Questions?

PeteLocky

PeteLocky

Currently I have a synology ds918+ with 12gb ram 33tb storage and 2 x 250gb nvme cache drives... I am to put it together tomorrow the replacement, 16gb ram core i5 10400 recycle the drives but will be using the previous cache ssds as my base OS drives, naturally the performance increase should be quite huge in terms of raw power but I am wondering what OS to use? Currently I love the synology OS and need to make use of things such as reverse proxy / subdomains and many docker based apps, should I go with Windows or something like freenas or unraid? Any opinions welcome

PenkethBoy

xpenology comes to mind if you like the synology interface - works on most hardware - runs from a usb

but you would need to check out hardware support for you build - as its new you might find that an issue - when i played with it four years ago 99% just worked with default config

with a bit of fiddle time - it ran very nicely on at the time old and new hardware

there are dedicated forums for it - that were very active at the time - fixes came relatively quickly

Hopefully thats still the case - but a quick google search should confirm that

and there is a xpenology sub forum here as well under synology

As for other os's go with what you know - most if not all support docker these days - so other factors will come into play etc

PeteLocky

i had no idea that xpenology existed, going to try this before i do anything, once my case (fractal r6) comes tomorrow, going to install on a vm later to test, thanks a lot for the heads up, appreciated!