Apple 4K TV MPV Scaler

JySzE

MPV has a large number of available scalers we can use like spline36, lanczos etc, But it seems we are unable to set which one we would like to use with the Apple 4K TV MPV player.

I don't know what the default scaler is set for the Apple 4K TV Emby MPV player but It would be awesome if we could change it to our preferred one just like we can when we use the MPV player on our PC's.

On PC MPV's default scaler which is bilinear produces terrible aliased results :

67df2e175399b0476f1fd49ebed507b7301c59dc

Where as MPV with a better scaler like Spline36 set gets much better results :

6503c73bc21c74bb29ae5ceabfd6e4e80c146302

Emby's MPV player on the Apple 4K TV produces similar results to what we see with MPV's default scaling settings, which is unfortunate.

Is there anyway to add scaler customization to the Apple 4K TV Emby MPV player?

Trying to avoid having to buy a NUC or build a custom HTPC to get better scaled viewing.

Edited by JySzE

Hi @JySzE —

As those docs indicate those scalers are only supported with a “vo” of gpu or libmpv. The MPV player on the Apple TV app uses opengl-cb so I don’t believe these scalers will work. @Luke or @ebr can correct me if I’m wrong. 

Edited by corey

sooty234
5 hours ago, corey said:

Hi @JySzE —

As those docs indicate those scalers are only supported with a “no” of gpu or libmpv. The MPV player on the Apple TV app uses opengl-cb so I don’t believe these scalers will work. @Luke or @ebr can correct me if I’m wrong. 

What? That's vo not no 🙄

And crapple doesn't have much support for things like this. And even if it did, the ATV hardware probably couldn't keep up and you'd drop a lot of frames. 

38 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

What? That's vo not no 🙄

And crapple doesn't have much support for things like this. And even if it did, the ATV hardware probably couldn't keep up and you'd drop a lot of frames.

Only really looking to use this with SD footage as HD footage aliases way less with the already default scaler.

6 hours ago, corey said:

Hi @JySzE —

As those docs indicate those scalers are only supported with a “vo” of gpu or libmpv. The MPV player on the Apple TV app uses opengl-cb so I don’t believe these scalers will work. @Luke or @ebr can correct me if I’m wrong. 

"GPU renderer options"

"The following video options are currently all specific to --vo=gpu and --vo=libmpv only, which are the only VOs that implement them."

So apparently : image.png.c924433a0d341c4683c52db499d8b565.png

In the docs it says libmpv has replaced opengl-cb and I have seen online that other people have gotten spline36 working with opengl-cb in the past.

Thanks for the responses so far.

sooty234
34 minutes ago, JySzE said:

Only really looking to use this with SD footage as HD footage aliases way less with the already default scaler.

That's actually more work. As it's scaled to your display resolution, more pixels will need to be generated and interpolated. The lower the video resolution, the harder it is. Add other options like deband, and the work load increases. Apple TV is very limited, both in hardware and software. You realize that upscaling isn't intended to improve the picture quality, but some just do a better job than others. 

On 9/26/2020 at 4:08 PM, Luke said:

To answer the original question, yes it is certainly possible to add these sorts of options into the app.

...as long as the specific MPV implementation for the platform supports them.  Not all MPVs -even though named the same - are equal :).

• Like 1

vdatanet
On 9/26/2020 at 7:56 PM, sooty234 said:

What? That's vo not no 🙄

Apple TV is a good streaming box and it is not intended to play local content but Plex and Infuse have managed to get the most out of the device. Emby is one step behind them. Let's see what the new MPV build promised by @Luke holds for us.

sooty234
17 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Apple TV is a good streaming box and it is not intended to play local content but Plex and Infuse have managed to get the most out of the device. Emby is one step behind them. Let's see what the new MPV build promised by @Luke holds for us.

There are definitely some great developments that the mpv devs have made, but the entire of the apple platform just doesn't have wide support for things like this. EGL looks to have more future support than OpenGL. But apple is always very limited. Apple wants to make their platform super stable, so they minimize convolution. The less they use third party development, the more they can control how everything works. The result is....crapple.