmpeg
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.5.0.50
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Linux version 5.4.0-47-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-014) (gcc version 9.3.0 (Ubuntu 9.3.0-10ubuntu2)) #51-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 4 19:50:52 UTC 2020
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.7
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 1
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
    System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: No space left on device
       at System.IO.FileStream.WriteNative(ReadOnlySpan`1 source)
       at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWriteBuffer()
       at System.IO.FileStream.WriteSpan(ReadOnlySpan`1 source)
       at System.IO.FileStream.<>c.<WriteAsyncInternal>b__110_0(Task t, Object s)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop(Thread threadPoolThread, ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.IO.FileStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at System.IO.StreamWriter.Flush(Boolean flushStream, Boolean flushEncoder)
       at System.IO.StreamWriter.WriteLine(String value)
       at System.IO.TextWriter.SyncTextWriter.WriteLine(String value)
       at Emby.ProcessRun.Extensions.ProcessLogWriter.WriteLine(String line)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Unified.Ffmpeg.FfmpegRunner.OnBeforeStartProcess(StartParams processStartInfo)
       at Emby.ProcessRun.Runners.ProcessRunnerBase.Run(StartParams startParams)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Unified.Ffmpeg.FfRunnerBase.Start(String commandLineArgs)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void WriteNative(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Byte])

But how much free space are you working with?

7 hours ago, cayars said:

I hit enter by accident and wasn't finished. :)

In looking at your logs you need to check out our naming conventions for movies and shows.

https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159102
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159110

Thanks , will definitely check this out and rename all my content which follows the naming conventions ? Doing this is only good for the metadata and stuff or it might improve library scanning speeds too ?

20 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The log point to not being about write the stream/transcode segment to the /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp folder do to No space left on device.  Every item transcoded/streamed need at least that amount of space.

As for metadata folder it depends on library settings and type of thumbnail images selected and where they are saved, but yes could require the most space. 

How did you disable transcoding as that is what is failing do to no space?  But remember streaming will require space also.  Direct Play can require space also if client is not playing the media directly also.

But how much free space are you working with?

I have mounted all my content using rclone from my gsuite account 

And the vps currently has 40 gb of disk space , i thought it might be enough 

As you can see in the pic at bottom , i have disabled transcoding from there , do i need to change some more settings for it to get disabled ?

It would have made sense if the metadata folder was the one in need of more space as i have chosen all metadata settings , i wonder why is transcoding-temp asking for more space . I don't know much but going by the name isn't it supposed to store transcoded files only ( which i have disabled )?

IMG_20200926_085557_942.jpg

Edited by xd003

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, xd003 said:

I have mounted all my content using rclone from my gsuite account 

And the vps currently has 40 gb of disk space , i thought it might be enough 

As you can see in this pic , i have disabled transcoding from there , do i need to change some more settings for it to get disabled ?

It would have made sense if the metadata was the one in need of more space as i have chosen all metadata settings , i wonder why is transcoding-temp asking for more space . I don't know much but going by the name isn't it supposed to store transcoded files only ?

IMG_20200926_085557_942.jpg

Those setting will just prevent you from playing media that require is.  So any item that requires converting video or audio are now unplayable as the note in that image states and you should receive this pop up.  But it all comes back to media format.

pop.jpg.98e714133cfbe4fa46c6100b1cd6b938.jpg

2020-09-25 19:40:25.111 Info App: User policy for xd003. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: False EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: False
2020-09-25 19:40:25.112 Info App: Profile: VideoCodecProfile, DirectPlay=false. Reason=Unnamed.VideoProfile Condition: EqualsAny. ConditionValue: Main. IsRequired: False. 

But I am not seeing what in the video profile is causing the "&TranscodeReasons=VideoProfileNotSupported,DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false".  So a dev or someone will will have to comment more.  May need to enable debug logging to see more information.  Note your have to restart Emby when enabling and disabling debugging.  Dashboard-Logs

I also noticed that the library scan is just stuck at 88.2% from past 2 hours , don't really understand what's wrong

I wonder if it has anything to do with the errors you pointed out above. Here's the logs if it helps

embyserver..txt

I haven't looked but unless you've increased storage space you're going to run into issue after issue.
40 Gb is nothing storage wise.  You're going to want a system with something closer to a terabyte (maybe 1/2 TB) so you have plenty of room for OS. programs, logs, caching, transcoding.
Keep in mind you're scanning a "drive" that's mounted cross the Internet with a supplier that throttles your connections and your use of the system.

A VPS machine can be hit or miss as well as you're competing for system resources with other customers on the machine for CPU and storage IO and won't normally have access to a GPU for transcoding which stacks the deck against you.. Combine that with not having local storage but pulling it from the Internet from Google Drive and it just gets harder and harder.

What you have is "a fiddler's dream" because you'll constantly be fiddling with it trying to get it to work or finding out why something isn't working.  Can it work? Yes but it's far from ideal.
You would be far better off using an older computer you have around the house with a GPU in it and installing Emby on it, picking up a 4 to 8 TB USB drive to use for storage. Now you have a "set and forget" system that will just work that's dedicated to your media and always available without requiring internet for playback in your house.

7 hours ago, xd003 said:

Thanks , will definitely check this out and rename all my content which follows the naming conventions ? Doing this is only good for the metadata and stuff or it might improve library scanning speeds too ?

Quality of matching and figuring out what your content is plus making sure things like DELETE work properly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xd003 said:

I also noticed that the library scan is just stuck at 88.2% from past 2 hours , don't really understand what's wrong

I wonder if it has anything to do with the errors you pointed out above. Here's the logs if it helps

embyserver..txt 505.93 kB · 2 downloads

Try to access your GDRIVE from the VPS outside of Emby to make sure you haven't hit Google Throttling or cutoff limits.  Try to copy a file to the VPS or vice versa.